Turning vehicle in and title (financed via VW Credit)

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Please refresh my memory - it's been a while since I've dealt with auto title issues. I was rooting around my safe looking for the extra keys for the Golf which I'm about to turn in on the 14th of January, when I realized that I don't have the title. I live in PA, and if memory serves, VW Credit nor does the state of PA provide a title copy showing lien holder unless specifically requested. In my case, as the car is still being financed, I don't believe I ever received a title in the mail.
For those of you that have already turned in your vehicles that were financed, did the lack of a paper title present any issues?
FWIW, this is what's stated in the VW claims website:
Your vehicle will need to be driven under its own 2.0L engine power in order for us to complete the Buyback. You will also need to bring the following items to your closing:
Your vehicle;
Your keys;
Your Government-Issued ID;
Your Certificate of Title (if you own the vehicle or have possession of the title). Please verify there is a space to sign over the Title; and
If the owner listed on the Certificate of Title is different than the Registered Owner, this person also needs to be present at the Closing or you will need to obtain a Power of Attorney to sign over the Title. This is not necessary if the additional listed owner is your lender.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
No, if your car is financed, VW will get the title from the lienholder. Not a problem.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation Dan.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
No, if your car is financed, VW will get the title from the lienholder. Not a problem.
It all depends on the state. New York, for example, issues a title to the owner after a vehicle is purchased, but lists the liens on the title.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
It came up in a post last week that in Connecticut (IIRC), both the owner and the lienholder possess a copy of the title, and both copies are required for transfer of ownership. A list of doher states with a similar system didn't come up, but I'm guessing CT isn't the only one?

In California, a new car under lien title is electronic so that the bank doesn't have to store a paper copy; only upon payoff does the DMV generates a paper copy and sends it to the owner.