turbo technical database

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
When it was getting Dyno'd the tuner said that the HP was maxed out and that it was going to pop from the pressure. Are you sure?
On what would he be basing that on other than what we reads from the dyno plot (which tells you pretty much squat about how the turbos are working)? If the HP (high pressure) stage is restrictive, it's most likely so on the hot side, not the cold, and you can get around it partially by bypassing part of the exhaust gas flow around it with a wastegate and dumping it into the turbine inlet of the larger LP (low-pressure) stage. That is, unless your LP turbo is already maxed, which is what I believe is more likely the case; then, the aforementioned bypassing won't help you much at all.

But of course, you won't know that just from a dyno plot, but you'd need at the absolute minimum to measure exhaust manifold pressure and EGT while performing the runs, and even better would be to simultaneously measure interstage pressure and temperature and turbo shaft RPMs.

I repeat, a dyno plot alone will not tell you what you need to know. I did my MSME in two-stage turbocharging.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Is there a cooler between the stages or only pre plenum? What kind of IATs are you seeing?

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
On what would he be basing that on other than what we reads from the dyno plot (which tells you pretty much squat about how the turbos are working)? If the HP (high pressure) stage is restrictive, it's most likely so on the hot side, not the cold, and you can get around it partially by bypassing part of the exhaust gas flow around it with a wastegate and dumping it into the turbine inlet of the larger LP (low-pressure) stage. That is, unless your LP turbo is already maxed, which is what I believe is more likely the case; then, the aforementioned bypassing won't help you much at all.

But of course, you won't know that just from a dyno plot, but you'd need at the absolute minimum to measure exhaust manifold pressure and EGT while performing the runs, and even better would be to simultaneously measure interstage pressure and temperature and turbo shaft RPMs.

I repeat, a dyno plot alone will not tell you what you need to know. I did my MSME in two-stage turbocharging.
I drove down to PPEI and Kory tuned it himself. He would change the tune, dyno it, and then drive it. He used EZ-LYNK to log and then used the data to make changes to the tune. He did this like 11 times. The engine has EMP, back pressure(for DPF),and EGT from the factory. We also added a pressure sensor after the LP turbo. I drove back with an R32 in an enclosed trailer. Going up hill with trailer the EGTs would hit, I think, 1400 with water injection. It was several years ago.

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
thor001

Without any data, we're all just guessing at your situation (though some of our guesses are more educated than others :)).

To be clear - this is on a 3.0 V6 EcoDiesel, correct?
Yes! Please guess! I recognize that I don't have enough knowledge or experience to make a good guess. Yes, ecodiesel, block built by wagler, wagler rods, heads flowed a little and balanced, valves shimmed a little, some mods to boost oil pressure a little, and some wagler magic. 100% over injectors, upgraded CP4.2, banks intake manifold, Big IC, built trans, w/m injection. With GTB2056VK @400hp/550torq with smokeless tune is almost there for me power wise, but with the built trans the stout motor, I would like the 500hp/660torq of the race tune but with no smoke.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
get drive pressure readings from both turbos, compare to respective boost and you'll see which turbo is the greater restriction

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
get drive pressure readings from both turbos, compare to respective boost and you'll see which turbo is the greater restriction
I need to choose the turbo first and mount the turbo system on the built engine before installation. It's possible to remove the turbo without raising the cab or pulling the the engine but I would never try to install it that way.
Thanks for the help. I guess I'm going to go with the VKLR and do the testing I didn't get to do last time. I'm looking at 6+6 MFS wheels to try to get a little more spool.

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Your guess will be better than any of ours as you've had the opportunity to see some data.

Post some actual data, then we can start making some educated guesses.

or, get a pair of these - https://hewittindustries.com/product/108-10x/

Make the green needles the compressor out pressures of each turbo and the red needles the turbine in pressure on each turbo - take a couple video's during a run and we can guess from there.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I need to choose the turbo first and mount the turbo system on the built engine before installation. It's possible to remove the turbo without raising the cab or pulling the the engine but I would never try to install it that way.
You've already chosen a turbo(s) - How did you choose the two that you have now? What data to you have to say they need to be different?

If this is going to be your approach (nothing wrong with that), then I recommend you do some modeling regarding your engine and turbo setup, else you'll be raising the cab/pulling the engine a lot. You don't need super fancy OEM grade software, excel will do just fine to get you in the right neighborhood. Else, see if someone already sells a twins kit for the 3.0 setup that is proven to work well and write the check.

Either way - take some data so you can make educated choices (and refine your model) at each iteration.

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
I have the 0-100 one on the A pillar and an edge CTS2 so I can add sensors and log. It also has alerts.

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
You've already chosen a turbo(s) - How did you choose the two that you have now? What data to you have to say they need to be different?

If this is going to be your approach (nothing wrong with that), then I recommend you do some modeling regarding your engine and turbo setup, else you'll be raising the cab/pulling the engine a lot. You don't need super fancy OEM grade software, excel will do just fine to get you in the right neighborhood. Else, see if someone already sells a twins kit for the 3.0 setup that is proven to work well and write the check.

Either way - take some data so you can make educated choices (and refine your model) at each iteration.
It came as a kit. I asked if there was an upgrade for the HP turbo and I ended up with 2259 wheel in my OEM GTB2056VK. I was looking for more spool so I chose the the GTB2259VKLR since it comes in the Maserati Ghibli 3.0D that has the ecodiesel engine.

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
Im back! Should I post info for GTB2259vklr even though its not really applicable to VW TDI? Maybe its useful? Im measuring my wheels and im not sure if im doing it right. If the exducer blade tips extend past the base where to I measure? Inducer is measured at the very top?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Oh boy... You need to start your own post and take it step by step... Sounds like you'll need a nudge here and there.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Hey Gents! Been a long time.. was digging down a rabbit hole while buying tdi repair parts and found some Porsche 911 S 3.8L and Boxster 2.4L turbos which appear to be VGT borg Warner units... I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or wheel data on these gas Variable geometry units? The underlined O at the end of the part numbers is indicating its a Austenitic steel compressor (steel turbine composite info)

The 3.8L twin turbo units appear to be some form of BV50, but the 2.4L units which are more of an interest to me are harder to find data on.

3.8L BV50 info:

CAR:

BW Part Number: * 5304 950 0042
OEM Part Number: 997.123.014.71
Manufacturer: Porsche
Vehicle: 911 Turbo (997)
Engine: 997 Top
Power (kW/HP): 350/476
Add to cart
BW Part Number: * 5304 950 0043
OEM Part Number: 997.123.013.71
Add to cart
BW Part Number: * 5304 988 0060
OEM Part Number: 997.123.014.72
Power (kW/HP): 353/480

GT2 Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2280DCB426.10BVAX0

Compressor:
Exducer Size - 56mm
Inducer Size - 45mm
Bore - ?

Turbine:
inducer is 45mm
exducer, 56mm
turbine wheel back cut to 7.5deg?

997.1TT Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2277DCB405.10BVAX0

Compressor:
Exducer Size - 60mm
Inducer Size - 43.8mm
Bore - 45

Turbine:
inducer is 43mm
exducer, 56mm
turbine wheel back cut to 7.5deg

Compressor Map (compressor map 3.8l bv50 911 vnt)

997.2TT Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2280DCB426.10BVAX0

Compressor:
Exducer Size - 56mm
Inducer Size - 45mm
Bore - ?

Turbine:
inducer is 45mm
exducer, 56mm
turbine wheel back cut to 15deg

2.5L (the one I need more information on)

Car: Porsche 982 (718) Boxster GTS 2.5L 2017 & 2018

B03VG

found the link here for more pics. Any information on wheel and a compressor map would be fantastic! turbo for sale

edit as I find info:

Compressor:
Exducer Size - 67mm
Inducer Size - ?mm
Bore - ?

Turbine:
inducer is 37mm
exducer, ?mm

@ Dave.. if you have any other gas DI VNT turbos you'd suggest to know about I'm all ears.. Diesel technology on Gas cars is really bridging the gap on fuel economy and emissions.

Last edited:

capz0r

TDI
none - bmw 320td
I've searched for this turbo in here and couldn't find it so here it goes:

GTD2056VZK BMW - 265ps B57 engine

TW: 46,9/43
CW: 43,4/56,1 with 57,7 Extended tips

MFS compressor wheel

Gardner

TDI
ASV
Does anyone have any videos of exhaust sound with a 1752 Vrk turbo on an ALH? Any pulls?
I have installed GTD1752vrk with REA on 1.9 ASV two days ago, custom downpipe 76 to 60mm , stock silencer. Still need to do SW.

edit: REA is hybrid (MB/Audi) controlled directly from EDC15 without need for convertor, also usign water to air intercooler (work in progress on pump and radiator).

Last edited:

Akakiy

TDI
VW TDI
Hey Gents! Been a long time.. was digging down a rabbit hole while buying tdi repair parts and found some Porsche 911 S 3.8L and Boxster 2.4L turbos which appear to be VGT borg Warner units... I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or wheel data on these gas Variable geometry units? The underlined O at the end of the part numbers is indicating its a Austenitic steel compressor (steel turbine composite info)

The 3.8L twin turbo units appear to be some form of BV50, but the 2.4L units which are more of an interest to me are harder to find data on.

3.8L BV50 info:

CAR:

BW Part Number: * 5304 950 0042
OEM Part Number: 997.123.014.71
Add to cart
BW Part Number: * 5304 950 0043
OEM Part Number: 997.123.013.71
Add to cart
BW Part Number: * 5304 988 0060
OEM Part Number: 997.123.014.72
Power (kW/HP): 353/480

GT2 Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2280DCB426.10BVAX0

Compressor:
Exducer Size - 56mm
Inducer Size - 45mm
Bore - ?

Turbine:
inducer is 45mm
exducer, 56mm
turbine wheel back cut to 7.5deg?

997.1TT Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2277DCB405.10BVAX0

Compressor:
Exducer Size - 60mm
Inducer Size - 43.8mm
Bore - 45

Turbine:
inducer is 43mm
exducer, 56mm
turbine wheel back cut to 7.5deg

Compressor Map (compressor map 3.8l bv50 911 vnt)

997.2TT Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2280DCB426.10BVAX0

Compressor:
Exducer Size - 56mm
Inducer Size - 45mm
Bore - ?

Turbine:
inducer is 45mm
exducer, 56mm
turbine wheel back cut to 15deg

2.5L (the one I need more information on)

Car: Porsche 982 (718) Boxster GTS 2.5L 2017 & 2018

B03VG

found the link here for more pics. Any information on wheel and a compressor map would be fantastic! turbo for sale tracking software

edit as I find info:

Compressor:
Exducer Size - 67mm
Inducer Size - ?mm
Bore - ?

Turbine:
inducer is 37mm
exducer, ?mm

@ Dave.. if you have any other gas DI VNT turbos you'd suggest to know about I'm all ears.. Diesel technology on Gas cars is really bridging the gap on fuel economy and emissions.
WOW! It's sooooo cool!!

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Any information on the new generation Garrett turbos?:
GTE1449VZ
840140-0006

@majesty78 ?

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I have installed GTD1752vrk with REA on 1.9 ASV two days ago, custom downpipe 76 to 60mm , stock silencer. Still need to do SW.
Interested to follow your experiences on retaining the REA on your ASV. Pics and details, please! Good luck on the SW.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
This isn't much, but it may aid in the search
Anyone with useful info is welcome to contribute to the knowledge base. It's not exclusive to specific individuals but some through their activities have better access to this info than others.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The lack of maps is a PITA. I now have an ALH project, and it will be getting a turbo...the GTD2056 looks quite nice; I like the larger exhaust side and don't think I need to get bonkers with low RPM boost( to keep 5th gear happy among others ). Any experience with this puppy yet? Searches on GTD2056 usually turn up the earlier GTB2056...

Douglas