TURN IT ON! Fixed Interval Service Reminder

ele28

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Silver
Lito, everything is correct, cluster in G/J made until 06/2000 were made by VDO USA and the service reminder (fixed) was disabled by default for US/Canada, in those clusters in Europe adaptation is made in channel 10 and 11. The part for that cluster is 1j0 920 900 and in coding where in new clusters is service reminder is number of cylinders coded. As for beetle clusters or older MK4 without can-bus, it’s the same; service is disabled by default in cluster software.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
DD,

I think JoAnn's 2004 will get the fixed service interval since I will not be installing the sensor for flexible service! When it stops raining

Greg, thanks for the input! Hope you are well.

Lito

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
So, ele28, are you saying that since these clusters were made by VDO USA, that the software to make the service intervals happen was never added? Or is it simply a matter of re-coding some software??

I hope it is only the latter. Dorf, I hope we can get this figured out. It is nice to know that at least those with newer cars can turn on this option.....

That said, much of the info I got on this stuff, I got from two UK based forums that were linked on the Ross-Tech site.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Update:
I changed the value in chanel 40 to 159 to see what the warning does when it reaches the mileage limit (I set it at 16000km). The display reverted back to 2000mi and is now counting down from there!
This means it will effectively go over the limit by 1900mi... This means one cannot set the miles driven beyond 2000mi from the mileage limit. I guess I'll have to wait another 1900mi to see the results

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Miles to empty. All of the MFA clusters have a miles to empty feature. But, it is turned off on the VW clusters. It's a simple matter of reading the cluster Hexidecimal code and changing one value to enable this feature.
Hmm.... is this doable with VAG-COM? This would be a nice feature to add to my Immo II MFA.

moondawg

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
This is a great find and I too when it stops raining will do it to my 2003 Jetta with a low pixel cluster. I would like to turn on the " miles to empty " fuction and couldn't find a write-up here or at our friends from Ross-Tech on how to do this, can it be done with Vag-Com or do I need a Cluster Doctor. Does the moding ever stop?
Thanks,
Paul
aka Jump62

ele28

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Silver
I would like to turn on the " miles to empty " fuction and couldn't find a write-up here or at our friends from Ross-Tech on how to do this, can it be done with Vag-Com or do I need a Cluster Doctor. Does the moding ever stop?
Thanks,
Paul
aka Jump62
It can’t be done via VAG_COM, since it won’t let you work directly on the cluster software. In Immo 2 cluster this cant be done as for today, since it has slightly different software (its similar but not the same)

BlueKnight

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver
So does the service reminder that appears when the key turns on actually count down? I've had this setup for a few days now and it always just reads 3000km. How does the time limit notify?

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
So it can be done with an Immo 3 cluster then? And as per Lito is a change of a bit in a hex string, who can/has done it and how is this done?
Thanks,
Paul
aka Jump62

It can’t be done via VAG_COM, since it won’t let you work directly on the cluster software. In Immo 2 cluster this cant be done as for today, since it has slightly different software (its similar but not the same)

[/QUOTE]

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Lito,
I am confused. I thought you needed a cluster with MFA to activate the miles to empty. When were the Immo III clusters introduced and how do you activate it without MFA?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
From one post...

This is a great find and I too when it stops raining will do it to my 2003 Jetta with a low pixel cluster.

Then from another post...
So it can be done with an Immo 3 cluster then? And as per Lito is a change of a bit in a hex string, who can/has done it and how is this done?
Paul has a low-pixel cluster that's what he's asking about when he says Immo3 in his post above.

He means his low-pixel, MFA Immo3 cluster. The answer is yes to his question about being able to activate it.

Lito

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I think I will be trying this as well (probably one night this week or over the weekend), but would like to be sure on one thing: is an MFA cluster required for this? I have the stock cluster (no MFA or trip computer) - can I still turn on this feature?

Rob

TDItech

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI GLS Galactic Blue, 2000 Eurovan with ALH fromthe 02 Jetta
I tried it on my 02 and I didn't get any info for channel 42. All the others I changed.
When you turn the key on it just shows the odomete. And when you push the trip reset button and turn the key on, it shows a blank screen with service in small letters.

Troy

Vorsprung

Ok ive read the instructions and im still kind of unsure about how to set up fixed intervals. This is what I have so far, please tell me if im correct.

I change my oil every 5,000 miles (8045km), or
I change my oil every 3 months (90 days)

I have traveled 600 miles since my last oil change (965km)
It has been 21 days since my last oil change.

So this is what i think i should put in VAGCOM:
Channel 43: 8,000km (4,972miles)
Channel 44: 90 (days)
Channel 40: 1,000km, closest to real value of 965km(600miles)
Channel 41: 21 (days)

Now, am i doing this correct? If so, then when will the reminder come on? and how often does it come up?

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Vorsprung,

What year is your TDI? If 2001 or later, this should work. First you must re-code the soft coding on your cluster. If you go to 17-Instruments then recode-07, the coding should be 07232. Change the 3 to a 0.

Channel 43: Enter the number 8. This value is calculated in "steps" of 1000km so that entering 8 yields a value of 8000km.
Channel 44: Correct
Channel 40: Enter the number 10. This value is calculated in "steps" of 100km so that entering 10 yields a value ot 1000km.
Channel 41:Correct

Hope that this helps you out!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried it on my 02 and I didn't get any info for channel 42. All the others I changed.
When you turn the key on it just shows the odomete. And when you push the trip reset button and turn the key on, it shows a blank screen with service in small letters.

Troy
The service reminder starts appearing when you hit 2000 miles from your next interval (don't know when in days).

When I did mine, I temporarily set it to be in the window where the service indicator would appear upon turning the ignition on, so I could see what it did. Once I saw its behavior, I set it to reflect the actual distance from my last "inspection".

This mod seems to be working all right on both my 2002 Jetta and my uncle's car of same vintage. Of course, we're both pretty soon after our last oil changes, so it'll be a while before it comes on for real.

Rob

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys, it's essential to code each channel in the correct sequence - - otherwise you got nuthin'

Vorsprung

Thanks TDIinRI:

I was able to program the fixed service intervals into my 2003 Jetta Wolfsburg. This is a great mod!

TheCheat

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta tdi 5m (227k), 04 jetta wagon 5m (293k)
ANy word if this'll work in a 2005 New Beetle...would be interesting if it would.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I finally reached the final reminder after 2000mi. It simply says "service" with no numbers in the cluster when you turn the key to on. No beeps, no other warning. You really have to make it a habit of looking at the screen when you turn the ignition on to notice it though...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
pepper10 said:
Update: I finally reached the final reminder after 2000mi. It simply says "service" with no numbers in the cluster when you turn the key to on. No beeps, no other warning. You really have to make it a habit of looking at the screen when you turn the ignition on to notice it though...
I have also gotten to my first regularly scheduled reminder - As Pepper10 says, once you hit final reminder, all you get is "service" blinking at you from the odo screen, and you have to know to look at it (too bad it couldn't beep at you). I have gone a couple hundred miles since getting the final reminder, and it hasn't changed.

Anyhow, I just pulled up the thread to remind myself how to reset it, and thought I'd post an update. I'm debating now on whether to leave it set to 10K for oil changes, or switch it to 6K to remind me to rotate my tires...