Turbo leaking oil

TDi.

TDI
Polo 2007 1.9tdi
Good day.
I am a new TDi owner.
Never owned a turbo or diesel vehicle.
Found an oil leak on the floor.
Took it to a mech. Pulled out the boost pip going to the intercooler.
It had a lot of oil in there.
Below the turbo lots of oil everywe.
Mech says its sweating but in a few months from now maybe 2021 need to recon the turbo.
He also says due to software. It will always happen.

Looking for Advice and suggestions.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You can find oil, some from the turbocharger and some from the CCV, in that charge pipe on virtually any turbodiesel in existence. It just is. Now, if the amount is concerning, then you'd have reason to worry if you poured 1/2 liter every week out of that location, but otherwise you'd need to do some research to see what a reasonable quantity is.

Turbochargers ooze a little oil on the impeller side (intake or compressor side) as a matter of course - the oil pressure supplied to the center and bearings is greater than the air pressure the impeller develops. Since the seal is a non-contact type (I believe it is referred to as a labyrinth seal) and this because of the extremely high rpms reached by our small turbochargers, then a little oil will ooze past and get blown down the intake charge pipes. The CCV also provides a lot more volume in terms of blow-by and other oil vapors, and between the 2 sources you get some condensation and collection there at the bottom of the intercooler.

A lot of people figure you need to run it hard for 10-20 seconds every hour or so of operation to make sure you don't collect too much liquid there. A slug blowing into the intake and into a cylinder wouldn't do the engine a lot of good or it might cause the engine to run away. So running it up on occasion helps keep too much liquid from building up.

Even so, I've never pulled one apart and not gotten a surprise of 200-250ml of liquid that looks like runny printer's ink. Only if I pulled it after having already pulled it within the last day of running.

Now, for the other - oil leaks from the turbo. Ordinarily the only leakage happens inside the plumbing. If there's oil coming from the outside, there would be 4 sources: 1) loose or cracked oil supply line connection(s), 2) loose or cracked oil drain connection(s), 3) leak at intake or exhaust plumbing connections (if it is dripping there you have big problems), 4) oil dripping from an engine leak above the turbocharger such as a valve cover leak. Of these, I think #4 is far and away the most popular.

How is the oil consumption? How often do you need to add oil and how often (that is, how many kms do you go and how much oil do you need to add)? Finding the correct source of a leak such as you describe can take some time and might be tricky.

Good luck sorting this out.

Cheers,

PH

PS: Oh, and "due to software". Not sure what that means. If he thinks that software is exercising the turbocharger more than it should be and therefore wearing it out, then maybe so. They won't last forever. Some brands seem to last longer than others, but I don't know that anyone has run a comparison on that because every installation is different and you'd be comparing apples to oranges. The best thing to make sure the turbocharger is going to last is to ensure you are feeding it clean air, and good clean synthetic oil. VW's approved oils should be your guide to the proper quality oil.

Last edited:

TDi.

TDI
Polo 2007 1.9tdi
Driving the car from sunday to sunday.
Filled around 500ml of oil.

Dont even know wer to start. Will see this weekend. Not sure if its just playing on my mind. But feels as though car is not boosting or loosing power.

TDi.

TDI
Polo 2007 1.9tdi
I changed my turbo today.
so the leak is sorted.
only difference is. it doesn't have the boost it used to. it used to give that crazy boost. now its just like driving a normal car.
mech says its the actuator, he could not adjust it due to the warranty on it. would that lil thread make a big difference or is there something else i should be looking out for?

TDi.

TDI
Polo 2007 1.9tdi
Hi.
After changing the turbo. Still seem to have the leak. Same place.
Could it be that the file(software) is for a bigger turbo. Thefore pushing more oil into this smaller turbo?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Clean the intercooler and associated pipes, if there is as much oil as you said in there and your mechanic didn’t clean the boost hoses and intercooler then a slug of oil can get drawn into the engine hydro locking it and bending some rods.

ironman86

TDI
2014 jetta tdi sedan
Does anybody know offhand if the turbo return line could be covered under the extended emissions warranty due to possibly flow back, or clogged EGR system? Maybe failing were clogged PCV valve? just got my 2014 Jetta TDI back from dealer they put in a new DPF and EGR filter. And it hasprobably leaked a half a quart of oil from my return line looks like the seals and the gasket underneath the turbo and it has just been sitting in my driveway since yesterday at about noon I picked it up. Any info would be greatly appreciated I’m going in tomorrow to tell them they need to fix it it seems like it would be a directly affected part or am I wrong?