ULSD rules finally enacted -and- what does it me for me?

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
June 1, 2006, Rollout of Cleaner-Burning Diesel Fuel Enables Advanced Pollution Control for Cars, Trucks, and Buses
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/highway-diesel/index.htm

So, if I read this correctly, sometime this summer ULSD will be replacing regular diesel.

It's the sulpher content in diesel fuel that prevents better emissions technology in cars/trucks/etc. Correct?

Regardless of technology in my TDI, the reduction of sulpher should reduce air pollution. Correct?

What type of emissions reduction technologies are currently in my TDI ('03 Jetta) and will they be more effective with ULSD?

Do you think it'll be possible to retrofit my "older" TDI in '07 or '08 with the better emissions technology to further reduce my emissions.

cavuseeker

TDI
2006 PD Jetta Wheat Beige
pastvast said:
June 1, 2006, Rollout of Cleaner-Burning Diesel Fuel Enables Advanced Pollution Control for Cars, Trucks, and Buses
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/highway-diesel/index.htm

So, if I read this correctly, sometime this summer ULSD will be replacing regular diesel.

It's the sulpher content in diesel fuel that prevents better emissions technology in cars/trucks/etc. Correct?

Regardless of technology in my TDI, the reduction of sulpher should reduce air pollution. Correct?

What type of emissions reduction technologies are currently in my TDI ('03 Jetta) and will they be more effective with ULSD?

Do you think it'll be possible to retrofit my "older" TDI in '07 or '08 with the better emissions technology to further reduce my emissions.
There are threads on this over in the Fuels and Lubrication section.

In a nutshell, ULSD won't effect your machine at all. There are cat converters that can lower NOx emissions, but the sulpher kills them, like lead did with the cat converters on gassers back in the 70's.

Yes, less sulpher is good, reduces acid rain.

ULSD is necessary to fit equipment that will allow manufacturers to meet the 2007 EPA requirements, Tier II Bin 5. This is why VW won't have any passenger cars next year in diesel, they will be switching to common rail fuel systems and have to put on all the particulate traps and cat converters and such for the 08 model year.

IMHO, EPA royally screwed up by requiring the emissions standards and the fuel at the same time. They should have required the fuel some months or years ahead of time, as this is a chicken and egg scenario.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
As the PDs already have the DOC (diesel oxygen catalytic converter), I do not believe that sulfur "kills" a DOC like leaded gasoline will kill a gas cat.

It does have so much crud in it that the emissions will not work right (there is a second device, and UREA injection being one way to get the NOX down in a 2007 compliant engine), and I believe its integrated with the particulate trap.

We had 1,000ppm sulfur up here, and supposedly it did not kill the DOC (we are well on our way to 15 at this writing).

High sulfur will fault the emissions system such that it will be out of specification, hence the requirement in a full 2007 complaint engine not to use anything other than ULSD, but it will not destroy it (I do not think, it certainly does not destroy the DOC as 500ppm was the norm for the rest of the country.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Sulfer doesn't kill the DOC, my 99.5 has one two... the 91 ECOdiesel was the first VW to have one fitted. What sulfer does do is foul NOx and particle traps, which is why our cars don't have them.

-Jason