TURN IT ON! Fixed Interval Service Reminder

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Giving this a little bump...

I turned this on 5000 miles ago in dad's 04.5 1.8t Passat, and it's bugging him now to service. But, unlike the non MFA clusters, his beeps at you while flashing SERVICE NOW in the display. It didn't beep during the 'count down' period, it just displayed the mileage until the service was due before you started the engine.

EDIT: using the buttons on the front of the cluster does reset the interval to the increment you put in earlier with vag-com. BUT, unlike the cluster in my Jetta, where the ignition has to be on to reset the tripodometer, in the new ones it can be reset while the ignition is off. So as soon as you begin pressing the trip reset button, switch on the ignition to aviod resetting the trip.

-Jason

Last edited:

DavidML

TDI
Golf, 2001, Red
Whaa?

Well, I can't speak for the other geeks, but this is right up my alley. I went right out and tried to turn it on, and it works- kinda...

I've entered:

43: 16 (for a 10000 mile service interval)
44: 180 (6 months)
40: 144 (I've driven 9000 miles since my last service)
41: 30 (In about a month)

So when I turn the key it tells me I'll need service in 2000 miles.

I expected 1000. Whatdidido?

Thanks!

-D...

(2001 Golf in case it matters)

DavidML

TDI
Golf, 2001, Red
DavidML said:
Well, I can't speak for the other geeks, but this is right up my alley. I went right out and tried to turn it on, and it works- kinda...

I've entered:

Thanks!

-D...

Bump...anyone?

-D...

DavidML

TDI
Golf, 2001, Red
Thanks for the info...though I'm kinda bummed out. :eek: Will it at least tell me when it's exactly time, or just sit at 2000 until I reset it?

-D...

DavidML

TDI
Golf, 2001, Red
Turns out it doesn't stay at 2000. It read 1900 today, but I'm still confused. Does anyone know how to make it know there are 1000 miles until the next service?

Thanks!

-D...

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I think VWoA made this feature inoperative because engineers there felt it might confuse most Americans. And I'm afraid they're probably correct.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
compu_85 said:
Our Grand Prix has a 'Change Oil Soon' light. It's easy to understand. :confused:
'Soon' is pretty ambiguous...I doubt you'd ever see such waffling from a German car ;)

DavidML

TDI
Golf, 2001, Red
Update:

Mine is still counting down; 1600 at last look, but it's 1000 high...I'm hoping when I reset it it will be correct, but it's somewhat frustrating that I can't make it do exactly what I'd like.

-D...

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
I mispoke myself. It does indeed count down from 2000 miles in 100 miles increments. Once it gets down to 0 it just says Service with no beeps or chimes. I agree David, it's too bad it's not more "flexible" (pun intented..:D)

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
I think I know the answer already... but here's my question:

I've got an ISO-COM, and can recode the cluster in my NB, but can't adapt (or even read) the required channels to set the reminders.

Do I need to get out of the dark ages and upgrade my VAG-COM interface to a CAN-capable one?

I'm guessing the answer is "yes"...

Cheers!

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
If the input was in kilometers, is the warning in KM too? I guess you would have expected it to say 1600 then...but maybe when tripped it automatically starts at 2000. Some logic that says "If not greater than 2001, set to 2000 and start the countdown"...
You can reset it then enter the eq of 9500 and see if there is any difference....

Sounds fun, anyway. I can't wait to get the time to go through this entire thread and try it out.

DavidML said:
Turns out it doesn't stay at 2000. It read 1900 today, but I'm still confused. Does anyone know how to make it know there are 1000 miles until the next service?

Thanks!

-D...

TurboBenz

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS x 2
DavidML said:

I've entered:

Thanks!

-D...

So i basically put in the same numbers and mine doesnt work?
Its a 2001 jetta I put these exact numbers in:
43: 15
44:365
40: 99
41: didnt touch it.

There is no service interval display when I turn on the car BUT i can get the service light to pop up when i hold the trip odo reset button in the car with the ignition off. Just the service light shows up and no other numbers or anything.

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

EDIT: Does the adaptation have to be 5 digits or something? I put in the numbers exactly as listed above, perhaps that is my problem? (I don't have Vag-com so i can't really test it out or anything until I meet up with someone who has vag-com)

Last edited:

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Benz:

I don't think that you did anything wrong. In fact, you may find that 13,000kms from now, the service reminder starts counting down from 2000km. Since the "values since service" are not close to what you entered for parameters, it has a way to go before it will start the countdown.

-Rich

TurboBenz

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI GLS x 2
I thought 99 in channel 40 = 9900 km since last service. Does the service inverval not start countign down by 100km right from the last service and then the service light stays on after you only have 2k left till your next service?

My concern is that when I did attempt to reset the interval (with the instructions shown in the vortex thread) my cluster did not show anything except the single service light (there was no INSP or ---- as shown in the vortex thread again). So I am thinking that perhaps my adaptations to the channels 43,44,40, and 41 did not work as planned...

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
Nate_Grauvogel said:
Nuts!

I may have missed it... has anyone had luck doing this "mod" on Beetle clusters?
Update: It worked in my Beetle tonight... I must have been doing the channel order backwards last time, or some such nonsense. I'll mess with it some more soon. :D

On another note, can you leave the country/region coding set to USA/Canada and have this work? I wasn't having any luck by just changing the service interval digit of the coding. I've been messing with our B5 tonight, and my wife will not like the temperature being in C when she gets up in the morning... :(

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
On our 04.5 Passat 1.8t, I didn't have to recode it to Europe to have it work. The display is still in *F and the reminder works perfectly.

-Jason

ele28

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Silver
Nate_Grauvogel said:
Update: It worked in my Beetle tonight... I must have been doing the channel order backwards last time, or some such nonsense. I'll mess with it some more soon. :D

On another note, can you leave the country/region coding set to USA/Canada and have this work? I wasn't having any luck by just changing the service interval digit of the coding. I've been messing with our B5 tonight, and my wife will not like the temperature being in C when she gets up in the morning... :(
Don’t change the country code in your cluster, only the coding for service interval. The usual coding for us was 07232, change the xxx3x to xxx0x and leave everything else intact, then go to adaptation and in channel 2 enter 0 and save, it will reset service to default values (15 000 km and 365 days) the service cant be adjusted to lower value than 3200 km or 2000 miles.

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
Thanks for the replies - I figured that out for myself! I kind of like the Passat with US units, but German messages... openobd.de is a great source of info!

I left the intervals default and set the mileage left to next service on my Beetle to 200km... Just waiting for the reminder to come up now... I think I'll log in today and see if it's changed.

dantheswim

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, White
I have a 2001 but the build date was 2000, I tried to recode and it won't save the changes. I guess this mod won't work for me...? :(

digifant_gli

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hey Guys;

So, If I understand this procedure correctly, I need to do the following

1. Go into "17 - Instruments"
2. Select Adaptation
3. Change the coding for the cluster (what would the coding be for a Canadian TDI with the fixed interval)
4. What now????

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks!

Regards;

Peter

ele28

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Silver
digifant_gli said:
Hey Guys;

So, If I understand this procedure correctly, I need to do the following

1. Go into "17 - Instruments"
2. Select Adaptation
3. Change the coding for the cluster (what would the coding be for a Canadian TDI with the fixed interval)
4. What now????

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks!

Regards;

Peter
For Canada it will be xx30x or you can use EU xx10x since you use metric system, the EU coding will get rid of open door warning and 24 hr clock, then just go to 17 and in adaptation in channel 2 enter 0 and save, this will set service to default values posted above.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Ok, I have a small dilemma on my hands. I've enabled this service reminder on my 2003 20th AE GTI and now that it's come on, I can't get it to reset via the cluster. I followed the instructions above but all I managed to do was reset my trip meter (which I wasn't aware could be done with the ignition off). I tried a few times but no luck. Is there something I missed? Is there something else that needs to be coded?

Any help, as always, would be appreciated.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
DucMike said:
Ok, I have a small dilemma on my hands. I've enabled this service reminder on my 2003 20th AE GTI and now that it's come on, I can't get it to reset via the cluster.
Did you try this?

1. With key off, press and hold the trip reset button.

2. Turn key to on but do not start.

3. While still holding trip reset, press the clock minute button. This resets the reminder.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yea, I got it figured out. When the instructions say to turn the clock knob clockwise, the really meant clockwise. :rolleyes: D'oh! All is well now. Only ran a couple of tank-fulls through it since the oil change. Not enough to be a issue. Not with my car anyways. Too bad it resets the tripmeter when you do it.