Turbo Whine from Radio?

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Funny one today.

On my way into work, I noticed a high-pitched whine along wit my throttle - sounded like the turbo spooling up, but pitched much higher than normal.

I caught it when my stereo was on, but before my bluetooth kicked in, and peculiarly it seemed to be coming from the speakers. I tested several times by turning the stereo on and off, and the noise was absolutely not present with the stereo off - it for sure came from the stereo. Never noticed it before today - can be almost certain the noise didn't exist until today.

What on earth is that? Did VW build in Active Sound without me knowing about it?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
What did you do the night before?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
90% of the time it means the radio is not properly grounded or has some internal component that is not working (filter)
Back in the day...... it used to mean (and still can) that the diode in your alternator is bad or going bad. Or that the alternator is not properly grounded as well.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Not quite the same, but the radio just goes to background noise when the rear defrost is on, in my Passat.

It did it with the previous radio, and now with an RCD330+

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's not uncommon for installers to tap the wrong wire for power with aftermarket head units. I wonder if that's causing interference.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
It's not uncommon for installers to tap the wrong wire for power with aftermarket head units. I wonder if that's causing interference.
I have an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter from Crutchfield plugged into my CD player port. Perhaps I didn't secure the ground wire properly, or it wiggled loose over the last few months.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
No no no no. You're all wrong. It's the new stereoturbocompressor VW is secretly working on. They figured out a way to compress the air with your speakers. ;)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You are also wrong... as if you listen carefully, you'll notice that it's directly proportional to engine rpm, thus it's a SUPERCHARGER, not a turbo.
Oh snap...... @nicklockard you just got pwn3d
Had a good sensible chuckle from this... thanks turboABA....