Turbocharger temperature during regeneration

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I am trying to find information on what the temperature is in the turbocharger during regeneration cycles while the car idles.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
My EGT will go between 1100 and 1200 on the freeway. I believe the idle temp of an "in progress" active regen is in the 500*+ range. Since getting a Polar unit Im acutely aware of my regens. I stay on the freeway to finish IF it has started. It will only last an offramp or 2. I never shut down above 400* EGT. The only time my non active regeneration idle temps. exceed 400* is with a/c on.

This thread is gathering alot of real time regeneration info using a Polar FIS. You may be interested.

Last edited:

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you. I am never aware of regens while driving. Only when I am about to park and turn off the motor; I hear the slightly higher idle @ 1000 rpm, and the fan blowing, and when I stand next to the car it feels like I am standing next to a furnace and smell that odd odor of red hot metal (like a BBQ grill that is left on at high for hours). Does it help to shoot water from a garden hose to the radiator while it is regenerating at idle? Hate it when it regens when I get to work; something tells me I need to keep idling til the cycle is done in order to not fry the turbo even though there is a water pump running the water thru the radiator.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Some owners say just drive and don't worry about it. I don't agree. Any shut down temp over 400 is going to coke up your oil eventually damage your turbo at minimum. If the regen is not finished the regen just waits for the required parameters to be met again. (idle condition will cancel a regen i believe) Watch this forum in the cold months and its obvious why those cold areas crack open the DPFs. It makes sense with a 1200* DPF all of a sudden sitting in below freezing ambient temps... To hose down the radiator would be very counter to what the car is trying to do. And probably damaging. IMO if the regen cycle is understood, its planned operation is like riding a bike. I love owning diesel but this is my 1st DPF and IMO working around it is part other deal, no biggie. With the polar fis I know when it is coming up and can easily finish.

FWIW I put a non delete tune on my JSW and never looked back. The car runs so clean normal driving "actual soot" build up is usually burnt off by just low temp passive regens. The "calculated soot" of 24 m/grs has always been the trigger for an active regen. (VWs less than accurate calculation of soot load build up), My active regens only last a mile or 2 at worse. I've had one finish the length of the on ramp.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
(idle condition will cancel a regen i My active regens only last a mile or 2 at worse. I've had one finish the length of the on ramp.
I always wondered if idling would cancel the regen too and I got a chance to find out a few weeks ago. I was on my way to an appointment at a client's house and the regen started just as I pulled onto his street so I parked in his drive way, put the steering wheel club on and locked the doors while running (OBDeleven mod). It completed the regen and it did not seem to take any longer than a "in city" driving regen. I left the AC and headlights on as the extra loading and heat seems to speed up my regens.
I do find it hard to believe your regens only take 1-2 minutes though, how can that be? How are you figuring? Mine are always 13 to 20 min depending on conditions, freeway driving 13 min, city driving can take anywhere from 14-20 min depending on speed, traffic lights and heat.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I do find it hard to believe your regens only take 1-2 minutes though, how can that be? How are you figuring? Mine are always 13 to 20 min depending on conditions, freeway driving 13 min, city driving can take anywhere from 14-20 min depending on speed, traffic lights and heat.
Unfortunately I only had 1 regen watched after the polar was installed and before the tune. It had much higher soot load. I don't remember regen time.

I attribute the quick regen to a new DPF but i think the tune is the main reason. With little to no actual soot i would imagine it is the biggest factor

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW I put a non delete tune on my JSW and never looked back. The car runs so clean normal driving "actual soot" build up is usually burnt off by just low temp passive regens. The "calculated soot" of 24 m/grs has always been the trigger for an active regen. (VWs less than accurate calculation of soot load build up), My active regens only last a mile or 2 at worse. I've had one finish the length of the on ramp.
Regens can be adjusted?
During a regen, with the engine just turned off, I hear the fan blowing. There is a water pump that supposedly keeps the water circulating, and it cools off the heat from the recently turned off regen. Is this not good enough to keep the exhaust components from getting cooked?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....

The 2nd link worked for keyfob activation, but not door handle activation as the thread discusses regarding R vs. GTI. I'm guessing yours works similarly?

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I always wondered if idling would cancel the regen too and I got a chance to find out a few weeks ago. I was on my way to an appointment at a client's house and the regen started just as I pulled onto his street so I parked in his drive way, put the steering wheel club on and locked the doors while running (OBDeleven mod). It completed the regen and it did not seem to take any longer than a "in city" driving regen. I left the AC and headlights on as the extra loading and heat seems to speed up my regens.
That's why I guess my idle canceled the regen. It needed a load trigger. Living in Ca. Id have second thoughts leaving a running car, locked or not! I do have a turbo timer I've never installed. You can leave the car running with out the key. The e-brake must be engaged or it will shut off. If there was a way to have coolant temp trigger Rather than a timer Id use it.

Ill watch more closely the time each regen takes. I've got probably 10 or 12 actives since watching the polar. The noted regen time of one minute + - was doing 60 - 65 mph for apx. 1 minute or about 3 off ramps (60mph + - ÷ 1min. = 1 mile + -). I know thats not very scientific. Ill watch little closer next time.

"How can that be"? Im guessing that, like the parameters that activate a regen. the actual given soot load possibly regulates off timing? That's why your range of 13 to 20 minutes? Do you have a way to read soot load?

Regens can be adjusted?
During a regen, with the engine just turned off, I hear the fan blowing. There is a water pump that supposedly keeps the water circulating, and it cools off the heat from the recently turned off regen. Is this not good enough to keep the exhaust components from getting cooked?
It seems my regens and a few others have confirmed that the trigger point is a calculated soot point of "24 m/grs". That's why I love the polar fis readout.
They say shutting off mid regen won't hurt anything. But bad/cracked DPFs, causing soot in the tail pipe (DBS/dirty butt syndrome) is a common failure. The dieselgate fix is even worse, loading gobs more soot. To me 1200* heat + quick cooling = cracking. The extreme heat is enough to justify NOT shutting down mid regen IMO.
Time for a tune! ;-)

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Do you have a way to read soot load?
Yes I use VAG-DPF and Torque Pro both. It always regens when my calculated soot reaches about 23g. My measured soot is always much lower but the stock programming uses calculated soot unfortunately.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
The 2nd link worked for keyfob activation, but not door handle activation as the thread discusses regarding R vs. GTI. I'm guessing yours works similarly?
Sorry I didn't realize the first link was discussing using the door handle, I don't even know if that's possible on the VW. I have to use the key fob to lock & unlock while running but it's not a problem since I usually keep it in my shirt pocket. I don't keep my various car keys/fobs on my key chain, they are too bulky especially considering I have 4 vehicles. I just grab whichever one I need and drop it into my shirt pocket when I leave the house.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Living in Ca. Id have second thoughts leaving a running car, locked or not!
I hear you, it's pretty bad here too. I will only leave it run when I am close by and it's locked and a steering wheel club on the wheel in plain view. I do the same with my diesel Superduty when travelling and stopping for fuel or a quick bathroom break. Depending on the area I may slip my .38 into my back pocket as well when I get out. As an additional precaution the key for the steering wheel club I use on the Superduty is not on the key ring with the ignition key, it is on a different key ring in my pocket, with my house keys. This way if I ever get jacked I can toss them my keys and be gone before they find out the key to the club isn't there.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I use VAG-DPF and Torque Pro both. It always regens when my calculated soot reaches about 23g. My measured soot is always much lower but the stock programming uses calculated soot unfortunately.
Generally, what is your actual soot level @, before an active with the stock program? My tune still regens @ calculated 24g. It seems tuners could change the regen command over to actual soot level? Say at 15g to be safe. I bet it would double to triple the time between the need to burn anything off. I need to call Kerma with a question about that.

. Depending on the area I may slip my .38 into my back pocket as well when I get out. As an additional precaution the key for the steering wheel club I use on the Super duty is not on the key ring with the ignition key,
I hear you, what state do you live in? Its ALL BUT impossible to get a CCW here in comifornia. Are you on the power stroke website? I just picked up a 6.0 and getting it road worthy

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I don't know offhand what my actual is but I'll make it a point to look next time, if I recall it is less than half of calculated.

I live in Tucson and most of our stolen trucks end up in Mexico since it's less than 1 hour away.
I'm on TDS, FTE and Powerstroke Nation with FTE being by far the most active. Been driving diesels all my life, have the TDI and a 02 7.3 presently.