Turbo manifold

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
Well turbo finally died. 158890 miles. heard whistling for a month or so but it kept going. Made appoint at dealer where i bought car new 2014. it went to limp mode 2 times driving 130 miles to dealer. The diesel tech there tested for possible reasons for P0299 code, all switching of controls were working, and said turbo is not working. I been running Liquimoly top tech 4200 5/30 motor oil since first oil change from new. Guess i am lucky from reading all other turbo failure's at half this mileage. So new manifold/turbo unit installed, cost $2800 dealer had it in stock. Pricey yes, but i am happy.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i thought those turbos were back ordered, glad they have them in stock.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Nah, ID Parts and most other sources have them back in stock after a year or more of shortage. It runs around $750 for turbo and gasket.

It is almost a must to keep a spare turbo and spare HPFP in one's possession on these cars, seems like one or the other tends to go. I guess my preference would be the turbo, since it does not seem to take everything with it when it fails compared to HPFP. The job does not seem overly complex to replace, just getting clearance between engine and firewall is probably the hardest ordeal.

Michchanel

TDI
VW Jetta 2006 TDI Manual
@eugene89us experiencing the same limp issue and got the same P0299 code recently. Though, this is the 2nd time this happened and both times the oil level was a little low, but still within standards. I added more oil in and it corrected the issue.
There are so many ways to trouble shoot this code- how did you go about Dx-ing that your Turbo was shot? I want to say mine is ok, that it’s the Turbo Boost actuator. I have a VW mechanic helping me. Don’t want to have to get a new Turbo!

Jetta, TDI, 2006, 196k miles- I am sole owner

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
Check for the shaft play, that is one of tell tale signs that turbo is about to fail you dramatically. When I had a restriction to PCV in my diesel Bimmer, the turbo seals started to leak, consuming oil in the process. The DPF sensor temps would be at 600C+ while not in a regen, this was my tell-tale that something is burning down there without a reason. I checked oil level - was low. With low oil, high EGTs, started to investigate. Realized that my oil catch can was clogged and caused PCV to not function. Once catch can was removed and PCV reversed, the turbo seals no longer leak. Thank goodness, no damage done! That was at 50K miles on ODO, fresh out of warranty - now 50K miles later at almost 100K of ODO, still running same turbo, zero oil consumption. But keep in mind, I never had boost issues - turbo was involved because when PCV is blocked, its seals would normally leak to to oil outflow issue. My codes on the Bimmer were for implausible EGTs - it never set MIL, just info only codes. Yours is boost related, so possibly the issue with turbo itself. I would check for shaft play first and look for scoring on the housing. If present, would look into turbo swap.

Here is the link to my other post, but I don't think it is applicable to your code P0299:

My bad experience with Mishimoto Oil Catch Can. (bimmerpost.com)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yet another point that catch cans are pointless on daily drivers

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
@740GLE Exactly, lesson learned the hard way. All I gained from running one for about a year is about a tablespoon of oily water in the cold winter months, blockage of the filter when the oily residue froze for that 1 day a year we got frigid temps here in Mississippi, and a whole lot of headache. I am lucky that no damage came of it, simple reversal fixed the problem. Never again. Engineers know what they are doing, if those were truly effective, we'd be seeing them more often on DDs.

Zoltan81

TDI
2011 VW 2.0 CR TDI 125kW
Hi All, how can I find out if my engine is affected in the oil pump shaft issue (causing turbo failure)? Are specific engine codes/years which are surely affected and worth to check the pump shaft? VW Sharan 2011 2.0 CR TDI 125kW, engine code: CFGBX0AC. Thank you!