Turbo rebuild

GT TDI Golf

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Does anyone know of where I could get my turbo rebuilt? I bought a Street Toys 1856 from KERMA around 6-7 years ago and it has developed a strange sound. I'm trying to find the time to pull it and take a look at what has happened to it. Some background info: I've been running it with a Malone tune at around 24psi with PP502 nozzles. Always have run synthetic 5w-40 oil and changed at 5k intervals. Turbo has around 60k miles on it. Car has 175k. I contacted KERMA and they said they don't rebuild the turbos but offered to sell me a new one. Really don't want to invest that much more money in the car. I may end up selling it in the near future or keep it, who knows. I've had it since new and has faithfully served me well. I'm afraid that the turbo may fail and take the motor with it if it's continually driven. Anyone have any advice on what to do or a shop that will rebuild it? Thanks everyone!!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
They are correct, turbos can not be rebuilt in a reliable manner. Prothe does sell a rebuilt that will most likely destroy your car.

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
Depends on what is wrong with it. I had one that needed new bearings and a local place called ADP Distributors took it all apart and clean it to look like new, installed a rebuild kit and rebalanced it. Total was $300 out the door

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
They are correct, turbos can not be rebuilt in a reliable manner. Prothe does sell a rebuilt that will most likely destroy your car.
The first part is simply not true. They CAN be rebuilt reliably but it seems no one bothers to do it right. It seems most turbo builders cannot wrap their head that our turbos are assembly balanced and not component balanced...

OP: I am not familiar with this turbo. Is it a GTB series?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh I rebuilt a GT1749VA, had it running decent boost for ages, took it off to fit the VB and it was still in mint condition, no play nothing. It's just where to buy the parts and who to balance it for you after. I'm not familiar with who's who on your side of the pond.

GT TDI Golf

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Email sent KERMA.
It's not a GTB. It was a turbo that KERMA had previously offered. Awesome performing turbo. A bit slower spool compared to my buddies TDI with an S7 turbo but has longer legs so to speak. Great passing power for sure.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I rebuilt my GT2052v on my kitchen table. Carefully marked where the compressor and it's nut were in relation to the turbine before I took it apart (took a few photos too), replaced all the bearings and seals, and put it back exactly as it was. Its still making 28psi 60,000 miles later.

Its not rocket surgery :p

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Turbo lab of America is where my turbo is being rebuilt. If the guts of your turbo aren't trashed, $180.00 is the going rate for an overhaul IIRC.

GT TDI Golf

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I pulled the turbo over the weekend. I don't see any indication that the wheel hit the housing at all. Sending it back to Kerma later this week. Hopefully it only needs bearings and seals and it'll be good to go again. Fingers crossed!