TURBO: 2012-2014 Passat turbo failures [discussion thread]

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Your b!tching was about the oil change interval being too short and allegedly destroying the turbos, if I remember correctly. Since they didn't modify the oil change interval, I doubt that your feedback is what triggered VW's response. ;)
You are correct on everything, except his b!tching. It was more like whining and stomping his feet.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
You are correct on everything, except his b!tching. It was more like whining and stomping his feet.
At least me and ex-memebrs were b thching about so this is reason we have report failure turbo thread and this as discussion. Do you forget you were saying it's not a big deal since only few of them reported here, but I was reporting from another tdi forum and vwvortex.

And as you were redneck and nothing changed.

Actually it's worst, redneck, self-control forum I have ever been. This is most unrespectful forum. And believe me I'm member on few Porsches forums, few BMW, few sports forums, just cars forums.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
At least me and ex-memebrs were b thching about so this is reason we have report failure turbo thread and this as discussion. Do you forget you were saying it's not a big deal since only few of them reported here, but I was reporting from another tdi forum and vwvortex.
Actually it's worst, redneck, self-control forum I have ever been. This is most unrespectful forum. And believe me I'm member on few Porsches forums, few BMW, few sports forums, just cars forums.
Yeah, we know you have had a BMW, Porsche, etc...

You do realize that you make a point of reminding us every time you post, right?

You are in no way responsible for the warranty extension, so get over yourself.

Bill

tdiot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 350000mi, Mercedes E320 CDI, 96 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 96 Serro Scotty Cummins RV, 93 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 TD.

Are there any spelling forums you could join?:D

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
thanks, its time to get back on track anyway. :D
June build date would be one of the last '14's built so please verify if its a 0020 turbo here> http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=381481
its a little tough to get a picture of the plate, I went in from the drivers side
Yes, difficult to say the least, I've taken several pictures of my 2013 turbo to no avail, so I will try video and then I'll edit the frames. I think I remember the build date of my 2013 was 10/12, but I'll verify that too.
Thank you for the link, I'll post twice there with each year/model/turbo to keep the linking separate.

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Yes, difficult to say the least, I've taken several pictures of my 2013 turbo to no avail, so I will try video and then I'll edit the frames. I think I remember the build date of my 2013 was 10/12, but I'll verify that too.
Thank you for the link, I'll post twice there with each year/model/turbo to keep the linking separate.
OK, I've verified the born on date for my 2013 is 10/25/2012 with the 0005 turbo
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/04/egetuvy4.jpg
And the born on date for my 2014 is 06/16/2014 and has the newer 0020 turbo.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/01/unu2u2u9.jpg.
Info added with separate posts on link previously provided.
A Note about born on dates, at least for my 2014, the window sticker(Monroney label) at the top right has a number under the model etc of 2014167 or the 167th day of 2014, this number coincides with several other papers/stickers on the car interior I retrieved. The 2013 has no number in the window sticker, but dates on paperwork/stickers in vehicle are same as the door tag general date.
Edit:
Yeah! I received my extended warranty paperwork for the 2013. :) My question, does this mean the end to this thread, since it seems as if the issues been handled?
Hopefully it continues to show different techniques to fully repair future failures. After seeing VW handle this issue in this manner, now I'm very happy that I bought my #2, 14 Passat.
Edited: picture of the 0005 2013 plate has been changed to show more #'s

Last edited by a moderator:

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Yeah, we know you have had a BMW, Porsche, etc...

You do realize that you make a point of reminding us every time you post, right?

You are in no way responsible for the warranty extension, so get over yourself.

Bill
I didn't say it's me. Only I said data collection started because it was big discussion on this.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Don't know if this has already been posted here, but check out this article. Anyone think this might have helped convince VW of the warranty extension? I think so!

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/o...at-tdi-turbo-failures-and-problems-79546.html (April 3, 2014)

Especially pay close attention to the comments section. Based on what I read in the comments, I'm pretty sure that the amount of failures reported here on the forum are just the tip of the iceberg:eek:. I think most failures have just been being repaired by VW under warranty, and only a small percentage of them have made it to this forum. Also notice the mention of the "bad batch of turbos," "updated part #," and repeat failures as a result of "something in the hoses from the first time."

TurboDieselPoint

Last edited:

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Good Article. Thanks for passing this along, I'd think we'd all like to know a little more about this bad batch of turbos, Passat born on/turbo manufactured dates affected etc, at least be able to be looking for signs.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
cerisecons---can you shrink your photos, please? for some of us it doubles the size of the page. TIA, nothing against you, this is often a problem.

Cerisecons

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
cerisecons---can you shrink your photos, please? for some of us it doubles the size of the page. TIA, nothing against you, this is often a problem.
Wow that's odd, the pix are usually to small.
These are 50% smaller.
2013 - 0005 w/added numbers new pic.

2014 - 0020 w/added numbers new pic

Getting better with these pictures, it helps to turn off flash and use an additional lighting source.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Interesting article, although not much more than a cut-and-paste synopsis of what we he have here.

As for the comments, there are 8 of them since April 3rd. Hardly the iceberg if the reports here are the tip. ;)

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Interesting article, although not much more than a cut-and-paste synopsis of what we he have here.

As for the comments, there are 8 of them since April 3rd. Hardly the iceberg if the reports here are the tip. ;)
lol, I see what you are saying. Perhaps I was exaggerating a bit.:eek: The point I was trying to get across is that it seems like there are a number of failures not making it to the forum, and some are even spilling over into a somewhat obscure automotive article. Plus, April to August is not exactly prime "turbo failure season!":D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Right, and my point was that exaggeration isn't necessary. It is also unknown when those failures happened and whether any of the reports on that website are duplicates of reports here, unless someone has gone through the list to try and match them up. Either way, that article certainly isn't enough to elevate this to the next level of hysteria. ;)

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
Is there any way to update the first post with a synopsis of the issue and recommended precautions we can all take to avoid issues?

aullein

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6Speed Manual
I know the NMS' are fairly new and not many are modded yet, but I'd bet that not many would fail if they were dpf deleted and tuned:) just a hunch

The damn dpf and regen process with temps well over 1000* can't be good for anything under that hood. I'm no expert/guru but did the pre dpf cars ever have turbo failures like this?? I say that knowing engines and turbos were different from then to now and is not an apples to apples comparison. I am not saying this is solely the cause of failures either, but looking for info/ feedback on what ya'll think.

I'm not promoting removal of emissions equipment just starting convo/ feedback. I have not read this entire thread either. I may be beating a dead horse here

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Deleting emissions equipment is a no go for most of us. It won't pass emissions testing for its intended year with a delete. It can't. Soot coming through would fail it. The dpf is integral to accomplishing this. No point in starting this discussion here again as it already exists in other places here.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Deleting emissions equipment is a no go for most of us. It won't pass emissions testing for its intended year with a delete. It can't. Soot coming through would fail it. The dpf is integral to accomplishing this. No point in starting this discussion here again as it already exists in other places here.

Agreed.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
It was covered in this very thread back in late 2013. not sure what page though but totally worth digging up for a good read- I posted lots of links to videos of other rigs eating turbos and such, both UPS and American medical response have shifted to gassers due to blown powerstroke turbos. To keep the reply simple is your correct and that its not just VW having turbo issues these days but the Passat failures seems to be more common. There is another piece to the puzzle though, Members reporting construction equipment that use a BV50 turbo with zero emission control equipment on them (strait untreated exhaust) and that turbo is also failing the same exact way- so this has most of us very puzzled and no one really knows for sure. I will pm you with the good stuff so this thread doesn't get to repetitive

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I know the NMS' are fairly new and not many are modded yet, but I'd bet that not many would fail if they were dpf deleted and tuned:) just a hunch

The damn dpf and regen process with temps well over 1000* can't be good for anything under that hood. I'm no expert/guru but did the pre dpf cars ever have turbo failures like this?? I say that knowing engines and turbos were different from then to now and is not an apples to apples comparison. I am not saying this is solely the cause of failures either, but looking for info/ feedback on what ya'll think.

I'm not promoting removal of emissions equipment just starting convo/ feedback. I have not read this entire thread either. I may be beating a dead horse here
I'll chime in from a different view point. This particular engine was never offered without the dpf and other emissions equipment. No real way to correlate a have and have not scenario when the have not is a modification to the have.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...There is another piece to the puzzle though, Members reporting construction equipment that use a BV50 turbo with zero emission control equipment on them (strait untreated exhaust) and that turbo is also failing the same exact way- so this has most of us very puzzled and no one really knows for sure. I will pm you with the good stuff so this thread doesn't get to repetitive
I'll chime in from a different view point. This particular engine was never offered without the dpf and other emissions equipment. No real way to correlate a have and have not scenario when the have not is a modification to the have.
Hmmm...

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
.... There is another piece to the puzzle though, Members reporting construction equipment that use a BV50 turbo with zero emission control equipment on them (strait untreated exhaust) and that turbo is also failing the same exact way- so this has most of us very puzzled and no one really knows for sure. ...
Not surprising. There was never conclusive evidence that emissions control was the cause - only conjecture. And there seems to be a swelling in the belief that somehow temperature extremes, however they are produced, are the cause of the failures. But there still is no conclusive evidence as to whats causing the failures. And personally, since the announcement of the extended warranty, my desire for answers has greatly diminished - almost to the point of "I don't care anymore".

originalboxcar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI 6spd
FYI - just another update.

Just over 36k miles and no failure. Only issue I've developed is a subtle suspension "squeak" on left front when driving over bumps.

Paulie

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6 speed
Warranty extended to 2014 Passat.
I asked for the turbo warranty for my new 2014 Passat and I got it; Here is a copy of the email;
Good morning Mr. "Paulie", (I changed my last name : )

I would like to thank you for the information request and to also supply an answer to your question. I researched your concern and found out that VW is going to extend the warranty on the turbo of your vehicle for 01.29.2024 or 120,000 miles whichever occurs first. This warranty extension is posted to your VIN on the VW dealer page so any VW dealer can access this information to display the Turbo warranty extension. Please see me with any questions.

Thanks,
Chris Lange
Service Director
Suburban Imports of Troy
Suburban Hyundai of Troy
Suburban Infiniti of Troy
clange@suburbancollection.com

Hi VW, The 2014 Passat car I bought from you, has an engine code of CKRA, and was built in NOV 14th of 2013. I heard the 2012 and 2013 passat's are getting an extended warranty for the emission controls part that covers the turbo. Will my 2014 passat get that extension? Here i a copy of the article; Turbocharger Limited Warranty Extension VWP-14-04.