Type of Grease for Driveshaft Joints

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
I am in the process of changing the clutch in our 2003 with just under 200k miles.
Though I am trying to protect the joints by wrapping them in plastic I feel that I should replace some of the grease that was lost from these connection locations, but I can not find what type of grease is to be used?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You want an extreme pressure or high pressure grease. You should be able to find a 1 pound "can", carton, or similar package at your friendly local auto parts store (aka FLAPS). It will probably not be so black as what you see in your joint, because VW specifies a load of carbon black in their grease, but all the usual players in the grease business don't add it to theirs. I won't comment on the why of either side because I don't know.

The extreme pressure grease is called that and is mainly indicative of the antiwear additives in the grease. Of course you already know how sticky and messy it is, so have a bunch of paper towels ready!

Cheers,

PH

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The VW stuff I have seen, and replacement grease provided with new joints does smell like EP additive packages. It seems to be missing the grey moly disulfide that characterized the OE tubes of SAAB grease. I would prefer to have some of the moly as that stuff works quite well when loading is high, and relative speed is low. I am not losing much sleep over not having it though, nor am I seeking it out specially.

The SAAB joints lasted quite well if their boots could be kept intact...aka replaced at the first sign of a crack that spewed their grease out and let in road abrasives.
cheers,
Douglas