turn signal/4 way ticking constantly

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
i have an annoying electrical problem. there is a constant ticking sound that sounds like the 4 ways or turn signals are ticking fast. I checked all the bulbs, and everything is working. I've replaced the 4 way switch, and that didn't solve the problem, either. This is in my 2003.
Any suggestions?

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
I could be wrong, I believe that you will find the source is the turn signal stalk switch.
Some spray a contact cleaner in the stalk in an attempt to clean it out. I would take the switch out first.

I removed mine, sprayed solvent in the switch and it has almost stopped.
If it annoys me further, I will replace the switch.

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
not sure i know how to do that... can you advise? thanks!

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
wait... there's a youtube video on that. i'll watch that...

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
i have an annoying electrical problem. there is a constant ticking sound that sounds like the 4 ways or turn signals are ticking fast. I checked all the bulbs, and everything is working. I've replaced the 4 way switch, and that didn't solve the problem, either. This is in my 2003.
Any suggestions?
Common problem
Contacts wear and the copper particles is suspended in the grease

There is temporary solution as mentioned. But toy should get a new switch

Brett San Diego

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta wagon manual
Very likely don't need a new turn signal switch/stalk. Just remove, disassemble, degrease, clean contacts, regrease (dielectric grease), reassemble. Should be good for another 500,000 miles.

Brett

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I used MAF cleaner on my car: I just sprayed down the front and the back of the stalk while moving the turn signal. If the cleaner you have is not plastic friendly, DON'T USE IT!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
My old Gen.5 Honda had the same issue. Simple fix was to clean the grease out of the switch. If you can't get at it a spray can work.
Always thought it was odd that grease would make it tick, metal particles explains that.

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
It happened to me twice. Both times I sprayed a lot of WD-40 and and that seemed to fix it. Last time I did that was about 10 years ago. Fingers crossed I won't need to do it again for another 10 years.

Alex