obstin8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003
Mk4 ALH TDI 2002
EGR delete race pipe
EGE cooler delete
11mm pump and lift pump

Hesitation on 1st, the beginning of 2nd, and have to keep the rpm’s up to get the power through 3, 4, and 5 (up to 3k before shift). Checked vacuum lines, fuel lines, filter, intake, no money lights, just installed tune and hesitation started.

suggestions?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I'd get ahold of malone and let him know whats going on. Try to be descriptive as possible.
I'm going to call it and say its a tune problem.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Have you run a boost log?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I take it you have VCDS. If I remember right I usually go to advanced measuring blocks and pick specified and actual boost and choose the log button. I haven’t done it in awhile But I think you can scroll through measuring blocks and hit go. You might want to google “TDI boost log”, I would think that would bring a video up on the procedure

obstin8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003
I take it you have VCDS. If I remember right I usually go to advanced measuring blocks and pick specified and actual boost and choose the log button. I haven’t done it in awhile But I think you can scroll through measuring blocks and hit go. You might want to google “TDI boost log”, I would think that would bring a video up on the procedure
Roger. Thank you. I’ll get this tomorrow.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
it's simpler to use regular measuring blocks. 011 and 001 together is a good basic health-check log to take at first. its a little easier to read since there isn't a timestamp next to each value, and using advanced measuring blocks if you're confused as to what to pick, you'll end up picking too many things and then end up with very bad sample rate of the log which makes things difficult to figure out. for tunes that still use the silly maf, if there are lag issues, the maf could always be a problem. in which case 011-001-003 would be good, or just 011-003

Moparmax

TDI
2000 Jetta
My current mystery tune is laggy like this as well, but it’s not really turbo lag it’s more of a fuel lag. It gets great mileage.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
My current mystery tune is laggy like this as well, but it’s not really turbo lag it’s more of a fuel lag. It gets great mileage.
a lot of that "lag" could very likely be over-advanced injection timing (in the tune) and you might actually be having boost spikes... could be something else too of course. but that's why a boost log is really only the very beginning of things... not always so simple as it appears. and why it sends many a person on a wild goose chase of changing "IQ" back and forth and adjusting rod a million times (blindly, usually) in an effort to try and figure it out. but unless you look at the whole picture and understand the numbers its almost always a fools errand...

Beware of Cat

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I have the same problem. 2005 Jetta tdi. Everything stock. Hesitation and sometimes stalling on 1st, and sometimes hesitation on higher gears. Once the rpm’s finally get higher the turbo boosts. If the car is hesitating on acceleration, if I stop and turn the car off and wait ten seconds and then turn the car on, there isn’t hesitation for awhile. Changed out the MAF, fuel filter, air filter, and throttle body. When I disconnect the MAF and drive in limp mode there isn’t ever any hesitation, so I have just been driving in limp mode :(

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have the same problem. 2005 Jetta tdi. Everything stock. Hesitation and sometimes stalling on 1st, and sometimes hesitation on higher gears. Once the rpm’s finally get higher the turbo boosts. If the car is hesitating on acceleration, if I stop and turn the car off and wait ten seconds and then turn the car on, there isn’t hesitation for awhile. Changed out the MAF, fuel filter, air filter, and throttle body. When I disconnect the MAF and drive in limp mode there isn’t ever any hesitation, so I have just been driving in limp mode :(
With your car being stock, I strongly suggest you your hands on a VCDS cable. Your symptoms sound like " limp mode ."
I do not know what you mean by throttle body, diesels don't have them.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
I'll just toss this out there @burpod is really good at tuning the alh engine.... very happy with the progress we've made with mine. No hesitations..