Turbo Clean

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I bought one over 10 years ago in case I broke the hard line trying to get it off , I have 5 TDI’s in the family and have had the turbos off more than once on all the cars…. I still have that line sitting in the package.
I believe if you bought a new turbo , it’s required to replace that line if you want the warranty in case the turbo gives up the ghost in the warranty period.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
I bought one over 10 years ago in case I broke the hard line trying to get it off , I have 5 TDI’s in the family and have had the turbos off more than once on all the cars…. I still have that line sitting in the package.
I believe if you bought a new turbo , it’s required to replace that line if you want the warranty in case the turbo gives up the ghost in the warranty period.
I see what you mean from what I've read people recommend changing it because they say it gets blocked up over time that's why I was wondering instead of replacing it maybe remove it and give it a clean. I've found someone that sells the replacement banjo bolt and copper washers so that won't be an issue in case I break or damage them.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Funny.......I've got one in a package that I bought many years ago also. I have never ground down a 17mm wrench for a back up, I just take it off and wipe it clean and spray carb cleaner through it before putting it back on.
I was thinking it must be a rust belt issue, but seeing where you live.......I guess not.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
My luck with removing the hard line ran out on the last turbo I R&R'd; finally had valid reason to put the braided one into action, after it sitting on the shelf for most of a decade.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I usually put a dab of high temp anti size on top of the flare under the nut for ease of removal next time…..

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I was just wondering I know a lot people opt for a braided oil feed line over the stiff OEM one but is it really necessary to change it? Can you not just clean the original one and reuse it again or is that not advisable once you've removed it?

Thanks
Unless you twist and damage it during removal, leave it alone, it's not a wear item and doesn't clog. I don't know what the braided line adds...

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I bought one and it still sits in the bag too. AFAIK, the stock line does not clog. Plus the stock line, the ID is bigger than the ID on my Kerma braided line (another reason I haven't used it).

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Thanks guys for your replies, to be honest I've read on a few forum posts where people have advised changing it to a braided one but as snakeye said unless i damage it upon removal it should be fine to reuse I reckon.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Since it's a compression fitting into the adapter
the adapter fitting can start to turn first.
Then the compression fitting won't let go.
Unless you can get a custom 17mm wrench on the adapter to hold it.

Otherwise the line twists off with the adapter and all.

Might be why some folks get a new line.

Make sure that, when tightened, the adapter flats are parallel with the turbo parts so you can fit the wrench on it next time.