TURN IT ON! Fixed Interval Service Reminder

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

I’m gonna call this a golden nugget, a hidden jewel, that any geeky TDier is going to luv.

Courtesy of tdi28 on Vortex:

Finally, after research, I was able to setup service reminder on USA spec cluster. I think is very useful feature, no idea why is disabled on US cars.

Anybody with VAG-COM can do that, by changing coding in your cluster. This only can work on cars with CAN BUS build from 05.00. for example US Golf cluster coding is 07232 so you have to replace 4-th digit (3 with 0 as for cars with fixed service intervals without oil/temp. sender), after this go to:

1. channel 43 in Instrument Cluster (upper limit for distance to next inspection step size is 1000 km,
    by default 15000km = 9400 miles)
  2. channel 44 is upper limit for time to next inspection in days, step size is 1 day by default 365
  3. channel 40 is distance traveled since last inspection, step in 100km (ex. 5200 km= 052)
  4. channel 41 is time elapsed since the last inspection, step 1 day

First, the Channels 43 and 44 must be adapted, because the values of channels 40 and 41 may not be greater than the upper limits of channels 43 and 44.

Adaptation must be done using kilometers (1 mile equates to approx. 1.609 km )

To reset service interval, go to Instrument Cluster Adaptation channel 2 enter 0 and save.

Service Reminder will display on your cluster (in place of the current odometer display, just for a couple seconds) after certain mileage (usually 2000 miles or 3200km or time set in channel 43 and 44, as Service in _____ and it will countdown every 100 miles(km), when you turn your ignition ON.

Vortex link: web page

The NAmericans car are equipped with the fixed service reminder system. I guess two folks here at Fred’s were aware of it but elected to keep it a secret. VAG must have decided this much info could pose a danger to the average American's health and well-being.

Important: <font color="red"> The instructions seem to work only on cars produced after June of 2000 - - this would be model year 2001 and newer. I suspect this will only be valid for Mk4 cars.</font>

I’ve played around with it on my 2000MY Jetta (built 11/27/1999) and I don’t have access to several of the required channels. However, my instrument cluster does show “Service” in the display - - refer to foto above. I have not been able to find any additional info permitting me to activate it on my car and the coding referenced above does not work on my generation of IC ECu.

We performed this VAGCOM mod on pepper’s car, a 2002 Jetta TDi, on Saturday and he says it kicks butt. I am going to ask him to fill in the blanks as far as actual warning provided. He has had some time to tinker with the interval settings.

ENJOY !!

Misc screenshots from my '00 Jetta:

My car does have 36k kms:

Channel 43:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
My 99.5 has the service segment in the display as well.

I thought our clusters could do the flex interval too, you just have to add the sensor, coding, and wires?

I'll give it a try on my car, but I know I don't have CAN bus. Proly won't work.

As I understand it, when the interval gets cloce, when the car is started, the cluster will beep, service will flash, and the distance till the service is required will show in the cluster.

EDIT: You only have 22k miles on your car dorf?!?! Do you ever drive the thing or just stand around all day polishing it

-J

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought our clusters could do the flex interval too, you just have to add the sensor, coding, and wires?

No, this is the FIXED interval, not the Variable (predictive). That's the whole deal - - no sensors, in-pan monitors, none of it is required.

The system is just based on elapsed time (days) and distance traveled (kms).

Now how did you figure out my car has 22,000 miles
(Strack, you're not allowed to answer
)

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Here's what I got so far. You must set the service interval with 2 values (4 actually) as stated by DD: a mileage interval and a time interval. Whichever comes first triggers the reminder where the odometer is everytime you turn the key to the "on" position. It reverts back to the odometer once you start the engine. Turning off the engine does not make the warning re-appear. The reminder is set to appear at 2000mi from the max mileage value you set. Bear in mind that in VAG-COM, you must set it in KM's, i.e. 16 in chanel 43 for 10kmiles interval and the same goes for channel 40 for the mileage of the car since the last oil change but this one is in 100's of km instead of 1000's in channel 43. Therefore, for a setting of 10kmiles interval, the warning will be triggered once the value in channel 40 reaches 128 (12 800km). I've been playing with these figures and found out that the value in channel 40 does go up with the accumulated miles (km's) but the warning in the cluster stays at a value of 2000mi. I have driven 160 mi past the warning point so far. Changing the value in channel 40 to 159 (15,900km) does not change the warning either. It always shown 2000mi. The next test it to increase it to 159 and see wha thappens when we reach 16000km (10,000mi). I'll change it tonight and report back in the morning.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
My car does have 36k kms:
It wasn't too hard... there is this nifty unit converter on the site!

I know your talking about using the fixed interval. What I was talking about our clusters being able to do the flex interval, in addition to the fixed one, after adding the hardware.

-J

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It wasn't too hard... there is this nifty unit converter on the site!

I know your talking about using the fixed interval. What I was talking about our clusters being able to do the flex interval, in addition to the fixed one, after adding the hardware.

I didn't think it was possible by adding the addtional equipment. I thought the MFA had to be added. Only Lito can answer this.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

Most likely not, but here's an easy way to test it. Code your cluster for flexible service. If you get a DTC saying there is no sensor, then you should be able to add the sensor.

Everyone who bought an MFA cluster and coded it for flexible, would get a code if the sensor was not installed.

Also, you can reset the FIXED service interval reminder with the trip and clock knobs. It's in that massive Flexible Service Interval Thread.

Lito

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most likely not, but here's an easy way to test it. Code your cluster for flexible service. If you get a DTC saying there is no sensor, then you should be able to add the sensor.

Lito, did you ever try coding your original cluster before you installed the MFA?? I think your car is the same year as mine - - 2000?

It's the 4th digit in the softcoding that needs to be changed...problem is the 4th digit on my car (2000MY) determines the number of engine cylinders - - not the service reminder routine
Any suggestions?

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
From the Vortex thread:

To initialize service reminder on NA cars you have to use Vag-com or Vag 1552, just one time to setup time and mileage max. limit, after that you can easy reset service reminder without Vag-com.
To reset with Vag com go to ch. 2 in instrument cluster(17) enter 0 and save. Without Vag follow directions below:
1. Ignition OFF (dont start your engine), press reset knob for trip odometer, and turn Ignition ON until on display appear [pic]

2. Turn the digital clock knob clockwise until [pic]

3. Turn Ignition OFF

TDI28 was the poster and the pics were not working on the Vortex thread so I just put [pic] instead. I'm sure we can figure it out..

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess two folks here at Fred’s were aware of it but elected to keep it a secret.
From the massive flexible service interval thread:
Re: Flexible Service Interval Retrofit?
#367014 - Sun Sep 15 2002 10:50 AM (64.126.45.140) Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

All the A4 instrument clusters can display the service interval. Even the standard cluster installed for North America.

The fourth digit of the cluster code enables/disables this feature. '0' = fixed service interval and no sensor. '1' = flexible service interval with sensor. '2' = fixed service interval with sensor. '3' = no service interval (standard US/Canada).

(edited because I ran out human digits (fingers) counting the numerical digits as is pointed out later in this thread)

[ December 14, 2002, 07:43: Message edited by: MOGolf ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From TDICLUB

Re: Flexible Service Interval Retrofit?
#367104 - Mon Dec 02 2002 05:24 PM (130.85.16.42) Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

LOL! Lito, you'll be up on your chatspeak in no time!

Anyway, Lito asked me about this, so I thought I'd post it. If you have your cluster coded for the service interval and a service interval alert comes up on your cluster, you can reset it without using VAG-COM. Here's how:

Put the key in the OFF position. Push and hold the tripmeter button (the one on the right by the speedometer). While holding the button, turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the car. The display will say "service" (stock) or "SERVICE NOW" (MFI) depending on your cluster. Release the tripmeter button. Then turn the clock button (on the left by the tach) to the right one click. This will reset whatever service interval has been displayed, and your display will then go back to normal. Switch off the ignition. Note that if you want to change the values of the interval, such as mileage or time, you must do this with VAG-COM.

Incidentally, in case you didn't read the ross-tech page, channel 45 adaption is for oil quality. If you have an oil sensor, enter 4 for diesel, 2 for gas, and 1 if you would rather use time- or distance-dependent service intervals rather than the flexible service interval.

-Brian

[ December 02, 2002, 14:40: Message edited by: strretch ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's the 4th digit in the softcoding that needs to be changed...problem is the 4th digit on my car (2000MY) determines the number of engine cylinders - - not the service reminder routine Any suggestions?
There's the answer. No go on flexible with the NA cluster.

L

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito, I want to differentiate between "Flexible" and "Fixed". I am only going after the Fixed function. The flex format is an entirely different discussion that y'all covered in those other threads.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
pepper, Lito and I just chatted and he doesn't believe it can be activated on the earlier cars like mine.

I believe the option would have existed on the European cars of the same time period. Why would my IC display have the "SERVICE" display and why would my car have this channel:

Some of the data and ability to display it is there. Perhaps the coding is different enough on the USA cars that we can't turn it on. Maybe one of our UK brothers will know.

Thanks.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Puf, not on a 1998 car, it's too old.

I believe the cutoff is 6/2000 (build date).

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess I need to re-state that we did this on pepper's car on Saturday and the Fixed service interval reminder is <u>100% functional</u> on his 2002 Jetta...read his comments above

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Give it a try and let us know. As long as it has a digital odometer, it should be possible.

edit... ooops
I missed the '98 Beetle part in your sig.. Like DD says, it's more than likely too old. You could still try it though. Never know...

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Man. And I thought the interest in this cool new FREE tool would be greater.

Here's a new update: The display does countdown the miles from 2000 to 0 but in 100mi increment.
I changed the setting to 15,900 mi driven out of a 16,000mi interval. I should get a warning on the way home tonight or tomorrow. I'll post my next update then.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
That's because all the cool people have cars that are too old to do this

-J
Like me?

Should I even try?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
My guess is our cars will do the same as dorf's. But, sence our clusters are different, maby it's worth a shot?

(PS: The Hampster fule return lines are working great! No explosions thus far
)

-Jason

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
I haven't had time to post for a LONG time......Anyways, the trick that we need to figure out for the cars prior to the 2001MY, it instrument cluster soft coding. In order to turn on the interval in my cars, I had to change the soft coding on the cluster. What I am having trouble finding the the soft coding for those early clusters. Also, on the earlier cars, channels 09,10, and 11 are adapted. Give me time I will try and dig up the info. I know I saw it someplace.....

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I mis-spoke on my post and wrote flexibe when I meant to say fixed.

I know this is about fixed service. We've also covered this exact topic in the FLEXIBLE thread.

This is the SECOND posting of this feature.

Lito

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Give me time I will try and dig up the info. I know I saw it someplace.....

Tommy, I'm all ears! Please let us know if you figure it out or can find documentation on the Fixed reminder for the early cars.

Tanks.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, on the earlier cars, channels 09,10, and 11 are adapted. Give me time I will try and dig up the info. I know I saw it someplace.....
Channel 09 is the cluster mileage, which cannot be adapted or changed once it's coded and above 100km.

Channel's 10 & 11 have to do with the Fixed Service Interval but can only be adapted on Immo 2 clusters with MFA. There are a bunch of forum members who bought Immo 2 plain-face high pixel clusters which have different Channels which can and cannot be adapted vs the Immo 3 clusters.

For example: Jeff Tesch and I were able to adapt these channels 10,11 &12 in his 2001 Golf with a Immo 2 high pixel cluster but not in my Jetta with an Immo 3 cluster. Jeff and I spent alot of time trying to code, re-code his cluster to turn off the WORKSHOP error code he was getting because he didn't have the sensor installed.

Even coding his cluster to FIXED service interval would not make the code go away. Only installing the sensor did the trick.

Fuel mileage/MFA can also be adjusted up or down accordingly on the Immo 2 MFA clusters(low or high). MOGOLF was able to do this on his Imo2 high pixel cluster but NONE of the high pixel Immo 3 clusters have access to these channels in Vag-Com. None of us with high pixel clusters can adjust or fine tune the accuracy of the MFA display.

Cluster Display:The high pixel cluster in an MKIV 2000-2001 car will only show a car door open at the top display of the high pixel cluster regardless of what door is open. The same cluster in a 2002+ will show the entire car and each door that is open be it front, rear or left/right.

Miles to empty. All of the MFA clusters have a miles to empty feature. But, it is turned off on the VW clusters. It's a simple matter of reading the cluster Hexidecimal code and changing one value to enable this feature.

Atomic Clock feature. All the MFA clusters have the symbol for the atomic clock. But only Audi has this feature in their vehicles. We've spent alot of time trying to get this feature enabled in the VW's but we can't figure it out.

Bottom line: the IC's of these clusters are designed to go into many different cars across the VW, Audi, SEAT, SKODA line. The fact that I have the atomic clock symbol in the display doesn't mean the cluster software supports it.

The different Immobilizer models: 2 & 3 and vehicle Can-Bus versions all have a factor in what your cluster can do, what you see in Vag-com and what you can do to configure and adapt your car.

Ele28 or TDI28 has a 2001 Golf. Until someone with a 2000 TDI with a stock NA cluster figures out how to code his or her instrument cluster for fixed service interval I will continue to believe that it cannot be done on a MY2000.

Here is UWE's information on Fixed Service Interval. Notice that his site says none of the NA clusters have fixed service interval, which we know is not correct.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw_sri.html

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bottom line: the IC's of these clusters are designed to go into many different cars across the VW, Audi, SEAT, SKODA line. The fact that I have the atomic clock symbol in the display doesn't mean the cluster software supports it.

Lito, thanks for taking the time to write that up, I appreciate it.

I suspect you're right - - we will not be able to activate this on pre-2001 cars. OTOH, there are tons of folks with 2001 and newer cars that can take full advantage of this ultra-geeky feature

Have a fantastic weekend!