Turbo lag or what?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
It seems like the car has a fairly long delay from pushing the throttle until the car really pulls. One reason I didn't get a DSG was the delayed response of the transmission but I seem to have similar trouble with the 6MT. I can compensate for this of course but my MK-!V wasn't like this

Manual drivers do you have this lag also?

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
It seems like the car has a fairly long delay from pushing the throttle until the car really pulls. One reason I didn't get a DSG was the delayed response of the transmission but I seem to have similar trouble with the 6MT. I can compensate for this of course but my MK-!V wasn't like this

Manual drivers do you have this lag also?
My understanding is that the delay isn't turbo lag, it is an ECU delay. I could be wrong. I have the DSG transmission and I don't like the delay. I have learned to drive with it thought. Sometimes it catches me when I am not paying attention.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your response. I thought I would avoid this with a manual tranny. I wonder if any other manual transmission drivers have this same delay

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks senez. I wanted to be sure there wasn't something I needed to fix. I'm not a speedster but yeah it is a little lame.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Instant throttle response went away when throttle by wire came out, where the ECU decides how much and when to feed the engine fuel. Emissions are 100% the reason. I can quickly completely floor my car and let off without the engine changing idle speed what so ever. I hate it, but that's life now. This is actually one reason I wont ever give up my mechanical injected Dodge diesel, the engine responds in milliseconds! This video kind of shows the quick throttle response of a mechanical engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Plu0ICXhE4

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I see. I think it makes my clutch work just slightly less smooth from a stop also but I have compensated for that now so it's not too bad.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
There are two effects:

Boost thresholding : the effect where there is little or no boost below a certain rpm.

Turbo lag : the effect where there is a delay after pressing the pedal, when already above the boost threshold.

Which one did you mean?

In my experience, both effects are mild in the Passat, compared to other turbo diesel vehicles. You should try a Toyota Avensis.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Mark I would say that both of those effects are what I am experiencing. The computer constantly nagging me to shift up, to bring rpm down to like 1200 or less and then even when rpms are up where I like them for accelerating, 2-3000, it seems like too much down time from throttle request to response. I am comparing this to my MK-IV. It's unlikely that I will get to try an Avensis so I can't compare that model.

Still I am happy with the car. It feels slow and yet I am often surprised to find myself arriving at (or exceeding) cruising speed sooner than I expected. The car is so smooth and quiet I think it fools me. Sure hope it doesn't get me a ticket one day.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
also, quick jabs of the throttle are completely ignored by all modern diesels to avoid excessive smoke (or dpf loading) if I quickly pump the throttle when backing out of a parking space the idle barley reflects any driver input, but if held there for anything longer than a half second the engine will begin to respond. I forgot to mention- Sport mode helps the car's reaction time big time!

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
also, quick jabs of the throttle are completely ignored by all modern diesels to avoid excessive smoke (or dpf loading) if I quickly pump the throttle when backing out of a parking space the idle barley reflects any driver input, but if held there for anything longer than a half second the engine will begin to respond. I forgot to mention- Sport mode helps the car's reaction time big time!
No sport mode on a manual.