turbo upgrades

Blessed8458

TDI
2006 golf 1.9L
I'm new to the tdi scene with a new used purchase of my 06 vw golf. I was hooked on it from the moment I drove it. I'm up grading the turbo to a Garrett VT1749v and I'm also putting a bar4 map on it. I bought a tuner chip from Thornton chips and tune. MY question is do I need to do anything else to have this run properly, I know that a program tune would get me max performance from it but im short on funds at the moment and dont know anyone who has a programmer. PLEASE HELP MY TDI FRIENDS.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Never heard of Thornton, so I just checked their website. There's a LOT more to a proper tune than just plugging a "chip" into the OBD port. I'd personally never even consider something like that. The best TDI tuners, like RocketChip, do a baseline on your car before tuning the ECU. How is the car running now? Why are you replacing the turbo? Why do you think you need a 4BAR MAP Sensor? PD cars like yours have cam wear problems, have you checked it?

Blessed8458

TDI
2006 golf 1.9L
I watched a upgrade of a similar turbo and he said that your supposed to upgrade those maps along with it to remap your ECU for fuel and air. Again I'm not sure on any of this that's why I'm here to get the help to make sure I'm doing this right. I haven't put anything on yet. It runs great but I feel like there is some lag in the starting throttle on take off. I want more performance is what I'm getting at.

Blessed8458

TDI
2006 golf 1.9L
Never heard of Thornton, so I just checked their website. There's a LOT more to a proper tune than just plugging a "chip" into the OBD port. I'd personally never even consider something like that. The best TDI tuners, like RocketChip, do a baseline on your car before tuning the ECU. How is the car running now? Why are you replacing the turbo? Why do you think you need a 4BAR MAP Sensor? PD cars like yours have cam wear problems, have you checked it?
Ive also looked into getting a tunezilla programmer to get a proper tune to go with the new turbo. Do I need to do anything to the car when putting a upgrade turbo on?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
How many miles on the car? Is there anything actually wrong with the turbo? Leaks? Shaft play? You would be surprised what an improvement in performance a Stage 1.5 or Stage 2 tune will make with the stock turbo. Our old '01 ALH Golf had a RocketChip Stage 1 tune and it could chirp the wheels shifting from 1st to 2nd with the 01M automatic transmission, but still get 40+ MPG on the highway. When you go with a bigger turbo, you could actually have more "lag"...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I'm moving this thread to the power enhancement Forum so others with more experience than me will, hopefully, chime in.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Thorton is another of those "chip tune" scams, it's simply a box with leds, does nothing to the ecu.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
a 4bar map for a 1749 turbo is kinda useless., the 1749 isn't good for much past 24psi boost with .215 nozzles. and like the above said, a tuning box is no good. need a real tune, as in complete remap of the ecu software

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
stock 2.5bar is safe/good for ~20psi (say 2350mbar absolute), 3bar good for ~27psi (2850mbar). .. depends on how good your tune/hardware is. if it's sloppy and has lots of overboost and spikes you want a larger buffer zone between max map sensor reading 2500mbar, 3000mbar, 4000mbar... so the ecu can see how much and adjust accordingly. although at that point it's usually got the vanes wide open anyways.. if your tune/hardware is good, you can get away with less of a buffer zone.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
One more of the 'maintain it first' gang. Shox, LCA bushings( TT in the rear ), and rear beam axle bushings, as well as tie rods and ball joints. All this assuming you have solid documentation of a proper timing belt job( rollers, WP, good belt and torsion set ). *THEN start turning it up. Well; maybe fix the blend doors so the AC works first...
cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:

Blessed8458

TDI
2006 golf 1.9L
ive really got alot to learn!! I truly dont know 80% of what you guys talk about and im very impressd to see the knowledge you gentlemen have. i am a fast learner but i have to get my hands in it to be able to retain that knowledge. If anyone knows of someone in Middle Tennessee in the USA please send me some info. I really appreciate all of your input and time. God bless you all