Turbo replacement under Emissions warranty

johnnywalter

TDI
2013 Passat
My turbo is failing. tech wrote up work order for turbo and DPF.
I requested this be covered under the emissions warranty, and VoA declined the repair indicating the car was out of warranty period (@120k mi).
The car was placed back in service in from the emissions recall 2019 at 116k. I feel like this should be covered under the extended emissions warranty, that would cover the period of 4.3 yr or 51k, both of which the car still would qualify. The turbo and DPF are listed as a component in the emissions warranty.
Does the turbo drop out of the warranty early, what am i missing???
I paln to call VoA next week, and want to gather facts and opinions from others whom may have gone down this road with VoA.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're under the mileage (48k for automatic models, slightly more for manual), then yes the repair is covered.

Show that info to the VW dealer. If the still give you pushback then contact the regional or national VW office.

johnnywalter

TDI
2013 Passat
the service writer has the info, and is eager to make the repair, they could not get concurrence from VW. I havent searched the threads yet for good contract numbers. I am wondering if others ran into the same obstacle...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It's almost never easy and always take some work. Some people seem to have better luck than others getting things done. It helps if you're well versed in what the warranty says and specifies.

johnnywalter

TDI
2013 Passat
Customer care got through to the dealer. Turbo, DPF and other items covered under emissions warranty (excess of $7k). I don't know who was telling the service department that the warranty expired, but, it was incorrect. They were going off a vwhub.

Last edited:

RSH

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Took my 2013 Passat tdi to the dealer on Monday 11/14 for low power. flashing glow plug light and check engine light on. Dealer called back today saying bad turbo, ordered new one, covered by extended emissions warranty. This happened 1 day after replacing leaking water pump and timing belt. Car has 70,000 miles.