Turbocharger bearing sizes for 2000 Beetle

amykate

TDI
2000 VW Beetle TDI
Hi, all! I'm not sure if this is a basic question, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

I've got a 2000 Beetle 1.9L TDI. This girl's had a lot of work done and I thought I had her lined out, but the mechanic who did some other repairs said that the source of my problem was the turbo. I'd had it replaced several years ago, but the mechanic told me that the replacement (which was an aftermarket) wasn't correct. He said that I'd need a new one, but that she's picky. I was told that the turbos for this model have two different bearing sizes and the one that was in it was the "smaller" size and I would need the "larger bearing size" for it to be right.

I've consulted my service manual and been all over Google, but I can't find any options that provide the specifications of the bearings. Does anyone here happen to know how I could find that info or what I should be looking for? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm dying to get this girl back on the road!

03Wagn

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
What type of turbo did you replace the original with?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
There's one and only one turbocharger available for this car*. So you're looking for a standard replacement. Get it from idparts, or some of the other vendors you can find on this site. A cheap chinesium replacement will buy you more of the headaches you already have.

Since turbochargers come as an assembled unit, there is no worry about bearing sizes. You may need to change mechanics, as the explanation does not have place in reality. Or rather, your mechanic is either a fool or thinks that you are, to give you such a story.

Cheers,

PH

* - Actually, I believe there may be a replacement from another well known manufacturer, Borg-Warner. Back in 2000, there was only the Garrett unit. I believe the Garretts are still the best, but everyone will agree that a chinesium replacement is very bad news. Don't throw good money after bad. - PH

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yes, and in addition to what the previous couple posters said, the OEM turbo manufacturer doesn't sell individual replacement parts for the turbo, only complete units. There really is no shaft "bearing" as it runs in its housing suspended on pressurized film of oil.
Andy has some great pics of the turbo at various stages of disassembly in his gallery.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
There is a cylinder shaped brass bearing around the shaft.
I've bought them and made my own.

It doesn't just run in it's housing on a film of oil.

I've never seen one with a smaller OD.
and the shaft diameter doesn't change.
Weird that your mechanic would say it is smaller somehow.
Or that a smaller bearing would matter since the shaft size would be the same.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you can't do the $800, you can take a chance on a used one, it's a gamble.
Any chance you still have the original? It may require minor repair (actuator, vanes) or it may be shot. There is a place over in the Netherlands that may be able to sell you a decent rebuild, don't know who in the US would have decent rebuilt.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4740616&postcount=1

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
And there is no bearing, per se. The turbos run on a convolute 'pseudo-bearing' which is only a housing--it just supports a hydrodynamic 'wedge' of pressurized oil (under flow). No balls, no needles, no physical bearing parts present. Your mechanic sounds like they don't know turbos, or they're trying to dumb it down. Either way, they're not giving you high quality information.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And there is no bearing, per se. The turbos run on a convolute 'pseudo-bearing' which is only a housing--it just supports a hydrodynamic 'wedge' of pressurized oil (under flow). No balls, no needles, no physical bearing parts present. Your mechanic sounds like they don't know turbos, or they're trying to dumb it down. Either way, they're not giving you high quality information.
Can't tell you how many times I've told customers this. Most shops think they have bearings.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
So you don't think there is a brass cylinder-shaped bearing/bushing
around the shaft?
Or are you calling it a housing?

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
There are 2 brass journal bearings as well as a thrust plate also made of brass. Google "turbo journal bearings". All the basic OEM turbo's are built this way. More expensive turbos have ceramic or ball bearings. The CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) carries the journal and thrust bearings. The turbine shaft runs on a film of oil through the journal bearings.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
Read Nick's again.
Here it is:

Brass is never mentioned so I still don't know if you don't think there is a brass cylinder-shaped bearing/bushing
around the shaft?
Or are you calling it a housing?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That page shows and describes (I think) a traditional wastegate turbo. Not variable vane, which have a different design and components, I believe.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been putting VNT-15s in Rabbits for a few years.
I get my turbos balanced by gpop shop.
Sometimes they sell me a compressor wheel too.
Then they send the spinning parts back and I put them back together.
They sell the rebuild kits with the bearings too but
I didn't like the "cylinder" bearings because there wasn't much surface area in contact with the shaft.
So I started making my own.

The one on the left is a factory bearing.
Notice how the area the shaft rides on (inside)
is larger than the area of the one on the right?
They removed a bunch of contact area from the new bearing.

I didn't see any reason to remove metal so I make a bearing that doesn't step down and away from the shaft at all.
Runs the same diameter the whole way.
The shaft steps down and away from the bearing.
It has two 5/16" wide sections that touch the bearing,
or technically the film of oil that runs over the bearing.

The new bearings also felt loose in the housing.
Slide the shaft in and much of the the side-to-side movement was the bearing moving inside the housing.
So I added a couple thous to the outside of the bearing.

The center bearing in the picture is one I practiced on.
Got the outside dimension wrong so I used it to practice hole drilling and stuff.
Notice the holes aren't lined up right?