ual nass flywheel interchangability

ribena

TDI
golf mk4 gt tdi 110
i think the dyal mass fly wheel on my tdi non pd is giving up as theres a strange grumbling sound when pulling away between 1100-1750 rpm.
question is are the flywheels intwrchangable between the non pd engines and pd engines?

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Not sure but I feel they would be. Why, do you have a spare from a PD engine? If I were you, I would replace it with a SMF of a stock weight. Dont' go down the lightened flywheel road. Simply too much noise in a lightened SMF flywheel.

TW

ribena

TDI
golf mk4 gt tdi 110
yes i was kindly donated one from a friend in a breakers. are the smf onesok?ive heard mixed reviews

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
yes i was kindly donated one from a friend in a breakers. are the smf onesok?ive heard mixed reviews
I have a 14 lb lightened SMF in my ALH. Its fine except it makes way too much noise at idle in neutral with the clutch out. The stock 21 lb SMF flywheels are much quieter. SMF's will never be as quiet as the DMF's. I have not seen any performance issues out of the SMF's.

TW

lambo11293

Veteran Member
TDI
leon
me and my mate have alh's and both of our dual mass flywheels gave up and we both used smf and performance clutch off of e*ay. only £200 and they are a easy install, cheap as chips imo and they work great. the whole idea of dual mass flywheels is to stop vibration on idle but with the solid flywheel there really is no difference. this is the route i would go if i was you, cheers and good luck.