turn signal issues - need some help!

laker_42

TDI
2001 Beetle
2001 Beetle 1.9 TDi

Turn signals initially started going out periodically but then would work. They then just stopped working. If I turn them on, it will click but then doesn't do anything. Pushing on the hazard switch, sometimes they will blink a couple of times but most of the time it doesn't do anything. I have verified that the bulbs must be good because I can get them all to blink at least once just not consistently.

I have done a lot of searching around and reading other threads. Here is what I have tried so far:

1. replaced the hazard switch but it didn't make any difference
2. sprayed contact cleaner into the turn signal switch but it didn't make any difference.

Before I tear the steering wheel and airbag off, is there anything else I should check first or help me to narrow the issue down? With the symptoms I described, could it really just be cleaning the contacts really good? From what I read, doing this was more related to if it was clicking all the time but maybe I am wrong. Mine will only click when I turn the turn signal switch on. So not sure if this will help.

Could it be a bad turn signal switch? It does have 238k on it so maybe it has worn out.

Here is a quick video. Not sure why the blinkers wouldn't show up better in the video. You can see the blinker around the 41 second mark. It looks like that when I am hitting the hazard button as well.

https://youtu.be/cMfS8IR1av0
Thanks for the help!
John

Last edited:

jprine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 GLS Golf TDI, 04 R32, 05 Passat Wagon TDI
I would guess its the sw in the stalk because mine was acting up / not working at all sometimes. I dont think just spraying cleaner into it without taking it apart would work mine had allot of dirt and metal filings inside. I just cleaned the crap out of it put some dielectric grease in there and put it back together, has been working great for 2-3years since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkF0bT08Xo I found a picture/video like that with a cutaway that helped me pull the airbag off without any fuss. I assume the beetle wheel has the same clips. The whole job was pretty quick/easy, just make sure you d/c the battery and have the tripple square for the wheel.

laker_42

TDI
2001 Beetle
Thanks, I will pick up a set. Are they all triple star or just the middle bolt holding the wheel on?

laker_42

TDI
2001 Beetle
Thanks for the additional info! Looking at autozone's website, they only have the short stubby set. Will that work or will I need to find some that are longer in size?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Thanks for the additional info! Looking at autozone's website, they only have the short stubby set. Will that work or will I need to find some that are longer in size?
Depends how they are set up. If it's just the bit. They will fit into a 1/2" or 13mm socket. If they are in a socket then just use an extension.

laker_42

TDI
2001 Beetle
So I finally got around to working on this. I put in a new turn signal stalk. Put everything back together aND still have the same flaky behavior. Any ideas of what else I should try or check?

John

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
So I finally got around to working on this. I put in a new turn signal stalk. Put everything back together aND still have the same flaky behavior. Any ideas of what else I should try or check?

John
Did you swap out your hazard switch? The 4-ways can be functional,but the turns not work. Also pull the light bulbs and check the contacts on the end of the bulb. Sometime the contacts wear down because of vibration causing the bulb to lose contact. Or the contact points in the light socket lose contact and you have to bend them up so they contact the contacts on the base of the bulb.

laker_42

TDI
2001 Beetle
I started with the hazard switch since that was the easiest. I guess I will start pulling bulbs and checking them. I may start swapping in a new one and see if it works to see if I can narrow it down. Thanks for the suggestion.

laker_42

TDI
2001 Beetle
I am still stumped on this! I went through and replaced all of the bulbs to make sure there wasn't an issue. After I pulled each one, I tested the turn signals to see if it would function like a light was out. Nothing changed no matter which bulb was out. So I don't think it is a bulb/contact issue. I thought it would behave differently if one was bad and I pulled the bulb out.

Someone else suggested that I change out the ignition switch so I did that today and still no luck. Any other suggestions on what I can try?

The lights all function because they will flash when I hit the lock button so I know they will work. There must be a short somewhere else?

Thanks