Turbo replacement

tdi_514

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG
Any of you guys had it done? Driving to work the glow plug light came on, started blinking and engine went into limp mode. Starting the car after work gave me some trouble as well.
Went to the dealer and they told me my turbo was going (because I drive like a 90 year old). It has a bit over 120k. Luckily it's covered under that emissions warranty.. saved myself a couple of thousands of dollars.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Start driving it like you stole it. :)
At least once in a while.
I do a trophy run every time I get on a highway.
It kept my 03 clean.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
The problem with driving it like an old fart, besides turbos going and the risk of lugging the engine, is that you’ll eventually lose compression and may start to lose oil past the rings. The TDIs and other modern turbocharged diesels are designed to be run on boost. It helps everything stay cleaner, tighter, more limber and just run better for longer.

They do not like being babied and they’ll let you know it.

Last edited:

lik87

TDI
2012 Jetta
Hi there. My 2012 Jetta TDI with 76k miles just got turbo failure. Dropped it off at VW dealership and was denied to perform the service under warranty, because they found this car rusted, which is absolutely untrue( couple rusted bolts under the hood). Has anyone here had this kind of situation at all?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hi there. My 2012 Jetta TDI with 76k miles just got turbo failure. Dropped it off at VW dealership and was denied to perform the service under warranty, because they found this car rusted, which is absolutely untrue( couple rusted bolts under the hood). Has anyone here had this kind of situation at all?
call vw usa corporate. rust should have no bearing on warentied parts. If that were the case any part lifetime warranty would be void if rust was found. I had to replace a cv axle a few times due to failure. It had rust after a few months.
I think the only reason the warranty can be voided is if its tuned.

Grimmy

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Comfortline
I had mine replaced under warranty, after experiencing low boost related CEL and limp modes.

On the way home after picking up from the dealer, symptom persisted. Ended up being a loose EGR intake hose. Cost me 400 bucks for them to replace the clamp, apparently it's not covered emissions extended warranty (the clamp at the egr is not covered) and they claimed it's hard to get at. I paid to get my car back and complained to manager, cost me 4 days of car rental, no loaner. Never heard back from dealer, never got a follow up.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
$400 for a loose clamp? That's insane AND incompetent. I don't know how it is in Canada, but in the U.S. whatever work was done and part(s) were manipulated during the repair are covered for 1yr/12k miles on the shop's dime.

That's just robbery.

Grimmy

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Comfortline
Yup, but I commute 76 km each way each day, and I need my TDI.

Needless to say, I invested in Vagcom software and cable, specific tools for VW, and guess what: my dealer only gets parts sales from me, or warranty work. I'm gonna do my own service.

They want 190 for an oil change and tire rotation. I do it myself for 80 CAD.
I've dont my own fuel filter, DSG service. The laboir savings have paid for the tools.

I hate my local stealership.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk