Ugh, now there's a downside to parking the TDI...

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Ugh, now there's another downside to parking the TDI...

I've got the Passat parked in a secure lot at work, right on the waterfront. It's been there since the end of September. I'm planning on a February buyback. I've started the car twice and driven it once in that time.

A guy I work with came back from a two week trip. His 4Runner had been parked in the same lot. The vehicle threw some codes, so it took it in. Turns out a rat or some other toothy critter chewed through his wire harness. He's facing a $3500 repair bill!!!

Hopefully our rat prefers a Japanese meal over southern cooking.

johncanfield

TDI
Sold back - 2014 TDI SEL
Our Passat is sleeping in my shop until 12 January. We live on a ranch and have four barn cats that patrol day and night or everything parked outside would get chewed up.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Living at the edge of a forest in Vermont, every car left outside is guaranteed to have its hood liner chewed up, and mouse nests built in the air filter box.

The cars stay in a garage with tight doors, and poison vermin baits spread around the garage floor. Even with the tight doors, a dead mouse is seen now and then on the garage floor.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
And here I thought the worst that would happen is a bit of premature salt water-caused corrosion.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
A guy I work with came back from a two week trip. His 4Runner had been parked in the same lot. The vehicle threw some codes, so it took it in. Turns out a rat or some other toothy critter chewed through his wire harness. He's facing a $3500 repair bill!!!
About a month ago I noticed a critter was eating nuts under the hood of mine (I saw nut shells on the battery box). So I put some mothballs under the hood to help prevent this problem. The car smelled like a urinal cake, but at least it ran without throwing any codes, and there were no more nut shells after I did this.

uncle fishhead

TDI
2012 Golf
I used Bounce fabric softener sheets, liberally sprinkled throughout the TDI interior and engine compartment. They are reputed to repel squirrels. Car was also kept parked in my shed. After 2-3 months parked, it's now VW's problem, no longer mine.

Squirrels have previously eaten the wire harness of my old pickup, several Ethernet cables in my attic, and some solar panel wiring. I now check my soffits and overhangs frequently, have installed sheet metal in the vulnerable spots, and have 1/2" mesh around the panels.

Last edited:

akafirestorm

TDI
JSW 2011
About a month ago I noticed a critter was eating nuts under the hood of mine (I saw nut shells on the battery box). So I put some mothballs under the hood to help prevent this problem. The car smelled like a urinal cake, but at least it ran without throwing any codes, and there were no more nut shells after I did this.
Yep this happens to me every winter. Squirrels love the secure hiding spot. When they start to come around I use these Fresh Cab pouches keeps mice out and seems the Squirrels don't like it either. One on the engine oil cap two on the soft battery cover.

Heck I throw a couple in the car darn things smell good. Fresh pine needles.

http://www.earthkind.com/products/featured-fresh-cab-rodent-repellent

pcskier

TDI
2014 JSW 6sp, no sunroof
My check engine light came on and the brake lights were "always on" if the car was running, after a 3-day weekend parked at a buddy's house in Montana. Took it in under warranty, learned it was due to chewed wiring. Fortunately just needed some re-soldering repairs, 300 bucks.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
After 4½ months mothballed at my workplace bay front apparently rat infested but I'd never know it parking lot, the Passat had no indications of a chewed through wiring harness like my unfortunate co-worker's 4Runner, and was turned in today with only a "check tires" warning illuminated.

Maybe my coworker took the critter with him!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
"The cars stay in a garage with tight doors-"

This is irrelevant. A mouse can go through a hole the size of a dime. We lived in the country for over 40 years, never kept them out, and never knew anyone else who did. My best solution was bait blocks under the hood, the theory being they'll eat the bait before they eat the wires.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Time to get yourself a couple of cats now.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
.22's hard to come by in NYS. Thanks Gov. had to upgrade
410 for Reds , Grays don't bother much.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Time to get yourself a couple of cats now.

When I was a kid we had a bunch of mice in our house so we got a cat. Within a week all the mice were gone. As the cat only caught one (that we knew of), I assume that the mice can sense the presence of a predator and they just leave.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
When I was a kid we had a bunch of mice in our house so we got a cat. Within a week all the mice were gone. As the cat only caught one (that we knew of), I assume that the mice can sense the presence of a predator and they just leave.
No, if you got a good mouser (which, apparently, you did), it'll kill 'em all. We had one that would bring remains -usually a little pile of guts, maybe some fur and a tail- and deposit it outside the front door as a present for us.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Wharf rats are as big as house cats; I'd need at minimum a lynx to patrol the parking area.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
My vehicles stay close to the barn, where the cats patrol.