Ultragauge showing DPF regen

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
I think ... First time I saw temps get this high lasted 4-5 miles.

MPG wrong I have yet to calibrate.

Only had hooked up for ~ 100 miles

Also think my temp gauge in car is broke. Ultragauge show it swinging around up n down 10-15 degrees and gauge in car just sits at 190

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
czeetah: Your temp gauge is just fine. It's not a true gauge. What is shows is a "buffered" temp from the ECU, meaning it won't show the real temp swing of the coolant. Most manufacturers have been putting in these dummy gauges for close to 20 years.
It's basically an "idiot light" with a false gauge face. It won't budge above 190 unless you're over 230f or so (IIRC), and in my opinion, that means it's too late to catch a coolant-related issue. That's why I always run a ScanGauge.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
czeetah: Your temp gauge is just fine. It's not a true gauge. What is shows is a "buffered" temp from the ECU, meaning it won't show the real temp swing of the coolant. Most manufacturers have been putting in these dummy gauges for close to 20 years.
It's basically an "idiot light" with a false gauge face. It won't budge above 190 unless you're over 230f or so (IIRC), and in my opinion, that means it's too late to catch a coolant-related issue. That's why I always run a ScanGauge.
It will start moving at 225+

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I've seen my coolant temps up around 218*F with my scanguage ii during a regen, pulling uphill this summer. Usually hangs around 206-211*F

Last edited:

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
Yay for idiot gauges!

lol

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The ultragauge looks pretty nice. I like how you can display 6 PIDs. I would recommend removing Cat B1S2 and replacing it with pre-turbo EGT.

As mentioned, the temp gauge buffer is from 166F - 225F. At 226F, the gauge will move up one step above 190F indicated. They have been like this since ~1999, perhaps earlier.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Finally got around to installing my Scangauge-II (thank you Dub & Drew).

Witnessed my first regen on the way to work tonight.

EGT and DPF temps hung between 950F to 1150F for around 4 minutes, water temp was around 225F, dash guage was a steady 180F.

Normal water temps are between 200F and 210F, dash gauge is always a steady 180F.

:rolleyes:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Yes it says 190. It's so close the needle is always blocking the numbers and it never moves no matter what, that's my point.

:)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Temp gauge moved up one click on me tonight climbing mountains in Idaho. Real temp was 225F. The car handles mountains so well that you don't even know you're climbing sometimes. :)

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
It moved in my 03 when the Tstat stuck closed. I didn't notice until the heater line splice from removing my WVO system ruptured. Glad it did or something much harder to replace would have.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all replies re: temp

Only issue with Ultragauge is it doesn't do Boost on the TDI

But for half price of other units and not needing to deal with android/iphone in car seems to be fair trade. Wish it had it.

coastie743

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI sport, 2014 Passat TDI SE Manual
I really like the idea of these.... thinking I need one for both vehicles... Any complaints with them?

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
Tells me when regen occuring, all I care about. Boost would be a nice touch though! But worth it to me to spend $100 more? No.

Others will do boost and I guess (?) better cal of MPG but from what I hear it's magic and voodoo to get MPG from a diesel OBDC connector.

It does allow an alarm so if I'm not paying attention bleeps at me and says "Alarm" on sensor. Nice feature so I don't have to think about checking it at all times.

Have an alarm setup for CAT Sensor 1 over 1050F, one for coolant over 220

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm curious as to why people want to know when a regen is occuring?
Knowledge is power.

When you know what's happening with your engine, you can make informed decisions. Such decisions might include whether or not to turn off the engine or whether or not to park in a pile of leaves. Monitoring your engine's behavior may even provide insight into its health and habits - regens too frequently/not enough, etc.

cheoah

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta PD, '14 Passat
I run an edge insight CTS in my diesel farm truck. It is good to know what is going on, especially trans temp and egt's on a haul.

Super skid, I think many of us would prefer to let a regen finish if we have the choice. I'd also like to confirm they are happening. If they aren't,,then,I might save replacing the DPF.

Sent from my iSomething using Tapatalk
Apologies for typos, truly too busy to edit

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
I'm curious as to why people want to know when a regen is occuring?
I like to know when regens are occurring for a few reasons.

1. As my daily driving commute is very routine I've learned that so are my regens. I want to know the frequency of my regens so if I see a deviation from the norm I can make a mental note of it. If the regen frequency is more or less, that alerts me that something has changed. Majority of regens happen between 250~300 miles. I now know I can consistently expect 2 ~3 regens per tank of fuel.

2. I do not want to stop the car during a regen as the turbocharger and DPF can run as hot as 1350F. A few times when I was within a few miles of home and the car went into a regen I just kept on going until the regen was complete. So far I have not had the car go into a regen while pulling into the parking lot at work. Probably because of the slower city driving I do that last few miles into work.

What I've learned: I have not had the car go into a regen during stop & go city driving. Regens have always started when I have been driving at highway speeds. The regen can be completed in as little as 5~6 miles if I can maintain highway speeds for the duration. If there are some stops mixed in the regen can go as long as 10 miles. I can't recall a regen lasting more than 12 miles in mixed city/highway driving.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Thanks for all replies re: temp

Only issue with Ultragauge is it doesn't do Boost on the TDI

But for half price of other units and not needing to deal with android/iphone in car seems to be fair trade. Wish it had it.

Thats kinda sad that you cannot get boost as well. I can read my PSI (thru the MAP sensor on the intercooler) and it even subtracts ambient for me in my ALH Golf. Yes its an Ultragage.

and Lawson, you can show up to 8 PIDs on an Ultragage at a time.

and there are multiple screens so you can have 7 or 8 screens showing 4, 6 or8 PIDs per screen, and have it cycle thru them automatically, or just look at the same screen all the time. easy enough to flip screens.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thats kinda sad that you cannot get boost as well. I can read my PSI (thru the MAP sensor on the intercooler) and it even subtracts ambient for me in my ALH Golf. Yes its an Ultragage.
and Lawson, you can show up to 8 PIDs on an Ultragage at a time.
and there are multiple screens so you can have 7 or 8 screens showing 4, 6 or8 PIDs per screen, and have it cycle thru them automatically, or just look at the same screen all the time. easy enough to flip screens.
Sounds like a nice setup. :cool:

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
...I now know I can consistently expect 2 ~3 regens per tank of fuel.

What I've learned: I have not had the car go into a regen during stop & go city driving. Regens have always started when I have been driving at highway speeds. The regen can be completed in as little as 5~6 miles if I can maintain highway speeds for the duration. If there are some stops mixed in the regen can go as long as 10 miles. I can't recall a regen lasting more than 12 miles in mixed city/highway driving.

^^^Same experience for me. I keep a trip computer counting miles between regens, and reset it every time I see one start. This way I can keep track of how many miles I go between each regen and get a good idea when the next one will be. For me, if I have been doing a good bit of city driving and it has been over 250 miles since my last regen, I can "coax" a regen out of the car by hopping on the loop for a few minutes and following it until the regen finishes.

Only once have I ever had my car enter a regen during stop-and-go driving, and it was in the McDonald's drive thru!:eek:

TurboDieselPoint

TurboDieselPoint

Last edited:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
When we got that blast of 0F weather I notice some changes with the regens.

It was around ~5F when the car went into a regen for almost 20 miles/minutes. I believe the extended regen time was that the colder weather was keeping the EGT & DPF temps a bit lower than optimal so a longer burn-off time was needed. EGT and DPF temps were between 1050F and 1150F, at least 100F to 150F lower than what I see in warmer weather (say above 40F). I watched the boost cycle between 15PSI and 20PSI trying to keep the EGT and DPF temps high.

As I was on the interstate using the cruise control the car ran just fine. Without the ScanGauge-II I never would have noticed anything going on.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
When we got that blast of 0F weather I notice some changes with the regens.
It was around ~5F when the car went into a regen for almost 20 miles/minutes. I believe the extended regen time was that the colder weather was keeping the EGT & DPF temps a bit lower than optimal so a longer burn-off time was needed. EGT and DPF temps were between 1050F and 1150F, at least 100F to 150F lower than what I see in warmer weather (say above 40F). I watched the boost cycle between 15PSI and 20PSI trying to keep the EGT and DPF temps high.
As I was on the interstate using the cruise control the car ran just fine. Without the ScanGauge-II I never would have noticed anything going on.
That's a lot! I see higher boost readings during regen--typically 8-12 psi with cruise control set at ~65, but rarely do I ever see it go to 20 PSI on cruise even during a regen unless I'm going uphill or something.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
It hit 20PSI on a few peaks, never sustained. 15PSI to 18PSI was more in line of what it was doing.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The Ultragauge folks also make another model that is presumably TDI compatible, the EM Plus for about $10 more, that shows it reading out boost pressure. I'm trying to confirm this.

Mugs

TDI
2014 Jetta, comfortline 6 spd /man
The Ultragauge folks also make another model that is presumably TDI compatible, the EM Plus for about $10 more, that shows it reading out boost pressure. I'm trying to confirm this.
I just bought one I'll let you know, when I get it should be soon.