U.S. Comeback?

Nickmk7

TDI
Mk7.5 GTI SE DSG 2002 Jetta TDI GLS M/T
I hope VW makes a serious effort to electrify, and fast. They need a sub-$27k electric car. Their current lineup is too diluted & too bland. WT frank is an arteon? If they were smart, they'd retire the slow-selling and brand-diluting vehicles and put that money into real EV development:

Kill off the Arteon, Golf, and Golf-R and electrify some of the other platforms more, or work on a platform-level electrification strategy. Edit: oh, and rename the Taos. It sounds too much like a Hyundai.
Kill off the Golf? I hope you're making jokes.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Golf R is here for '22 also. Not a high volume model, but still popular with enthusiasts. If VW had redesigned the eGolf as a ground up EV with range of the ID3, they'd have much better sales, imo.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You can buy a MK8 Golf with a 2.0 TDI and 6 speed manual in Europe. But it still has the all digital dash. Not a fan.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Golf R is here for '22 also. Not a high volume model, but still popular with enthusiasts. If VW had redesigned the eGolf as a ground up EV with range of the ID3, they'd have much better sales, imo.

I fully, 100% agree with you on the eGolf. That's how you 'save' the Golf.

Regarding the Golf R though:

They've sold 5 Golf R's this year. It's clearly a halo model with no customers. For a so-called 'halo' model to mean anything (i.e. drive customers to your door to sell other stuff), they have to get written up, adored by the press, and at least have SOME dedicated fan base or audience to spread the glory and the message. When your so-called halo is an ephemeral ghost and only 5 exist in the entire USA, it's a nothing model. It serves no purpose except to dilute the brand. VW could take a hard look at themselves and ask themselves: What does VW stand for, a little of everything? What are we the pack leader in?

If they were smart, they'd launch an electric, sub $27,000 car and at the same time, introduce a halo model electric vehicle to outshine and outcompete anything Tesla has. The halo could be a truck even. They could totally out-Elon Elon's hype machine.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There are smart people at VW now. Diess, in particular. I think the Taycan was supposed to be the halo model that would put Tesla in its place. It sort of did briefly, until the Plaid S came out. I'm not sure how important halo cars really are for sales. My guess is not very.

As far as the meager Golf R sales, those must be leftover vehicles. I don't think a '21 model was available here. Maybe not a '20 either. I know my little local VW dealership usually sold at least a couple R's per year when current M.Y. Rs were offered.