Turn signal, running light not working.

bherman13

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 BRM 5spd
I ran the wiring for my newly installed trailer hitch today following TDIDaveNH's guide here, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=332007&page=2.

Once finishing that, I hooked it up to the trailer and tested the lights.

The rear left tail light bulb on my car had burnt out. The left tail light on the trailer doesn't light up. The left turn signals work on both the car and trailer though. I'm gonna pick up a new bulb tomorrow for the rear tail light to see if that's all the car needs, but I do not know why the trailer's left run light isn't working. The car's tail light was working yesterday.

I also cannot figure out the front right signal/running light on the car. Both filaments in the bulb are good, but the bulb still doesn't light up. I swapped bulbs and it still doesn't light up.

I used a powered converter like TDIDaveNH, but I put the power lead on the positive terminal under the little bolt instead of under either of the nuts. You can see the screw head visible on Dave's first picture in post 18 on the opposite side of the terminal post from where he put the lead. Everything else was done exactly the way Dave did it.

Before running the wiring, I had taken my front bumper off to put a small block-off plate in front of my radiator in preparation for below freezing temperatures. I reassembled and made sure I plugged everything back in. After discovering the lights not working, I rechecked that everything was connected correctly and it was. It just isn't working.

What do I do next?

bherman13

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 BRM 5spd
In case anyone was wondering, the turn signal bulb started working again all on its own mid-turn. I cleaned what little corrosion I could off yesterday and it didn't fix it at first. Oh well, it's working now.

And replacing the burnt out bulb in the taillight was all I needed. Though I haven't plugged the trailer back in and re-checked it yet.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
You may have a wire that is a little chaffed and shorts intermittently. I had that happen on my driver's side tail light. Look in the bundle where it enters the trunk, and flexes when the trunk is opened and closed. That is where I found my chaffed wire.

bherman13

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 BRM 5spd
I still haven't plugged a trailer back in to check, but the rear running lights have been working so far since replacing the bulb. If I have problems in the future, I'll be sure to check that, though. Thanks for the info!