turbo technical database

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Anyone know of a similar sized turbo as the GT2052?
https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/turbo/gt2052/

I need something for a small compound setup I'm building. But I'm not a fan of the flanges arrangement of that tractor turbo LOL

Thanks!

Greg
What's wrong with that one? :p

The MHI TD04L is a good similar sized candidate. The 5cm housing flows slightly less (turbine choke flow) and the 6cm housing flows slightly more than the GT20 A/R .50. The TD04L-13T-6cm from Subaru applications would work very well, but flanges are non standard.

Also some small frame Holsets will be good candidates. I had great success with HE200WG-5cm as HP turbo.

What LP turbo will you be using? HP goal?

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
What's wrong with that one? :p
The MHI TD04L is a good similar sized candidate. The 5cm housing flows slightly less (turbine choke flow) and the 6cm housing flows slightly more than the GT20 A/R .50. The TD04L-13T-6cm from Subaru applications would work very well, but flanges are non standard.
Also some small frame Holsets will be good candidates. I had great success with HE200WG-5cm as HP turbo.
What LP turbo will you be using? HP goal?

I'm looking for a no wastegate turbo since I have a external wastegate the only thing I could find is gt2052s but then I could only find Chinese stuff.

The compound is not to make insane power numbers it is just to fight the altitude for Pikes peak hill climb.

The turbo selection is for now is gt2052s and G25-550

Power is 320HP and pressure 45PSI

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I used the gt2052s from LPT 2.3 saab motors as an HP turbo, at around 35 psi intake manifold, with 15 psi interstage

the thrust bearings lasted less than 5000 miles, I put in the bigger GT25 thrust components and they lasted... 5k miles or so
Later on I moved to a td04 HP running 45-50 psi IMP and 15-20 psi interstage, again the stock thrust bearings did not last long, but an updated part with two oil feed holes in the thrust bearing has now lasted 30k or so
which is to say, I'd recommend skipping the garrett for HP service, they are very lightly built for such severe service

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
I used the gt2052s from LPT 2.3 saab motors as an HP turbo, at around 35 psi intake manifold, with 15 psi interstage

the thrust bearings lasted less than 5000 miles, I put in the bigger GT25 thrust components and they lasted... 5k miles or so
Later on I moved to a td04 HP running 45-50 psi IMP and 15-20 psi interstage, again the stock thrust bearings did not last long, but an updated part with two oil feed holes in the thrust bearing has now lasted 30k or so
which is to say, I'd recommend skipping the garrett for HP service, they are very lightly built for such severe service

I'm only intend to use gt2052 as HP @18psi

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
I do 300 miles per year. I can change the turbo every race. My concern was will it hold for 100-200miles ??

Thanks for your input 486