UK : Rav4 Diesel vs Tiguan TDI

Lineman

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less... own a RAM 1500 Diesel now
In the UK there is a new Rav4 diesel available, in direct competition with the Tiguan TDI.

The new Rav4 diesel even has better fuel economy than the Tiguan TDI :

"Fuel economy is also best-in-class with an official 48.7mpg in combined cycle driving – 10 per cent better than its closest competitor, the 2.0 TDi 4motion Volkswagen Tiguan, which musters 44.1mpg."

From the following :
http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/car-leasing-news/index.php/2009/09/22/new-rav4-is-better-than-ever/

Sounds like some excellent competition.

Who will be the first manufacturer to sell a diesel compact SUV in the USA?

Hopefully VW will get off their butt and realize that other companies are quickly encroaching on the diesel market, and may be over taken if they don't offer the vehicles the people really want.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I'm going to get flamed for saying this... but the main difference is how much time you want the car to spend at the shop. I'm betting the RAV4 is going to spend more time on the road between minor inconveniences.

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Lineman said:
In the UK there is a new Rav4 diesel available, in direct competition with the Tiguan TDI.

The new Rav4 diesel even has better fuel economy than the Tiguan TDI :

"Fuel economy is also best-in-class with an official 48.7mpg in combined cycle driving – 10 per cent better than its closest competitor, the 2.0 TDi 4motion Volkswagen Tiguan, which musters 44.1mpg."

From the following :
http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/car-leasing-news/index.php/2009/09/22/new-rav4-is-better-than-ever/

Sounds like some excellent competition.

Who will be the first manufacturer to sell a diesel compact SUV in the USA?

Hopefully VW will get off their butt and realize that other companies are quickly encroaching on the diesel market, and may be over taken if they don't offer the vehicles the people really want.
Sad to say but I believe VW will fail in this opportunity as well. VW seems to have this innate ability to snatch failure from the jaws of success. Look at the POLO which I believe if priced right could substantially increase their market share. Team it up with the South American small truck and I see their share prices going up up up!!:eek: