Two "chirping" noises - help diagnose

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
When I first turn the car on I get two sorts of "chirping noises". Both of them disappear once the car is warm.

1. The first one must have something to do with the blower motor. If the fan is off then there is no noise from the glove box area. If the fan is on there is a whirring/chirping noise mostly when the fan is on #1 or 2. The speed/power adjustment still works. After a little while it goes away when the engine reaches operating temp or shortly before. My question here is: can this cause serious problems if I don't fix it soon? The fan still operates and it is COLD here so I would prefer to delay this one. Any easier fix aside from a blower motor replacement?

2. The second "chirping" sound is a little different and more concerning to me. This one happens even with the fan off only for about 10 seconds after starting her up and only if the car is really cold. The sound fluctuates slightly with the idle RPMs right when the car starts. It goes away quickly. My TB/alternator pully/serpentine belt were all done about 16000KM ago by a very reputable guru in Toronto (Brandon at DCB).

In general, none of these noises happened until the temps got below freezing here. The issues also seem worse the lower the temps are.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Chirping #1: sounds like blower motor bearings are getting rusty. You could take it out and spray some Boeshield to see if it would quiet it down.

Chirping #2: You need to give a better description of where it's coming from. Listen closely with the hood open while looking at the engine. Take a long screwdriver and place the tip on different components (PS pump, alternator, ..) and put the handle to your ear. The sound will be the loudest when you find the culprit.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Thanks for the tips. I will get someone to start the car for me while I listen under the hood. The sounds from under the hood don't last long enough to get out and pinpoint where they're coming from after turning the key.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Turn up your radio....they will both disappear...seriously, small stuff. Serp belt squawking...change the belt if it really bothers u. Keep an eye, but, if it was mine, I would just keep an eye