Turn of brake light after changing brakes

spooality

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6MT
I just changed my front brake pads and rotors for the first time ever in any car. I'm trying to learn how to do some of the work on my car myself. Everything went well, except one thing: I didn't realize that the pads for the driver side have a wear sensor and the pads for the passenger side don't. I did the passenger side first and just grabbed the first set of pads out of the box (the ones with the wear sensor wire). Since it clearly wasn't needed, I just cut it off. Then I got the the driver's side and... whoops. The brake warning light is now on, of course. Is there a way to turn it off? I still have the plug that I cut off. Could I do something with that to trick the system? Is there anything I should worry about? Is there something different about the pads (other than the wire) that will cause problems being on the wrong side?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Should be able to turn it off in vag-com.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
The pads are interchangeable (except for the sensor wire). As a work around, take the plug from the other side that you cut off, twist the wires together, and wrap a bit of electrical tape. Then plug into the side that should have had the sensor. This will fool the system into thinking the sensor is in place.

spooality

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6MT
The pads are interchangeable (except for the sensor wire). As a work around, take the plug from the other side that you cut off, twist the wires together, and wrap a bit of electrical tape. Then plug into the side that should have had the sensor. This will fool the system into thinking the sensor is in place.
This worked great! Thanks!

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
For the record my sensor wires failed where they connected to the pad last year and I have been running with them jumpered as described above ever since