Turbo lag

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
I'm getting some lag about 3100 rpm's. My mechanic believes that the boost sensor and or airflow sensor may be on its way out. We also discussed I may want to drain and clean the intercooler. A car had a ton of oil in the intercooler which led the car to rev and blow the engine. The same car had a bad boost sensor and airflow sensor. Any thoughts?

DSLFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Find a mechanic that has a clue, and do some searching on this site, THEN ask questions!

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Check the air filter and snowscreen - be warned, if you even crack the airfilter housing to check, REPLACE THE FILTER - its a one-time press-fit seal on the rubber edge.

Depends how bad your lag is - when I bought the Golftastic I had about 1/2 sec of lag which got better once I replaced the air filter and cleaned the gunked up snow screen. Now with what is either a bad actuator, bad N75, a vacuum leak, or something else, depending on who weighs in with their opinion, my lag is 1-2 seconds. How bad is it?

If you're finding a 'dead spot' at a given RPM range, its probably the MAF. Unplug it, and drive the car - the engine computer will 'guess' at a good value and you should get mediocre, but steady performance. So if the lag/dead spot issue goes away w/o the MAF, thats the problem.

Good luck.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Lag is pre-spool. I've seen what you're talking about in vehicles with bad fuel, plugged fuel filter, or faulty intake sensors.

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Gothmolly said:
Check the air filter and snowscreen - be warned, if you even crack the airfilter housing to check, REPLACE THE FILTER - its a one-time press-fit seal on the rubber edge.
Good luck.
One-time press-fit seal? Could I ask where you came up with this info?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Gothmolly said:
:confused: :eek: WOW! i've heard a lot of strange things but that...sounds horrible! a bad seal will give non filtered air...wich is the relation beetween non filtered air and lag? i'm sure that neither.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Gothmolly said:
Re: air filter seal, read below, or in any other airfilter thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=218104

There is no relationship between non filtered air and lag, other than if you have a clogged air filter, you'll see some lag. Does causality work differently in Espana?
España? hehe...no man...it's a poor country ;) ...
you said that once the air box is opened is necessary to change the air filter... that sound crazy! and this thread is about lag... a clogged filter do some lag, but your answer about the airbox seal isn't about lag and i believe that is false...:)

DSLFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Lag is when you hit the throttle and there is a longer than normal delay before spoolup of the turbo. Falling on it's face when getting to a certain rpm is just that - not lag! Or you could say it's laying down, going flat, etc. Also, that's a bunch of crap about the filter seal, not sure who made that up, except for a guy selling filters: "Uh, yeah. We pulled your filter out to inspect it, and it's still clean, but we have to put a new one in 'cause it's got a one-time use seal" YEAH, RIGHT! Falling off, laying down, whatever, at higher rpms is most likely a clogged fuel filter (1st), bad maf sensor, or clogged intake manifold.

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
Wow! Sorry I Miss represented the problem by calling it "Lag". Anyone else have any feelings on perhaps checking the Turbo "boost" sensor that is located below the left front headlight? My Mechanic believes the mass airflow and "boost" sensor must work together to run correctly. Any thoughts? Should these questions be in tdi 101?

Zacho

TDI
2015 GSW
Wow! Sorry I Miss represented the problem by calling it "Lag". Anyone else have any feelings on perhaps checking the Turbo "boost" sensor that is located below the left front headlight? My Mechanic believes the mass airflow and "boost" sensor must work together to run correctly. Any thoughts? Should these questions be in tdi 101?

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Zacho said:
I think you need to describe your problem a little better. Do you mean to say your losing power at 3100rpm? If so, first thing you should do would be checking your MAF sensor, search the site. And yes, i'd put this in TDI 101.