Turbo oil seals blow out.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I went back to the website mentioned above (not saying it's name prevents the meta bots from finding this thread) If you already know this, please do not be offended.
A 17/22 is equal to the 17/52 in terms of compressor wheel size, this is where the term hybrid comes from. They are using an unmodified hot side from a VNT-17 and a machined VNT-17 cold side, if I am reading their ad properly. It isn't a big deal, actually. Send your cold side and the CHRA to the turbo shop, and they will send back parts ready to be installed. My hybrid cost me $100 for the machining and about $100 for the billet compressor wheel. Somewhere around $200 without shipping
These prices are 4 years old...

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
HI,

Not the cheapest but I hear he 17/22 is good... I plan on upgrading to this after a clutch or 6 speed swap

Andrew
Did you ever think about making your bad turbo into a 17/22 size, like the one above mentioned? If you are really lucky, your cartridge might just need to be rebuilt, and re- balanced, and machined possibly costing less than $500.00 not including shipping.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Did you ever think about making your bad turbo into a 17/22 size, like the one above mentioned? If you are really lucky, your cartridge might just need to be rebuilt, and re- balanced, and machined possibly costing less than $500.00 not including shipping.
That is an interesting thought and I suppose I should look into it but I thought the reason that the 17 series turbo offers better fuel economy potentially is because Exhaust hole has a larger size for Less restriction . When not requiring massive amounts of boost.... ( While I appreciate extra horsepower I was thinking mainly of doing the swap or change over for potentially better fuel economy at low throttle which is what I drive at probably 99.9% of the time) .... can that be machined into a 15 sized housing?

I think the best reason for me for the 17 / 22 is the lesser exhaust restriction of the 17 sized turbine side while the 22 size compressor helps boost pressure come up faster / earlier to minimize the feeling of lag .

But yes if I can get the 15 housing modified for Less restriction Exhaust wise I would probably still have to do something on the other side As well but I'll definitely look into it .... that's a good point and Definitely a cheaper route

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Andy,

You should look at one of these;

About $900 shipped, but be aware that FE, tune dependent, is likely not going to improve. I got lucky with my 17/22,
found a deal on an old one that had never been installed here in the Classifieds, 4 years ago. They're pretty much unobtanium unless you can find a used one.

Bite the bullet when you upgrade, and do like Judson, I believe he got
a ball bearing GTD with the latest iteration of the VNT mechanism. At 400k on your original, it could keep going,
but it certainly doesn't owe you anything.

My $.02.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
A year ago, I let a non guru, but recommended, mechanic rebuild my turbo, or at least that is what he said he did. In May I had to have a new turbo installed by a guru in Las Vegas. I know it costs twice as much, but get the one that works, a new one. Also, make sure your mechanic is on this site's guru list.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
That's why I put an engraved mark on the nut before removing it.
It's just a dot.
Doesn't remove much metal and can't be washed away with solvent.
Component balancing, that is what I was referring to, thank you for reminding me. I am not being sarcastic. The only reason I asked was, I watched a program on television or youtube and watched someone accessing their turbo, pull off the stock compressor wheel and replace it with different style compressor wheel, tighten it up and put it back in and go. They compared the before and after and it appeared to spool up earlier than the stock one did, so they got the results they were looking for.
Many years ago I built a beast motor and had every component individually balanced, that way if one component bit the dust, I could get the replacement part balanced and not have to tear into the motor.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Rrussel11 commented on what I was thinking, I am not sure where you got the idea a turbo with a larger hot side was going to give you better FE,. FE is controlled by your right foot. The turbo he mentions is likely the best candidate for many applications, but your exhaust will have to be rebuilt as this turbo's hot side uses v-band clamps, not the standard 3 bolt pattern we are accustomed to.
That turbo is somewhere near $900.00, hopefully including the shipping.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A year ago, I let a non guru, but recommended, mechanic rebuild my turbo, or at least that is what he said he did. In May I had to have a new turbo installed by a guru in Las Vegas. I know it costs twice as much, but get the one that works, a new one. Also, make sure your mechanic is on this site's guru list.
DonL, I am sorry to hear about your rebuilt turbo problem, the guy was dishonest. The Hybrid turbo I had made is over 4 years old and still as quiet as a church mouse. There are many here that run rebuilt turbos without incident, even the ones right off of the factory floor are not always perfect.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
That's why I put an engraved mark on the nut before removing it.
It's just a dot.
Doesn't remove much metal and can't be washed away with solvent.
I am at a bit of a loss here, have you swapped compressor wheels on turbos without high-speed balancing, is that what you are talking about? Any VW VNT's?
When I spoke of the television or youtube video the truck was a big Power Stroke or Cummins powered truck.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
No my previous posts said how I sent them to Gpop and they balance them if they've been apart.
Often they need a new compressor wheel.
But if nothing has been taken apart and it's just a bad seal,
like in the case of the OP it's already balanced.

I'd mark where the nut sits.
In relation to the shaft and compressor wheel with an engraver, just a dot or 2.

If the nut comes off without the compressor wheel moving I mark the wheel in relation to the shaft.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
No my previous posts said how I sent them to Gpop and they balance them if they've been apart.
Often they need a new compressor wheel.
But if nothing has been taken apart and it's just a bad seal,
like in the case of the OP it's already balanced.

I'd mark where the nut sits.
In relation to the shaft and compressor wheel with an engraver, just a dot or 2.

If the nut comes off without the compressor wheel moving I mark the wheel in relation to the shaft.
I misunderstood your post, I thought you were saying something else.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Was trying to clean my vanes and found that shaft is moving, seal starting to leak and also broke few bolts inside the housing, was considering repairs, including replacement cartridge... in the end bit the bullet and Installed new VNT17 from ID parts, but instead of using adapter and cutting/twisting stock hose I used this brand new one.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Rrussel11 commented on what I was thinking, I am not sure where you got the idea a turbo with a larger hot side was going to give you better FE,. FE is controlled by your right foot. The turbo he mentions is likely the best candidate for many applications, but your exhaust will have to be rebuilt as this turbo's hot side uses v-band clamps, not the standard 3 bolt pattern we are accustomed to.
That turbo is somewhere near $900.00, hopefully including the shipping.
Hi

I think i read the possible mph gain at highway cruise from the kerma site talking about their doka 17 / 22 turbo.

I guess is seems to be reasonable that a larger freer flowing turbine housing should offer less restriction to the exhaust and therefore less pumping losses netting more mpg for the same fuel input ....

Almost like a freer flowihg exhaust helps with mpg a freer flowing turbine can contribute to freer flow?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Kerm@ mentioned something like that, I believe.
In turbocharged diesels not so much. In gas vehicles, a free flowing exhaust is usually good for MPG', due to the more efficient/scavenging flow through. If the now larger, turbo is installed, it may make more boost at a slightly slower shaft speed, requiring less throttle input. Whenever your tune asks for an increased boost pressure, the larger one will produce the same amount in PSI as the smaller one did, but the advantage is more pounds of air will be delivered.