Turbo 101 pictures added GURUS invited!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
O.k. I've owned 2 fdi`s. I have decent mostly pre turbo and gas hands on wrenchinng experience. But... I have limited technical expertise as far as putting together a setup with turbo A/R, trim etc. I want to throughly understand a turbos nomenclature(?) to properly fit the correct specification turbo and a few pertaining questions related to adding a setup to my freshly built 1,6 N/A i.d.i. Engine in a 1983 mk1 pickup. I'm probably starting with a BAE kit for the i.d.i. diesel, consisting of a Rajay turbo that needs going thru (A/R & trim unknown, still being shipped) along with the intake & exhaust. I bought it for a good price so it is possible to go alot of different ways. I want the power in the drivable low to mid range.

Turbo guru input appreciated, invited and needed! Let's start with.

* Prox and cons of la larger, medium or smaller A/R for my above stated build.
* what is a good definition of "trim"?
* Pros and cons of small/large trim #. I.E. 0.50 v 1.15 ... or is that A/R?

T.I.A.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I can’t give you the technical advice you requested, but I did wonder if you have oil supply and return on that engine for the turbo. If not, curious how you handle that

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I can’t give you the technical advice you requested, but I did wonder if you have oil supply and return on that engine for the turbo. If not, curious how you handle that
I do have a brass tee in the head that the oil pressure sender is tied into. I may have to pull oil from another source? And of course a return line to the pan.

So far this is only a rebuild able t4ob turbo, intake and exhaust that hasn't even arrived yet. The more I think this thru and read, I realize a low A/R and trim quick spooling is what's needed. I'm still fuzzy on trim definition. I want the "fun rpm range power". My JSW TDI 6m won't outrun a 1980 Barbie corvette, but the JSW is bottom end butt dino'ed well into the real world drivability range. That's what I'm after in the mk1 pickup.

Thanks for the input.