TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
Thought i'd share these pics, rather impressed with how they turned out

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Very dramatic, and good looking

I think that was the last good looking wagon they made.

The new stuff tries too hard and has cruddy lines, unneeded embelishments and the windows are shrunk. Ungh.

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
Very impressive pics! I like the second one especially.

Smokerr, I agree with you about the new models. I do believe though that the shrunken windows look(a higher sill) has a lot to do with additional side impact protection from SUV's.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Pity that they're here instead of posted in the pictures gallery....

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Smokerr said:
Very dramatic, and good looking

I think that was the last good looking wagon they made.

The new stuff tries too hard and has cruddy lines, unneeded embelishments and the windows are shrunk. Ungh.
I wish I had gotten a B5.5 wagon too. But, I still think the best looking wagon is the 71/72 Oldsmobile VistaCruiser with a 455;)

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
KALaBenne said:
It also has side marker blinkers instead of on the mirrors. I'm pretty sure that's because it's a B5 not a B5.5

Great pics!
It's a B5.5.

To KCTDI, the B5.5 Passat was sold in Europe in two trim levels. The LUX packages usually included the chrome mouldings.

So yes! You can get the non chrome blacked out Euro ones to fit yours also! :)

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
volkswagendude said:
It's a B5.5.

To KCTDI, the B5.5 Passat was sold in Europe in two trim levels. The LUX packages usually included the chrome mouldings.

So yes! You can get the non chrome blacked out Euro ones to fit yours also! :)
I constantly forget (or selectively block-out) that everywhere else in the world they can get these cars how they want them.

case in point....

To the OP, is that a manual tranny?

Lug_Nut

TDI
The side mirror mounted repeaters were a delayed introduction in the US. There are a number of early '04 B5.5 with fender mounted repeaters over here, too.

passat130

TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
Thanks for comments guys :)

Its a 2001 Sport model (called Trendline sometimes), they kept this same design up until around 2005 in the UK I think, and then the new shape came in which I too don't like :(

I always look at the changes in different Passat Estates I see around the UK - around 2003 the models all have the colour coded side/front/back bumper strips and the blinkers built into wing mirrors.

It has a very nice cockpit, leather steering wheel, gearstick etc, sports seats, all black trim with some dark aluminium bezel around the cd player door & controls. Sports suspension, 6 cd changer in boot. The lights on the rear were first seen in the sports model then all passats from about 2003 changed to this style. So even though its a 2001, lined up along side a 2005 she looks identical apart from the bezels&blinkers.

Just coming up to 179,000 on the clock :eek:

ps. if you look at the back of the first pic there is chrome around the windows top and bottom.

pps. its a 6 speed manual gear box :)

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Nice understated grey pinstripe cloth fabric and suede floor mat. Are they part of the "sport seat" package?;)

How do you calculate your fuel consumption? I presume you purchase it by the liter, yet the distance traveled is in miles...:confused:

passat130

TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
volkswagendude said:
I think I'm going to cry...:(
Is 6 speed manual a bad thing? :):(

LOL @ Lug nut sport seat comment :D

Buy fuel by the litre, so at the mo its like £1.01 per litre, but on the receipt it also states in UK Gallons how much you've bought.

So a full tank is usually 57 litres (computers reckons about 5 miles left at this stage) the receipt will state this as 12.54 Gallons. I use the "how many miles travelled on last tank/how many gallons to fill up till full method" to work out MPG. The onboard computer on dash is usually really accurate though!

Normally average about 47 mpg per tank.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
passat130 said:
Is 6 speed manual a bad thing? :):(
He's crying about it beacuse we're all jealous we couldn't get a TDI passat with a MANual tranny (except in '96 and '97). Many would also be more jealous if the 4-motion option were available.

passat130

TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
KALaBenne said:
He's crying about it beacuse we're all jealous we couldn't get a TDI passat with a MANual tranny (except in '96 and '97). Many would also be more jealous if the 4-motion option were available.
So its all Tiptronic over there?

My brother has a 4-motion 6 speed manual Passat but its the Saloon, will try and get a pic up :) Doesn't do as well with MPG but he reckons it pulls a lot more

Lug_Nut

TDI
TDI Passats in the US:
1996, 1997 (B4) 1.9 1Z with manual transmission only,
2004, 2005 (B5.5) 2.0 BHW with "tiptronic" auto transmission only.
Petrol powered Passat had a choice over here, but the TDI had a take-it-or-leave-it powertrain combination.
The VW sales database shows that there were three (3) 1.9 liter TDI 4-motion, GLX trim, 1998, B5 saloon sold in the US, but other than a reported sighting as a B5 TDI crossed the auction block none of these have been photographed or otherwise verified.
There are a scant few documented Passat conversions over here such as one V6 TDI 4-motion B5 estate, and the... uhhh... that's it.

passat130

TDI
Passat Estate Sport 130
Thanks for info lugnut :) Sounds like they are more of a rarity over there :(

The dash at night