Turbo oil return line

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate

This is a close up of my turbo oil return line, very corroded obviously. It is not leaking at present, but should I replace it? The problem is that it is very difficult to get at. Has anyone done this job with the engine installed?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Uugghhhh-that's pretty nasty-kinda looks like the ones on our cars here in the Northeast USA....I replaced mine on the Jetta I used to have a few years ago,but that was when I replaced the turbo. I don't know how big of a PITA it is w/ turbo on vehicle. You may have to remove turbo in order to get those severely corroded bolts out,as a socket or extractor probably won't be able to grab anything. I don't have the part #'s handy,but they did change the coupling that goes into engine block. Hopefully someone can chime in w/ part #'s......if you end up having to remove turbo-you may want to order another oil supply line for the turbo-they have a tendency to twist when trying to remove:eek:....

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
that is NOT going to be fun to get off at all. If its not leaking I would leave it, and just monitor it. Maybe try brushing some of the grit off to see if the metal still looks as though its maintaining its structural integrity, then if you are ever doing a job that requires turbo removal, just do it then.

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
Thanks for the advice , folks. I shall keep an eye on it and replace when some turbo work needs doing.