Turbo issue??

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
I’m new here so hello- I have limited knowledge so bare with me.. Basically I have a 2006 1.9 tdi Caddy with a noise (I have assumed) coming from the turbo. The boost pipe has been changed, as has the actuator (noise disappeared for three weeks after this part put on, the noise returned) so... A ‘new’ (eBay job) turbo has now been fitted and immediately the same noise is heard when on load through all gears intermittently and varying degrees of volume. What else could be causing this noise? No lights on dash and no loss of power.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
ebay turbo may be your problem. I would however check all the boost hoses and make sure one of them has not come loose or is sitting askew.

Don't throw away your old turbo yet, until you get this figured out. Darkside developments is in the UK. They are a reputable source for turbos and other VAG products.

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
Thanks so much, The eBay turbo is making the same noise as the turbo I took off- do you think that’s likely or the noise or is there another issue and both turbos have been fine?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Is it kind of a high pitch whistle? One issue I have found is that upon reassembly the egr cooler pipes have a little gasket in them and if you don’t get the nuts tight enough it allows that gasket to vibrate and makes an awful “dying turbo” noise.

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
Interesting ok thank you, it’s pretty high pitched and squealing but not continuous, it’s normally heard more just before each gear change. The egr has been blanked and deleted.

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
I’ve been emailed a diagram to order a egr gasket but I can’t attach it here? Would you be able to describe where gasket is? @Tdijarhead

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your egr pipes you said have been blocked off. If the bolts holding the plates are not tight that might allow for some vibration. Especially if a gasket was placed behind the plate which I assume it was. The place were the block off plates are is where those gaskets are that can make noise under boost in a car that has everything hooked up stock.

What happens is when the gasket is loose and the car goes under boost that gasket will vibrate like playing a wind instrument.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Before buying anything try giving the nuts/bolts on those block off plates a half turn tighter. That might (hopefully) be all it needs.

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
Before buying anything try giving the nuts/bolts on those block off plates a half turn tighter. That might (hopefully) be all it needs.
thank you so much for your advice, ok nuts, bolts and gaskets, I shall report back-you know how it goes 🤞

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you still have the old turbo, I’m assuming it’s just laying around somewhere? With your finger spin the compressor wheel. Does it spin easily and freely? Is there any damage around the edge of the fins where they might have touched the bore of the turbo? Will the compressor wheel move in and out when you move it with your fingers? Does the compressor wheel move side to side with you fingers?

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
Very little play in the old turbo (which is why I’m not convinced it’s that) and even less play in the new one fitted- both spun freely. The boost pipe was replaced initially locating the sound from the top of that- however, again more wasted time and money for the noise to still be there :(

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Very little play in the old turbo (which is why I’m not convinced it’s that) and even less play in the new one fitted- both spun freely. The boost pipe was replaced initially locating the sound from the top of that- however, again more wasted time and money for the noise to still be there :(

It sounds as though the old turbo is still in good shape. Did you check the bolts/nuts on the block off plates yet?

Are there any holes in your exhaust pipe, such as the flex pipe almost underneath the turbo itself? You can tell by the black carbon that indicates a leak in the pipe.

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
Haven’t had time to check yet and also trying to source correct gaskets, thank you for your suggestions so far- trying to fit around two jobs and a House renovation so stressful times!

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
Sources all gaskets, ready to fit- battery so dead the doors wouldn’t even unlock, this is the third time there’s been a battery issue (first time it was replaced with new battery, last time it was tested and no problems) Could there be any link between this and the alleged ‘turbo noise’ ??

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sources all gaskets, ready to fit- battery so dead the doors wouldn’t even unlock, this is the third time there’s been a battery issue (first time it was replaced with new battery, last time it was tested and no problems) Could there be any link between this and the alleged ‘turbo noise’ ??

Unlikely a battery would cause physical turbo issues. A low/dying battery might cause issues on the control side. I don’t think that would include a noise from the turbo. Is there any chance the noise is coming from something besides the turbo?

It does sound like you have a parasitic draw which you should locate and fix.

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
I’ve got the RAC schedule for 4pm- hoping they can identify any drain on the battery. Multiple parts have been changed to combat the noise and I’m struggling to locate the source as it only presents when driving, revving the engine and sticking your head in for a listen doesn’t work as well if the vehicle is moving 🙈 Awaiting time to put new gaskets on to rule that out as advised on here - really grateful for all help. Have changed turbo actuator, deleted and blanked egr, new boost pipe too.

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
I cannot believe that I have spent in total £2000 on parts for this van and £37’s worth of gaskets has this evening fixed the problem. I literally cannot thank you enough for your help, I have never participated in a forum before and don’t correctly know how to say thank you enough!! Every time we have changed a part and started her up again willing the noise to disappear, it hasn’t and our hearts were broken about ten times- tonight is joyous! Thank you so much!

Katie_S

TDI
Vw caddy 1.9
The 🍺 emoji is appropriate in most cases.
Got it, 🍺 I’ll pop one over there
Your egr pipes you said have been blocked off. If the bolts holding the plates are not tight that might allow for some vibration. Especially if a gasket was placed behind the plate which I assume it was. The place were the block off plates are is where those gaskets are that can make noise under boost in a car that has everything hooked up stock.

What happens is when the gasket is loose and the car goes under boost that gasket will vibrate like playing a wind instrument.
You are a superstar - I have been informed of the correct way to show appreciation……
🍺

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got it, 🍺 I’ll pop one over there

You are a superstar - I have been informed of the correct way to show appreciation……
🍺
You’re welcome!

I’m glad you found the problem. Guessing over the internet is kinda of hit and miss. Keep your old turbo as a spare.