Turning in with either an ECU or DSG tune

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Has anyone been able to have removed a DSG or ECU tune on their car prior to turn in? This with the plan to (for some fee of course) have the tune put on their new car.

razorrod

TDI
Passat SEL
No I didn't do. They don't drive cars, just started. My car was lowered too and by a lot. I had only two fingers away from fender arc.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
I had a Malone stage II tune on my Golf. Turned it in as-is with the tune installed along with all the other mods left on the car. Wasn't worth the time, money, or effort trying to revert everything back to stock.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Can't see DSG being a problem, they won't notice. If you bring in a car with a full exhaust delete and they're having a slow day they might knit pick. Would give vantage or hillcrest an anonymous call on that, can't see them being too worried about it.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
What I'm wondering though is am I able to have the tune 'removed' from my car and put it on a Tiguan say, once that happens? More interested in the DSG tune than the ECU though as I'm not about to replace the new exhaust with the original stuff.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
What I'm wondering though is am I able to have the tune 'removed' from my car and put it on a Tiguan say, once that happens? More interested in the DSG tune than the ECU though as I'm not about to replace the new exhaust with the original stuff.
Contact your tuner.

razorrod

TDI
Passat SEL
I wonder is different thing, if VW will fix them and put back for sale, and if possible to over write tune on our cars, because most tune were required to remove ECU and modify them, before update software there.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Tunes are sold to a specific car and are not interchangeable. Same thing with a totaled car. You can't just move it to a replacement. You have to buy it again. Sunk cost.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I personally know of someone who turned in a tuned car will a full exhaust delete, and DSG tune. No problem.

-J

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The SAME tune will not work, because as someone else has mentioned, the program is specific to the vehicle.

As to whether whoever you bought the tune from is willing to give you a credit for what you had, if you subsequently bought one for another vehicle ... that is between you, and whoever you bought the tune from.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
You will be perfectly fine. You think the 'just out of college' buyback rep who has never seen a VW before he got this job is going to notice a tune?

Now, if the new verbiage from the judge concerning 'stripping' is taken as written, they might quibble about a missing cat... but I still doubt it. If it looks like it could drive on the road okay, you'll be okay.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I'm not at all worried about turning the car in with the tune and whatever equipment might be deleted.
What I was mostly hoping was to find out whether or not I could take my DSG tune with me and have it put on a Tiguan should I go that route. Won't matter much if I end up with a CX-5 over the Tiggy.
I'll get in touch with the tuner to find out if they offer this for a fee.