Ultimate Daily Driver: 4Motion TDI B5.5 Wagon 6MT

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
B5.5 Passat 4motion 6-speed Wagon
Im still yet in the early stages of starting this build. IMO this will be the Ultimate Daily Driver: A b5.5 wagon 4Motion TDI.

So far I have accumulated two vehicles:

1. TDI sedan
2. V6 glx 4motion wagon

Don't feel to bad for the sedan, the Interior is trashed and smells of smoke and the autotragic transmission was shot, only had reverse. Last weekend I pulled the donor engine. Wow is it sludgy! I've ordered a cylinder head re-gasket kit and started to clean up all the sludge. I have found that timing was documented a bit less 40k ago, so I will not be doing it at this time. I pulled the oil pan off to see they had not done a balance shaft delete so that kit was also ordered from Kerma.

The wagon is a very clean GLX v6 4motion with the black leather interior that I have been looking for. The v6 engine timing has skipped so it is the perfect base vehicle for this conversion. That engine is next to be pulled next, maybe this weekend while I'm waiting for my new gaskets and parts.

I will be using an o2x 6 speed transmission. code: GJW. Most will use the GVE, but I have opted for the GJW because the final drive of 4.11 will match the factory 4motion triptronic differential and the factory 4motion driveshaft should be the correct length. The GJW will still yield fine gear ratios for tdi. If calculated correctly I should see 2950RPM @ 80MPH with a stock 205 55 16 tire. I dont plan to be driving 80mph very often, but good to know for reference anyhow. I have also accumulated the full manual pedal assembly and shift box to convert the v6 wagon to manual. I Can’t wait to keep plugging away. Will update slowly, not very great with taking pictures and documenting so trying something new here. How do I go about posting images on the thread? Thanks!

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Down side of your build is the gear ratios will be off bad (too short). You need to source a Euro TDI 4 motion gearbox and a matching rear diff

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
I will be using an o2x 6 speed transmission. code: GJW. Most will use the GVE, but I have opted for the GJW because the final drive of 3.889 will match the factory 4motion differential and the factory 4motion driveshaft should be the correct length. The GJW will still yield fine gear ratios for tdi. If calculated correctly I should see 2700RPM @ 80MPH with a stock 205 55 16 tire.
I think you're a little mixed up; GJW uses a 4.11 final drive and GVE uses a 3.889. Both of those ratios came stock in 4Motion B5 Passat (check the stamping on the bottom of the rear diff to verify your ratio), but I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the stock rear diff; B6, B7, and C5 rear diffs will all interchange, are available in both of those ratios in North America, and are plentiful enough (can even use the same diff as the 02X donor).

Down side of your build is the gear ratios will be off bad (too short). You need to source a Euro TDI 4 motion gearbox and a matching rear diff
A GVE 02X from a 2.0T B6/B7 actually gives reasonably good ratios for a TDI. 6th is 0.658 with a 3.889 final drive. With this transmission, the Euro TDI gearbox is only marginally better.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
I think you're a little mixed up; GJW uses a 4.11 final drive and GVE uses a 3.889. Both of those ratios came stock in 4Motion B5 Passat (check the stamping on the bottom of the rear diff to verify your ratio), but I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the stock rear diff; B6, B7, and C5 rear diffs will all interchange, are available in both of those ratios in North America, and are plentiful enough (can even use the same diff as the 02X donor).

A GVE 02X from a 2.0T B6/B7 actually gives reasonably good ratios for a TDI. 6th is 0.658 with a 3.889 final drive. With this transmission, the Euro TDI gearbox is only marginally better.
Your correct! Sorry been playing with all the ratios for quite some time it is 4.11 which matches the triptronic rear diff i have in my vehicle! Thanks for the clarification!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Following this.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Figured out how to upload pictures. Heres my updated progress so far. Just working on cleaning engine up and replacing needed gaskets and doing the balance shaft delete while its out.

Donor Sedan

4mo wagon glx base

Sedan was pulled into the garage and got the engine ready to be pulled

Never have pulled a b5 passat front clip off. Very easy and straight forward.

Engine came out fairly quickly, got hung up a bit on tunnel with the transmission. Next time I will adjust the engine hoist straps better so I can get a proper downward tilt. Engine harness was very simple to pull with engine as well. My Mk2 gti VRT syncro conversion sits in the background.

I decided to get pulling off the accessories to everything cleaned up. The engine was very sludgy. Lack of gasket maintenence. I ordered a whole cylinder head installation gasket kit to freshen it all up.

Very satisfying after image of above

Took the oil pan off to see if the Balance Shafts still remained after 270k miles unfortunately. Ordered a Balance shaft delete kit with ALH parts

ASV broke when trying to remove plug... very brittle :(

Valve cover gasket was very brittle!!! Im guessing this is where all that oil sludge is coming from! New valve cover gasket will be installed!

pulled off tandem pump, coolant flange and rear main seal and replaced with NEW after cleaning up of course

Glad I also ordered a new coolant temperature gasket as well this one was about to give

Last night got the turbo manifold and turbo installed with new gasket and copper bolts. Turbo has some slight shaft play so will run it for now. Seems like I have decent access to when it was in the engine bay? tell me if im wrong please!!

This is all for now. Brought home a new puppy last weekend so time will be limited coming up! Trying to escape out to the garage a couple more nights this coming weekend to finish install the parts I removed and making my way towards the Drivers side of the engine to clean it up. Following that I will pull the wagon in the garage and remove the v6! Ordered my SMF clutch kit and USP slave cylinder and S.S. line for an easier auto to manual conversion.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Figured out how to upload pictures. Heres my updated progress so far. Just working on cleaning engine up and replacing needed gaskets and doing the balance shaft delete while its out.

Donor Sedan

4mo wagon glx base

Sedan was pulled into the garage and got the engine ready to be pulled

Never have pulled a b5 passat front clip off. Very easy and straight forward.

Engine came out fairly quickly, got hung up a bit on tunnel with the transmission. Next time I will adjust the engine hoist straps better so I can get a proper downward tilt. Engine harness was very simple to pull with engine as well. My Mk2 gti VRT syncro conversion sits in the background.

I decided to get pulling off the accessories to everything cleaned up. The engine was very sludgy. Lack of gasket maintenence. I ordered a whole cylinder head installation gasket kit to freshen it all up.

Very satisfying after image of above

Took the oil pan off to see if the Balance Shafts still remained after 270k miles unfortunately. Ordered a Balance shaft delete kit with ALH parts

ASV broke when trying to remove plug... very brittle :(

Valve cover gasket was very brittle!!! Im guessing this is where all that oil sludge is coming from! New valve cover gasket will be installed!

pulled off tandem pump, coolant flange and rear main seal and replaced with NEW after cleaning up of course

Glad I also ordered a new coolant temperature gasket as well this one was about to give

Last night got the turbo manifold and turbo installed with new gasket and copper bolts. Turbo has some slight shaft play so will run it for now. Seems like I have decent access to when it was in the engine bay? tell me if im wrong please!!

This is all for now. Brought home a new puppy last weekend so time will be limited coming up! Trying to escape out to the garage a couple more nights this coming weekend to finish install the parts I removed and making my way towards the Drivers side of the engine to clean it up. Following that I will pull the wagon in the garage and remove the v6! Ordered my SMF clutch kit and USP slave cylinder and S.S. line for an easier auto to manual conversion.
Its crazy to see the balance shaft was still in there after 270k miles. I've got one right now that the BSM failed at less than 200k miles. I wonder what makes some last longer? Using 505.01 spec oil?
That'll be one sweet car when its done! I like my tdi wagons, and like my W8 wagon which is awd, except for the bad rap it gets for reliability and the fuel economy, which is around 16-20 mpg on premium fuel... to combine them would be great.
I hope you replaced the coolant temp sensor as well, not just the gasket. They're a pain to do in the car and like to fail.
The turbo isn't too hard to do, though by no means easy. If it has in and out play, I'd replace it, but if its just up and down and just slight, I wouldn't worry too much.
For pulling the transmission and engine, its not that hard to drop the whole subframe. The bad part about that is itll need aligned, and most shops don't have the ability to do those correctly, but oilhammer does from what I have heard, and he's not too far from you.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Its crazy to see the balance shaft was still in there after 270k miles. I've got one right now that the BSM failed at less than 200k miles. I wonder what makes some last longer? Using 505.01 spec oil?
That'll be one sweet car when its done! I like my tdi wagons, and like my W8 wagon which is awd, except for the bad rap it gets for reliability and the fuel economy, which is around 16-20 mpg on premium fuel... to combine them would be great.
I hope you replaced the coolant temp sensor as well, not just the gasket. They're a pain to do in the car and like to fail.
The turbo isn't too hard to do, though by no means easy. If it has in and out play, I'd replace it, but if its just up and down and just slight, I wouldn't worry too much.
For pulling the transmission and engine, its not that hard to drop the whole subframe. The bad part about that is itll need aligned, and most shops don't have the ability to do those correctly, but oilhammer does from what I have heard, and he's not too far from you.
Right! thats what I thought was crazy! I thought at least they would have done the geared conversion, but its still original chain?

I appreciate that I just had this epiphany to create this car combination even though its been done hundres of times! W8s sound amazing if you can keep it running do it! They are becoming so sparse.

Thanks for letting me know about the coolant sensor I just ordered one. Ill check for in and out play thanks for that!

I'm not sure if I want to mess with the subframes just because of the alignment problems people have but we will see. Its another great option definitely! Good to know oilhammer knows how if in the future I decide to go this route.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Right! thats what I thought was crazy! I thought at least they would have done the geared conversion, but its still original chain?

I appreciate that I just had this epiphany to create this car combination even though its been done hundres of times! W8s sound amazing if you can keep it running do it! They are becoming so sparse.

Thanks for letting me know about the coolant sensor I just ordered one. Ill check for in and out play thanks for that!

I'm not sure if I want to mess with the subframes just because of the alignment problems people have but we will see. Its another great option definitely! Good to know oilhammer knows how if in the future I decide to go this route.
I plan to keep it running unless something catastrophic happens to the engine. Cascade german has a 3.0 v6 tdi which is from a euro audi a4 which they're selling for a really good price, that would be my dream for it lol, but not an easy swap or cheap either.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
I plan to keep it running unless something catastrophic happens to the engine. Cascade german has a 3.0 v6 tdi which is from a euro audi a4 which they're selling for a really good price, that would be my dream for it lol, but not an easy swap or cheap either.
That would be amazing!

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
Following with keen interest! I would come and help (and learn) if the distance was a little closer :)

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
I didnt get into the garage much this weekend unfortunately. Man the amount of hours im cleaning parts on this engine is a huge time suck and feels like im not making much progress. I reminded myself that this will not be a show car and does not need perfection.

AC compressor and bracket was disgusting.

Oil feed tube line broke (very rusty) when removing turbo to clean and install new manifold gasket so needed a replcement. OEM was $150 to $200 this SS braided line from Kerma was a good fit and was $90

used oem clips

Balance Shaft delete will be next!

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Was able to pop out to the garage today and get a bit of work done on the BHW engine.

Removing Serpentine belt

Timing Covers off

Made my own tool for loosening the crankshaft pulley bolt. Used an angle iron weled together at a 90. The first one was bending!! So I added another 90 and welded them together.

Broke an 3/8 to 1/2 adapter because I didnt have a 1/2 19mm 12 point... Had to run to the store after this happened to get the 1/2 version.

Close up of the tool

Removed the timing belt

Removed the cover to reveal crankshaft oil pump gear. Found a broken tensioner, with deep grooves!!!

Something seems to be missing..... :p

Balance shaft assembly out and will stay out!

Tried pulling off the oil pump crankshaft gear and it broke quite a bit. All I had was a large 3 jaw removal tool and a small 2 jaw.

I didn't want to remove the cap on the crankshaft to tap off the gear because I didn't have new bolts to put back in. I decided to make a careful small incision into the gear. I was able to crack it with light tap of a chisel and hammer and slide the gear off the crankshaft with no marks.

Time to reverse all this tomorrow. Seemed like a good stopping point for the evening.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Sunday 2/5 Update

Went straight for drilling the balance shaft oil hole with the 11/32 bit and attempted to tap. Was doing the correct method of one turn in and backing it out... and it snapped inside the block. It set me back a few hours.

Attempted to use a vice grips and other pliers to try and remove the tap, but no luck. I resorted to welding a nut on the end and was able to get it out.

Here lies the broken remains...

Instead of running back out to the store I decided to keep moving on with the ALH oil pump install. Got the oil pump bench primed, bolted up. The 3rd bolt hole towards the back is also used for the ALH windage/baffle plastic tray.

Do these tabs need to be shaved off on the ALH baffle/windage tray as the BHW hole will be blocked off and far to small? @oilhammer

Moved onto the crankgear for the oil pump chain. Put it in the oven for 20min at 430ish.... Color looks very cool hopefully I didnt damage it by too much heat?? Slipped right on the crank with ease.

Got the chain and tensioner on. So much cleaner and simpler without that balance shaft assembly.

Got a new front main seal pressed into cover and bolted up with gasket maker and proceeded with putting back on the timing belt. (no pics)
Need to do a final timing check, and torque that main crankshaft bolt to spec. I also have to finish plugging that hole with a new tap. The only other thing left I have planned for the engine is replacing the oil cooler gasket and coolant temp sensor while it remains out. Thanks @Mozambiquer for the tip. Ill make the sedan a roller again and put it outside and bring the 4mo wagon in this week. Ill try and pull the v6 this upcoming weekend!

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Update 2/13. Spent a lot of time out in the garage this weekend! It took me quite some time to locate another 1/8th npt tap locallly. went to 5 ace hardware stores to find one. All their sites said they had them in stock. The last store I went to the tap was hiding behind a row of another size. What a pain...

I couldn't get the provided tap plug flush with the block, but it was as far in as I could comfortably get it.. I tried a 23/64 bit even to try and get a slightly larger hole for the 1/8 npt tap. It helped a bit but not much. I slathered it in red Loctite and torqued it down as much as I could.

I decided to order a timing kit and just replace it while the engine is out in the end. So Its pretty much all I could do with the engine up until this point. I decided to push the sedan outside and get the v6 4motion car in. Its a bit sad this cars engine was so neglected. Leaking oil in multiple spots and a hole in the passenger timing cover due to suspected worn guides on the timing chain. CEL free though.

They really cram this v6 in the engine compartment.

The last time this car will be seeing that auto slapshifter.

front clip off...

Wow... finally out... this thing was a pain in comparison to the tdi

Empty engine compartment for the TDI to rest!

Next up is timing on TDI engine, cleaning up the wagons engine bay and swapping over TDI components from the sedan over to the wagon

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
This is a sweet build. What vehicles came with the GJW? I came across an 04 TDI b5.5 5 motion wagon. 5 speed with bad 1.8t and it looks like a good clean car for a TDI conversion.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
This is a sweet build. What vehicles came with the GJW? I came across an 04 TDI b5.5 5 motion wagon. 5 speed with bad 1.8t and it looks like a good clean car for a TDI conversion.
Thank you! Hope it comes together smoothly 😋. Its from a B6 1.8t 6 speed. I will source a GVE and rear diff out while I'm putting this together though. I haven't confirmed yet if my GJW has a vss signal or abs for speed. I heard some early o2x still have the vss signal which would actually be pretty neat for me. but cruising higher hwy speeds with the GJW wont be the most TDI friendly unfortunately.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you! Hope it comes together smoothly 😋. Its from a B6 1.8t 6 speed. I will source a GVE and rear diff out while I'm putting this together though. I haven't confirmed yet if my GJW has a vss signal or abs for speed. I heard some early o2x still have the vss signal which would actually be pretty neat for me. but cruising higher hwy speeds with the GJW wont be the most TDI friendly unfortunately.
The Passat instrument cluster can have a bit flipped in the EEPROM to get the speed signal through CAN from the ABS module. Alternatively, depending on what type of ABS module the car has, there may be a pin that can be added to the ABS plug that provides a speed signal. Those are going to be your two easiest options for the speedo.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
How does the gearing compare to the DVZ? Before I parked my Passat I was plenty happy with my daily commute on a slightly lower gear transmission. @75 I was cutting 3000 rpms and 40 plus mpg so it didn't bother me.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The Passat instrument cluster can have a bit flipped in the EEPROM to get the speed signal through CAN from the ABS module. Alternatively, depending on what type of ABS module the car has, there may be a pin that can be added to the ABS plug that provides a speed signal. Those are going to be your two easiest options for the speedo.
Is there a way to use a Passat cluster and ECU to get crusie control to operate without programming in different inputs on the rpms/speed gear ratios?

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there a way to use a Passat cluster and ECU to get crusie control to operate without programming in different inputs on the rpms/speed gear ratios?
No, the cruise control is handled by the ECU, and requires the gear ratios to be programmed within a certain range of accuracy.

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
Thats sounds a lot more simple than I imagined! Thanks for that info!

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
How does the gearing compare to the DVZ? Before I parked my Passat I was plenty happy with my daily commute on a slightly lower gear transmission. @75 I was cutting 3000 rpms and 40 plus mpg so it didn't bother me.
The online gear ratio calculator states the GJW will yield 82 mph at 3000 rpm. The GVE would yield 86 mph at the same 3000rpm. Looks like the DVZ yields 76mph at 3000rpm according to the online calculator. So much better than I anticipated.

Last edited:

ImperfektMechaniker

TDI
3/6 Update
Been a couple weeks but wanted to accumulate a bit more content before posting again.

I started stripping the Drivers side of the engine. Needed lots of clean up.

Removed the thermostat housing pipe and the oil cooler gasket and cleaned up the block and hoses. Looks like I need a new dip stick tube too... Held together by a silicone coupler?

New oil cooler filter housing gasket

New Oil cooler gasket

New oil cooler cap gasket

New oil filter

New Thermostat and gasket

Forgot the turbo oil drain gasket last time so replaced that

Put back together, cleaner than before for sure!

Decided to bite the bullet and just replace the timing belt along with the tensioner, roller and new water pump.

Also decided to replace all the intercooler gaskets as I have heard they are prone to leaking.

And replaced that coolant temp sensor while out like @Mozambiquer recommended.

Onto the engine bay cleaning and prep
subframe sludge from leaking v6

After...

The whole engine bay looked similar to this frame rail.

After...

Cleaner engine bay

Had to transfer a few TDI items over to this v6 car.
List includes:
1. Starter power cable/ v6 would work but had an extra bridge for alternator. The BHW harness already had a built in one.
2. BHW heatercore hoses
3. BHW Intercooler bracket and Intercooler
4. BHW Power steering feed and High pressure line
5. Bracket for harness connections ( not needed but cleans it up and cord management)

Because I'm using the o2x the mounting points on the subframe are not used. The o2x uses a undermount bracket. I had seen it used once before with some modification of the chassis or so I was told. The main 18mm bolts line up.

Test fitted and found that the outer skin of this portion of the frame rail needed to be removed.

Tabs removed and exposed inner skin.

Test fitted with this section removed and it gives it perfect clearance. Looks like it was meant to be there. Welded the sections up and grinded smooth. Will paint before installing of course. It was a bit of a pain to weld because of the melting waxy substance in the frame rail shorting out a good bead. Im not a welder by trade by any means.

Grinded mainly smooth

Fitted 02x trans brace

As far as the the other two holes on the brace I plan on drilling holes into the frame rails and using nutserts to thread the factory 13mm bolts in. the 18mm bolts should be fine alone, but might as well do it as factory spec as I can.

Next I'm waiting for a clutch release bearing before mounting the transmission to the engine. Then I can potentially get the engine and transmission mounted in the engine bay. That will be a very happy day!

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
Nice build.
What is the module is below the frame rail?
In your picture of the whole engine bay look similar to this frame rail.