TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Data Compilation to date: 3/30/14, eight more failures added this week, including the first MY 2014 failure.

2012 Passats = 24
2013 Passats = 64
2014 Passats = 1

Highest mileage turbo failure: 100000
Lowest mileage turbo failure: 660

High temperature at failure: 86*
Low temp at failure: -10*

Transmissions in cars with turbo failure:
DSG: 37
6M: 37
Unknown: 17

From April-September 2013 there were five reported turbo failures in this thread. Warm weather.

From November 2013-March 30 2014 there have been fifty six (56) reported turbo failures.
Here is some more information for the stats that might be useful.

From Fuelly:

39 Chev

TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
New member reporting 2014 Turbo failure #2...

Failed on my way home from work about 5 miles from home. Almost didn't make it home...when I turned off the highway onto a paved County Road, it spewed smoke like it was on fire (didn't smoke very much going down the highway, just NO power). Made it the last 1/2 mile and turned into my 500' long driveway, almost didn't make it up the driveway. Stalled about 250', restarted and died, restarted again and just barely pulled up to the garage. Called tow truck.

Miles on car at failure: 7000
Build date: ??? Early 2014
Corrective actions from dealership: Changing out turbo and dpf
Outside air temps at failure:40F
Failure warning signs, if any: High pitch whine for a couple of days
Warning lights on dash/MFI: glow plug and eventually check engine
Problems since replacement: just got it back
Repair time: 10 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: One other one (small dealership)
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Hadn't even made it to 1st oil change
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: NA
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
Did you baby your car or not: baby to moderate 60-65, heated garage
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: ???
How long is your daily commute: 20 each way
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): DSG
Failed turbo part number (if known):
Replacement turbo part number (if known):

wdb

TDI
Passat
Miles on car at failure: 14609
Build date: 04/2012
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced turbo.
Outside air temps at failure:<32F
Failure warning signs, if any:Whine while driving under load.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: None.
Problems since replacement:None.
Repair time:7 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures:No.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:Yes.
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
Did you baby your car or not:Yes
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations:I am not sure.
How long is your daily commute:100 mi
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual):6M

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Just to clarify about continuing to drive while in turbo failure...

Chances are better than even that your blown turbo will be spewing engine oil into the exhaust and intake systems. Perhaps only one or the other, but your engine will be eating its lifeblood. This means that you have only a limited time to shut down even if you're able to move.

Safety... Your personal safety is most important. Do what it takes to get to a safe spot, then shut down. If you have to ruin an engine while seeking safety, then so be it. Mechanicals can be replaced, you can't.

If you experience a failure and are able to immediately shut down, then don't attempt to continue on. While some have been able to limp to a dealer, the chances are still very high of of increased damage to your car by attempting this.

Personal and passenger safety is primary. Do whatever it takes to remove the vehicle and yourself from immediate danger. Once done, then worry about the car. Just don't pile further abuse on the vehicle by attempting to push past the limits of a very sick engine.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Two more failures last week. I will wait until next week to compile the results. If the trend continues, as I suspect it will with warmer weather, this thread will die off until about December of next year with just a smattering of reported failures.

geckonh

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Failure in NH 04/08/14

Year: 2012
Model: Passat TDI SE
Miles: 75K
Maintenance: religiously
Last Maintenance: March 2014
Situation: I drive 120mi each day round trip to work. Yesterday's morning commute was fine, just rainy. The car started fine for the evening commute. I drove about .2mi when a "wind" noise started. I had not gone over 30mph. I stopped the car, shut it off and restarted it. I drove about another .5mi before the "wind" noise started again. Repeated stop/off/restart. Attempted to get on highway, when speed reached 45mph the glo-plug light came on. Pulled over, shut it off, called for tow. Waiting on dealer now. They claim it's happening more and more.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Year: 2012
Model: Passat TDI SE
Miles: 75K
Maintenance: religiously
Last Maintenance: March 2014
Situation: I drive 120mi each day round trip to work. Yesterday's morning commute was fine, just rainy. The car started fine for the evening commute. I drove about .2mi when a "wind" noise started. I had not gone over 30mph. I stopped the car, shut it off and restarted it. I drove about another .5mi before the "wind" noise started again. Repeated stop/off/restart. Attempted to get on highway, when speed reached 45mph the glo-plug light came on. Pulled over, shut it off, called for tow. Waiting on dealer now. They claim it's happening more and more.
Please confirm that this is a turbo failure and not just a split boost hose (there have been a few of those reported).

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
From member spartatdichicago via PM, states he was unable to post.

2013 Passat TDI 7790 mi 6spd 34 degrees IL UnK build
i just want you to know, on my work order is a Tech Bulletin 2036110. I called the VW call center and created a case. District guy called, advise me they know nothing about turbo failures, this was a rare failure. The service dept advised me this was the 3rd one in two weeks. Sounds like VW is taking a page from the GM playbook. I tried to post, but was not able.
according to the tech guy at the VW shop, they have updated the turbine wheel as well. Clearly not the same care and I have the wonderful smell of coolant in the car. Hopefully there is no leaks

geckonh

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Please confirm that this is a turbo failure and not just a split boost hose (there have been a few of those reported).
It was a turbo failure. The repair is being covered by the manufacturer of the original part.

Turbo__Diesel

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 1993 Ford F250 Turbo Diesel, 1993 Bluebird Wanderlodge - 8V92 2Stroke Detroit Diesel, 1988 International Harvester S1900 DT466 Turbo Diesel, 2001 Caterpillar 75kw Turbo Diesel generator, 1970 Case D310G Diesel crawler
Turbo failure #6 for me!

Dadelut dadelut dadelut dadelut dadelut. That's the trumpet fanfare for those of you in Rio Linda. My wife experienced her 6th turbo failure. 3 on the first 2013, now the 3rd on her replacement 2013 (replaced under Wisconsin's Lemon Law) Here's the ugliness:

• Miles on car at failure: 11,500 (first at about 9,000, 2nd after 929 more miles, now this at 11,500 - just under 1600 miles later)
  • Build date: 6/2013
  • Corrective actions from dealership: Another POS 0020 turbo
  • Outside air temps at failure: 45F
  • Failure warning signs, if any: imntermittent barking, screeching for a couple weeks
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug
  • Problems since replacement: I guarantee it WILL FAIL AGAIN
  • Repair time: Still at the shop.
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Lied to my face - I asked a couple mechanics (one of which I know had replaced at least two of my turbos) if they have had any other Passat turbos fail. They said maybe one or two. I replied "that's interesting, because I have personally had 5 fail and your dealership replaced all 5 of them" They walked away.
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: yes
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
  • Are you the original owner of the car: Yes, both cars
  • Did you baby your car or not: Yes
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Not sure
  • How long is your daily commute: 9 miles one way
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): 6MT
  • Failed turbo part number (if known): 0020
  • Replacement turbo part number (if known):0020

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Dadelut dadelut dadelut dadelut dadelut. That's the trumpet fanfare for those of you in Rio Linda. My wife experienced her 6th turbo failure. 3 on the first 2013, now the 3rd on her replacement 2013 (replaced under Wisconsin's Lemon Law) Here's the ugliness:

• Miles on car at failure: 11,500 (first at about 9,000, 2nd after 929 more miles, now this at 11,500 - just under 1600 miles later)
  • Build date: 6/2013
  • Corrective actions from dealership: Another POS 0020 turbo
  • Outside air temps at failure: 45F
  • Failure warning signs, if any: imntermittent barking, screeching for a couple weeks
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug
  • Problems since replacement: I guarantee it WILL FAIL AGAIN
  • Repair time: Still at the shop.
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Lied to my face - I asked a couple mechanics (one of which I know had replaced at least two of my turbos) if they have had any other Passat turbos fail. They said maybe one or two. I replied "that's interesting, because I have personally had 5 fail and your dealership replaced all 5 of them" They walked away.
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: yes
  • Are you the original owner of the car: Yes, both cars
  • Did you baby your car or not: Yes
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Not sure
  • How long is your daily commute: 9 miles one way
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): 6MT
  • Failed turbo part number (if known): 0020
  • Replacement turbo part number (if known):0020
Geez louise!! Thats is so crazy, 6! Good luck with the next one!

kwick

TDI
'13 Passat, 6M
Another northern state failure

16,000 mi on SE w/ 6spd MT, outside about 45*, no lights until just before final failure, then blinking glow plug , steady on engine light. Build date 6/13, purchased 7/13 w/ 36 mi on it. Dealer serviced at 10k. 80 miles/day RT commute, slow through town for a few miles, then max highway speed posted is 55, slow through 2 towns along the way. Perfect commute for this car, avg near 50 mpg last summer, low 40's through the winter. Warning signs - high pitched whine few weeks ago, initially thought I was hearing radio interference - turned it off to check, still there, wondered if I just never noticed it before (new to turbos and diesels). Had been using additives, but not since January (wanted to see if it affected mpg). 5 days before final break down, had the first episode of no engine response - could floor it, no response whatsoever. Downshift, was able to pick it back up. Intermittent over the next few days. When it finally went, the lights came on as above, pulled over when I could. Difficult restart, then went in to limp mode. Smoking. Drove a bit, smoked worse, pulled over, let it cool down. Restart, slower limp mode, lots more smoke . Tow truck called.

Dealer experience so far has been good. Called next day, turbo's gone, they said they needed to get a bolt or plug or something that allows them to bypass the turbo and run the engine to check for damage, they had accounted for all metal parts of the broken turbo. Number unknown, I haven't seen it. Asked me if I needed a loaner, and that the determination was turbo only, or new engine. Went up Sat to pick up the loaner, (spent Fri nite reading the disc. thread so I knew the story, what to ask, etc- thank you all!) got to talk to the mechanic doing the work. Seemed conversant with the issue, told me this was their third. Asked about DPF, alignment after dropping the subframe, etc., all positive responses. Word today is that engine checked out, so they'll get the turbo and whatever else, should be done this week. Also asked his opinion on engine heaters, he was very positive, and so I went up today and brought my Frostheater I had not installed, he said he'd put in on since it'd be easy. I had gotten mixed messages on it locally, and had no trouble starting this winter, so hadn't installed it myself, but now it's going in for sure- who knows if it'll have any impact on the turbo issue, but can't hurt (no garage, either). Very pleased so far with dealer response - and I didn't buy the car there. Wife feels I should push for an engine, but on the thread, looks like changing out the turbo has been the standard, without demonstrable engine damage? Will update with any progress. Oh yeah - I drive reasonably, maybe too easy on it - typically shift before 3000, run below 2000. I plan on adjusting that, rev higher at least once in a while - if this one is going to blow, I want it to go fast. I love this car, but I want to trust it again. My loaner is a Passat gasser, AT - I would not own that car. Keep reaching for my clutch, and "only" averaging 30ish mpg- great for the size, but that ain't 50...

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
16,000 mi on SE w/ 6spd MT, outside about 45*, no lights until just before final failure, then blinking glow plug , steady on engine light. Build date 6/13, purchased 7/13 w/ 36 mi on it. Dealer serviced at 10k. 80 miles/day RT commute, slow through town for a few miles, then max highway speed posted is 55, slow through 2 towns along the way. Perfect commute for this car, avg near 50 mpg last summer, low 40's through the winter. Warning signs - high pitched whine few weeks ago, initially thought I was hearing radio interference - turned it off to check, still there, wondered if I just never noticed it before (new to turbos and diesels). Had been using additives, but not since January (wanted to see if it affected mpg). 5 days before final break down, had the first episode of no engine response - could floor it, no response whatsoever. Downshift, was able to pick it back up. Intermittent over the next few days. When it finally went, the lights came on as above, pulled over when I could. Difficult restart, then went in to limp mode. Smoking. Drove a bit, smoked worse, pulled over, let it cool down. Restart, slower limp mode, lots more smoke . Tow truck called.

Dealer experience so far has been good. Called next day, turbo's gone, they said they needed to get a bolt or plug or something that allows them to bypass the turbo and run the engine to check for damage, they had accounted for all metal parts of the broken turbo. Number unknown, I haven't seen it. Asked me if I needed a loaner, and that the determination was turbo only, or new engine. Went up Sat to pick up the loaner, (spent Fri nite reading the disc. thread so I knew the story, what to ask, etc- thank you all!) got to talk to the mechanic doing the work. Seemed conversant with the issue, told me this was their third. Asked about DPF, alignment after dropping the subframe, etc., all positive responses. Word today is that engine checked out, so they'll get the turbo and whatever else, should be done this week. Also asked his opinion on engine heaters, he was very positive, and so I went up today and brought my Frostheater I had not installed, he said he'd put in on since it'd be easy. I had gotten mixed messages on it locally, and had no trouble starting this winter, so hadn't installed it myself, but now it's going in for sure- who knows if it'll have any impact on the turbo issue, but can't hurt (no garage, either). Very pleased so far with dealer response - and I didn't buy the car there. Wife feels I should push for an engine, but on the thread, looks like changing out the turbo has been the standard, without demonstrable engine damage? Will update with any progress. Oh yeah - I drive reasonably, maybe too easy on it - typically shift before 3000, run below 2000. I plan on adjusting that, rev higher at least once in a while - if this one is going to blow, I want it to go fast. I love this car, but I want to trust it again. My loaner is a Passat gasser, AT - I would not own that car. Keep reaching for my clutch, and "only" averaging 30ish mpg- great for the size, but that ain't 50...
Can you please fill out the questions below. Thanks

If you have had a failure, please post the following.

• Miles on car at failure:
  • Build date:
  • Corrective actions from dealership:
  • Outside air temps at failure:
  • Failure warning signs, if any:
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI:
  • Problems since replacement:
  • Repair time:
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures:
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:
  • Are you the original owner of the car:
  • Did you baby your car or not:
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerations:
  • How long is your daily commute:
  • Transmission (DSG/auto or manual):
  • Failed turbo part number (if known):
  • Replacement turbo part number (if known):
  • Did you warm your car in winter, how long?

kwick

TDI
'13 Passat, 6M
-miles on car :16,500
-build date: 6/13
-corrective actions/dealer: replacing turbo, other parts (haven't seen list yet); said they did something to bypass the turbo and tested how the engine ran to see if it needed replacement (whole engine)- said it was OK
-warning signs:eek:ver a 2 week period: intermittent whistling, loss of response to throttle; at death - limp mode, difficult restart, copious smoke
-lights: just prior to full failure, glow plug light blinking, engine light steady on
-not yet repaired
-mechanic reported I'm the third
-on schedule, dealer maint. at 10K
-original owner
-baby or not: actually, probably yes, shift before 3 k, run 1.2-1.8 k regularly (6 MT)
-interrupt DPF: once early on, when I wasn't sure what it was, not knowingly since- rarely happens in the driveway
-commute: 40 mi each way- 25 for a mile, 35 for 2 more, then 55, slowing for 2 small towns the rest of the way
-Manual transmission
-turbo part unknown, same for replacement
-No warming this past winter, no idling; going to install Frostheater now

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Should this thread not be a sticky? Some new posters may not see this and miss reporting a failure?

Don

TDI
Passat
1st Failure

I've had two turbo failures on my 2013 Passat:

1st Failure

Miles on car at failure: 7000
Build date: June 2013
Corrective actions from dealership: Changed Out Turbo
Outside air temps at failure: 20's
Failure warning signs, if any: Glow plug indicator came on a few days prior to failure. Shut down and restarted, glow plug went away. Day of failure, engine began whining, within 15 miles the glow plug came on and the car struggled to shift out of first.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Glow Plug light
Problems since replacement: Additional Turbo Failure
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: One other one had come in the exact same day... exact same year of passat... and nearly the same miles.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Hadn't even made it to 1st oil change
Are you the original owner of the car: No. Bought it certified with only 3,000 miles on it.
Did you baby your car or not: Moderate usage
How long is your daily commute: 5 Miles each way
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): Auto

2nd Failure

Miles on car at failure: 11,000
Build date: June 2013
Corrective actions from dealership: Changed Out Turbo, changed out various lines feeding turbo
Outside air temps at failure: 70's... whine began in morning temps in the high 30's.
Failure warning signs, if any: Whine began. Immediately took it to dealer. They said if I have any more problems to let them know. Turbo failed the next day.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Glow Plug light once failure occured.
Problems since replacement: None yet... Although hopefully one more so Lemon Law kicks in.
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: They've noticed more problems since my last visit.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Was schedule for oil change 1 day after failure.
Are you the original owner of the car: No. Bought it certified with only 3,000 miles on it.
Did you baby your car or not: Moderate usage
How long is your daily commute: 5 Miles each way
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): Auto

Last edited:

jdboone

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI - Blue Graphite/Anthracite - Pkg II - DSG; 2006 NB TDI - Gecko Green/Anthracite - Pkg I - DSG; 2014 Passat TDI SEL - Black/Titan Black - DSG
2014 Passat turbo failure on 5/13/14

Miles on car at failure: 6,501
Build date: 7/13
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced turbo and assorted other parts
Outside air temps at failure: 55 F
Failure warning signs, if any: None
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Do not recall any
Problems since replacement: Just replaced yesterday, so no.
Repair time: 1 day
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Said had had a few failures related to berings
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Had not reached scheduled maintenance yet
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: N/A
Did you baby your car or not: No, but I was not hard on it either
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: If they were occurring when I reached my destination, then yes, I would shut car off
How long is your daily commute: Less that 1 mile
Failed turbo part number (if known): Unknown
Replacement turbo part number (if known): Unknown
Did you warm your car in winter, how long? No

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Seriously, read the thread title. NOT a discussion thread. If you want to discuss things, post anywhere else.

DeadCatBounce

TDI
2013 SEL Passat TDI
Miles on car at failure: 16,170
Build date: 1/13
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced turbo, gaskets, oil line and other parts.
Outside air temps at failure: 70 F
Failure warning signs, if any: None
Warning lights on dash/MFI: None
Problems since replacement: Just replaced, no.
Repair time: 5 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Said they had few others, admitted there was a service bulletin on the issue.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes, 1 oil change.
Did you baby your car or not: No
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Only once.
How long is your daily commute: 60 miles, round trip.
Did you warm your car in winter, how long? No

DeltaOne

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG (Dad's)
Miles on car at failure: 17,8xx
Build date: 10/12
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced turbo, gaskets, oil line and other parts.
Outside air temps at failure: 70ish
Failure warning signs, if any: Whistling noise under acceleration, groaning sounding noise under deceleration just before failure, car lurched when attempting to leave a stop sign and immediate loss of power. Put transmission selector into N to coast to a stop on side of highway, unable to get transmission back into D without turning car off and back on again
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Glow plug light flashing, CEL
Problems since replacement: Replaced approx. 250 miles ago, no.
Repair time: 7 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: No, service advisor offered own personal account of similar failure from non-VW diesel vehicle (see below)
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes (dad)
Did you baby your car or not: Me: yes. Dad: unsure
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Never heard of this, unsure
How long is your daily commute: 30 miles, round trip.
Did you warm your car in winter, how long? Me: Yes, 5-6 minutes. Dad: Unsure

Service advisor at dealership explained that the oil feed line to the turbocharger had become clogged with carbonized oil, leading to oil starvation and failure. He explained that this happens when the car is run for extended periods at highway speeds (65+ mph for 1+ hrs) or heavy stop-and-go traffic and then parked and shut down without allowing an idle time of at least 2 minutes for new oil to cycle through the turbocharger. Heated oil is left inside the feed line after engine shut down and solidifies and clogs the line over time. He explained that this once happened on his own personal Duramax 2500 HD and he installed a turbo timer to prevent the issue from happening again. Being that A - this is my dad's car and B - it's under warranty, I'm not sure that this is the route my dad wants to take. Knowing how my dad is, the car is likely to be traded in before going over the warranty period.

Dschuttig

TDI
03 Jetta 12 Passat
Miles on car at failure: 31k
Build date: ?
Corrective actions from dealership: new turbo, particulate filter, now needs major engine work - update - engine replaced (long block) on 6/17/14
Outside air temps at failure: 80
Failure warning signs, if any: check engine light came on 4 weeks earlier then went off
Warning lights on dash/MFI: blinking glow plug light
Problems since replacement: not back yet - 600 miles away
Repair time:
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: oil starvation, esp when making turns
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: yes
Are you the original owner of the car: yes
Did you baby your car or not: baby
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: ?
How long is your daily commute: 40mi
Transmission (DSG/auto or manual): dsg auto
Failed turbo part number (if known): ?
Replacement turbo part number (if known):?

Last edited:

NJ Passat TDI

TDI
2013 Passat SE
2013 Passat TDI turbo failure - Jan 2014

Miles on car at failure: 18200
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced Turbo, service dept then tested vehicle and heard knocking, found metal in oil pan, then also replaced the engine (long block 03L100035L)
Outside air temps at failure: 19 degrees F
Failure warning signs, if any: Very slight turbo whine began a few days earlier
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug indicator (LOTS of blue smoke, so I pulled to the shoulder rather quickly). Dealer said I had less than three quarts of oil in the engine when they inspected it, but the low oil light never came on.
Problems since replacement: 4900 miles later, the Check Engine light came on – the DPF had failed and was replaced
Repair time: Two weeks (turbo & long block)
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: They said it was their first TDI turbo failure.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes, at 10004 miles
Did you baby your car or not: Moderate driver; mostly highway cruising
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Twice. Didn’t know at the time what the smell, heat from the engine and running cooling fans meant when I parked the car, but I do now.
How long is your daily commute: 25 miles each way, 23 are highway
Replacement turbo part number (if known): 03L253056QX (BV40-0020)
Did you warm your car in winter, how long? 15 seconds, kept RPM at or below 2000 until warmed up.
Note: VW was great, towed the car quickly at no expense, dealer provided a nice loaner car at no cost while mine was being repaired, and dealer service manager kept me well informed during the process.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Miles on car at failure: 18200
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced Turbo, service dept then tested vehicle and heard knocking, found metal in oil pan, then also replaced the engine (long block 03L100035L)
Outside air temps at failure: 19 degrees F
Failure warning signs, if any: Very slight turbo whine began a few days earlier
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug indicator (LOTS of blue smoke, so I pulled to the shoulder rather quickly). Dealer said I had less than three quarts of oil in the engine when they inspected it, but the low oil light never came on.
Problems since replacement: 4900 miles later, the Check Engine light came on – the DPF had failed and was replaced
Repair time: Two weeks (turbo & long block)
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: They said it was their first TDI turbo failure.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes, at 10004 miles
Did you baby your car or not: Moderate driver; mostly highway cruising
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Twice. Didn’t know at the time what the smell, heat from the engine and running cooling fans meant when I parked the car, but I do now.
How long is your daily commute: 25 miles each way, 23 are highway
Replacement turbo part number (if known): 03L253056QX (BV40-0020)
Did you warm your car in winter, how long? 15 seconds, kept RPM at or below 2000 until warmed up.
Note: VW was great, towed the car quickly at no expense, dealer provided a nice loaner car at no cost while mine was being repaired, and dealer service manager kept me well informed during the process.
Sorry about your failure, glad that your VW experience was good. I'll guess that this failure was a while ago, considering it was 19* at failure?

Motley

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Add another to the list! I hope the replacement is covered under a warranty as I don't want to do this every 18 months. The car was new on the road in January 2013.

Miles on car at failure: 82,000km
Build date: unknown
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced turbo and DPF, changed oil, cleaned lines, etc.
Outside air temps at failure: 23C
Failure warning signs, if any: none before, whistling after failure
Warning lights on dash/MFI: none before, flashing glow plug light after failure
Problems since replacement: unknown
Repair time: Two days...impressive
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: They are aware that Passat turbo's are failing at a greater rate than other models.
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: n/a
Did you baby your car or not: no
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: occasionally
How long is your daily commute: 256km round trip
Failed turbo part number (if known): unknown
Replacement turbo part number (if known): unknown
Did you warm your car in winter, how long?: no

Will update as information becomes available.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Data Compilation to date: 3/30/14, eight more failures added this week, including the first MY 2014 failure.

2012 Passats = 24
2013 Passats = 64
2014 Passats = 1

Highest mileage turbo failure: 100000
Lowest mileage turbo failure: 660

High temperature at failure: 86*
Low temp at failure: -10*

Transmissions in cars with turbo failure:
DSG: 37
6M: 37
Unknown: 17

From April-September 2013 there were five reported turbo failures in this thread. Warm weather.

From November 2013-March 30 2014 there have been fifty six (56) reported turbo failures.
Quick update, as I don't have near the time I do in the winter to update this thread, and I apologize about that. Since 3/30/2014 there have been 17 reported turbo failures. This brings the current total to: 105 reported failures.

2012 Passats = 27
2013 Passats = 74
2014 Passats = 4

If anyone else feels inclined to do a full update, please do, I have to go move irrigation.

vdubbintdi

TDI
Midnight Blue Metallic 2013 PASSAT SE DSG
2 Turbos 2250 Apart

Miles on car at failure:
1st Failure: 31,741
2nd Failure: 33,991

Build date: 10/2012
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced Turbo and all corresponding parts
Outside air temps at failure:
1st Failure: 9
2nd Failure: 32

Failure warning signs, if any: Low Fuel Mileage, occasional loss of power
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Glow plug light came on
Problems since replacement: None
Repair time:
1st Failure: 6 weeks
2nd Failure: 7 Days

Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Claimed I was the first
Did you baby your car or not: No
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: No
How long is your daily commute: 56 Miles 1 way
1st Failure: Unknown
2nd Failure: 03L-145-771-AN

1st Failure: 03L-145-771-AN
2nd Failure: 03L-253-056-QX

verleihnixtoyou

TDI
2013 VW PASSAT TDI SE
Turbo Failures on PASSAT TDI SE (US model)

TURBO FAILURE #1
Miles on car at failure : 3568
Build date: 2013
Corrective actions from dealership: replaced turbo
Outside air temps at failure:35
Failure warning signs, if any: limb mode
Warning lights on dash/MFI: yes
Problems since replacement: see below
Repair time: 16 days (had to wait for part from Germany)
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: n/a
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: dealership
Did you baby your car or not:
How long is your daily commute: 15 miles one way
Replacement turbo part number (if known): 03L-253-056-QX
Did you warm your car in winter, how long? no

TURBO FAILURE #2
Miles on car at failure : 19560
Build date: 2013
Corrective actions from dealership: replaced turbo
Outside air temps at failure:73
Failure warning signs, if any: whistle noise, glow plug, limb mode
Warning lights on dash/MFI: yes
Problems since replacement: grinding noise
Repair time: 13 days (had to wait for part from Germany)
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: n/a
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: dealership
Did you baby your car or not:
How long is your daily commute: 15 miles one way
Failed turbo part number (if known): 03L-253-056-QX
Replacement turbo part number (if known): 03L-253-056-QX
Did you warm your car in winter, how long? no

Last edited:

inderwies

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Miles on car at failure: 48,100
Build date: 12-2012
Corrective actions from dealership: Awaiting response, towed to dealer where purchased (Gebhardt VW)
Outside air temps at failure: 81 degrees F
Failure warning signs, if any: whistling, loss of power
Warning lights on dash/MFI: glow plug light
Problems since replacement: n/a
Repair time: n/a
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: not yet. When he asked my service advisor about it last year, he seemed to suggest that it wasn't a widespread issue
Did you baby your car or not: Not really, fast highway miles, two cross-country drives, also used for urban UberX service for 3,000 miles
Do you interrupt DPF regenerations: Yes
How long is your daily commute: n/a (work from home)

Last edited:

Paulie

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6 speed
Warranty extended to 2014 Passat.
I asked for the turbo warranty for my new 2014 Passat and I got it; Here is a copy of the email;
Good morning Mr. "Paulie", (I changed my last name : )

I would like to thank you for the information request and to also supply an answer to your question. I researched your concern and found out that VW is going to extend the warranty on the turbo of your vehicle for 01.29.2024 or 120,000 miles whichever occurs first. This warranty extension is posted to your VIN on the VW dealer page so any VW dealer can access this information to display the Turbo warranty extension. Please see me with any questions.

Thanks,
Chris Lange
Service Director
Suburban Imports of Troy
Suburban Hyundai of Troy
Suburban Infiniti of Troy
clange@suburbancollection.com

Hi VW, The 2014 Passat car I bought from you, has an engine code of CKRA, and was built in NOV 14th of 2013. I heard the 2012 and 2013 passat's are getting an extended warranty for the emission controls part that covers the turbo. Will my 2014 passat get that extension? Here i a copy of the article; Turbocharger Limited Warranty Extension VWP-14-04.