Turbo upgrade on a Touareg 3.0 TDI?

Cali2010TDI

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Has anyone done or heard of a turbo upgrade on a Touareg TDI with the 3.0 motor? Specifically, has anyone in the USA upgraded to the Euro GTB2260VK unit or anyone worldwide tried the Darskside Developments GTB2566VK Hybrid unit? Very interested in both of these options but trying to see if anyone has been successful tuning to them. Thanks

David

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I've followed Touaregs for over 5 years on the two main forums and cannot recall any attempt at a turbo upgrade.

A good remap will get you another 40 bhp for a helluva lot less money and maintain reliability too.

Cali2010TDI

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Already have had the Unitronic tune for over a year... and now that my warranty is up I can look at other options. Was kind of disappointed to hear we only got the GTB2056VK turbo in the USA due to emissions while Europe got the GTB2260VK. The motor can offer more but the smaller turbo is a limiter. My issue is finding a tune that will work on a USA vehicle it seems. I might end up being the guinea pig for this... we shall see. :)

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Good luck with that since there is no demand for aftermarket to do any performance upgrades for the Touareg. I don't think you are gonna find much imo.

Cali2010TDI

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Been trying to reach Malone for a few weeks now... :( Still no reply.

Yeti, while it may be true that Touareg's are not modified too much the good news is that the 3.0 TDI motor is in many other vehicles. I have seen some great results posted by the Audi crowd so I am hoping to replicate that with my Touareg. :) Malone seems to be the recommended tuning option, just need to get a hold of them. LOL

David

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg

Yeti, while it may be true that Touareg's are not modified too much the good news is that the 3.0 TDI motor is in many other vehicles. I have seen some great results posted by the Audi crowd so I am hoping to replicate that with my Touareg. :) Malone seems to be the recommended tuning option, just need to get a hold of them. LOL

David
Same output, or just same motor? Just asking, I didn't look to see everything it might be in. I know in other settings, the same effective motor has been put in multiple applications, tuned differently in each, so getting more out of the lesser tuned ones is pretty easy. If you are starting with the highest output of the bunch, all the easy power has already been taken into consideration. That said a different map may get still more, but you are closer to the top end of what is possible with the hardware.

Malone lists 2 V6 TDIs, one starting at 221hp and one at 240hp as stock. I guess the one with more options is the older one, but that shows that much of the old stage 1 is already in the newer stock motor.

Cali2010TDI

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
From what I know in my research, the first gen Touareg 3.0 TDI (225HP) used the smaller GTB2056VK turbo which is what I have... this means I am starting from the low end of the bunch. The Euro 3.0 TDI and newer US TDI now have the larger GTB2260VK turbo (240HP). Darkside Development has a hybrid based off the GBT2260VK called the GBT2566VK that is bolt on and what some of the Audi (S5) guys have been running successfully. It is just a matter of a tune since the Euro ECU is different than ours which is why I cannot just use their programming (besides it is Audi and I am a Volkswagen). ;)

Just waiting to hear back from Malone at this point. Pretty much everyone is recommending him for my custom tune. :)

David

gr8ness97

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG

David
I talked to Mark via email back in early August when I was in the Vancouver area. Supposedly, there may be a new touareg tune coming out this winter. He mentioned that he was pretty busy though. I was hoping to get my Touareg tuned when I was in the area, but to no avail.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
There is a thread about the different turbo sizes from the early 09-12 TDI Touaregs and the 13 up on Club Touareg. The later ones are using in fact a larger turbo, but a couple of people in the thread that have driven both or own both feel the smaller turbo version is more driveable and nicer power band comes on sooner at a lower RPM. One guy even said his 09 pulled a lot harder then his 13. So bigger is not necessarily better. The other guy who owns both a 12 and a 13 says he likes the way the smaller turbo 12 drives over the 13 larger one.

yesitsaDIESEL

TDI
2010 Touareg 3.0 TDI TDI-Factory full Sport package.. 1993 Corrado VR6 SLC
Back from the dead

Had anyone gotten anywhere with this? I have a Stg 2 Malone tune on my 2010 3.0 TDI Touareg Sport USA with DPF/CAT Delete and would like to get more out of it. I know Malone can provide a better tune because they are AWESOME but really would like to see if someone had upgraded to one of the larger turbos listed above and have gotten good positive results!

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I have the JR Auto Tuning stage 2 on my Q5 TDI. Does the DPF delete add much more power? How's the sound increase of the exhaust?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
delete wont add much i dont think but will help prolong turbo life and engine life...reducing restrictions.

Mine has downpipe which is for sound so it is more aggressive then most...but with factory muffler i think it sounds awesome

https://youtu.be/zUrTTAbzUw0

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Q5 with Jr/Buzzken Tune and Delete.

Sounds pretty much stock in everyday driving but when WOT it lets you know that its breathing better.
Loving the performance.
Will perhaps have to upgrade the Turbo soon too.
Kevin :D

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Q5 with Jr/Buzzken Tune and Delete.

Sounds pretty much stock in everyday driving but when WOT it lets you know that its breathing better.
Loving the performance.
Will perhaps have to upgrade the Turbo soon too.
Kevin :D
trust me you want the bigger turbo lol