Turbo to intercooler pipe upgrade?

sullyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I have a stock turbo first off. I was thinking of fabricating a
new turbo to intercooler pipe for my new beetle. Any reason this would not be a good idea?

Just wondering because of the taper in the stock pipe was because of the stock turbos size, to create back preasure or somthing.

Any thoughts welcome, gonna fab it cause I have Not seen any after market pipes for the new beetle.

DBDieseler

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
IDParts has one:

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1227

They also carry a larger upper pipe as well. I'm sure making one yourself would be cheaper, but then again this one looks nice. Your choice. :p

I think the "pancaking" was done for clearance, not so much for pressure. I've seen people mention clearance issues when fabbing turbo-to-IC pipes, but everybody seems to solve them somehow.

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I think the IDparts lower pipe will work on the NB. Whenever I get around to fitting my Eurojet SMIC I'm going to give it a whirl. I know for a fact though that the upper pipe will not fit as the NB is completely different. I think the lower pipe is the main point of restriction anyways so opening that up will definitely help.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I had the lower IC pipe installed first, and the upper IC pipe a few months later.

I noticed a small bump with the lower IC pipe, but an even bigger bump when the upper one was installed.

sullyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the input guys, I like the idparts one but I am game for doing the same thing for less.

I will share my idea, something saw and asked about while trifeling through my local oriely auto parts back room.

They actually carry custom or generic radiator hose, at least mine does. It is heavier duty than a normal radiator hose and doesn't collapse easy. I think it would make the bend from the turbo fine. Then make a union of sorts to hookup to the intercooler.

If that doesn't work, trifle some more and find a radiator hose of the right size for the outlet, that has the bend in the right place, and see what I can do with that.

Just an idea...... Anybody know the stock turbo outlet size?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Well please keep us posted with what you do and how it works out. I'm game for new thoughts and ideas.

arcticcat93

Veteran Member
TDI
06 V10 Touareg
sullyTDI said:
They actually carry custom or generic radiator hose, at least mine does. It is heavier duty than a normal radiator hose and doesn't collapse easy. I think it would make the bend from the turbo fine. Then make a union of sorts to hookup to the intercooler.
radiator hose is not the best for any distance where there will be pressure. even if it does not kink when you put it in, or it does not collapse easily, when boost is applied the hose will try to swell, and because there are fibers that keep it from swelling it will still deform. what ends up happening is that the hose pushes out at two points, which make it compress at two other points 90degres from each other. pretty much the cross section view of the hose turns into an oval instead of a circle.

ovals are not the greatest thing for flow especially if there are any bends at either end.

this is something that i have observed and does actually happen, but the allowable deformation factor for your location, bends, hoses size, hose toughness, boost, etc, etc.. may be acceptable. so im not saying it cant be done, but just something to think about.

an old school trick to reduce this is to just barely snugly place hose clamps throughout the length of the hose anywhere from 2" to 4" apart. this keeps the two "point" from being able to push out therefore preventing the opposing point from pulling in.

i know i just threw a lot out there and if there are any questions just ask, this is kinda tricky stuff to completely explain by typing words.

sullyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Arcticcat93

thanks a ton, just the info I needed, that kinda thing is what I didn't concider. Have had thought about heat forming thick walled PVC which has a good psi rating.

Will take photos etc when I decide which to try...

arcticcat93

Veteran Member
TDI
06 V10 Touareg
just make sure if you have hose to any hard line that is some kind of ridge to keep the hose on. if you just used something like exhaust tubing you would have to clamp it pretty good to keep the hose from pushing off.