Tuning a 2001 TDI new beetle and associated headache.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I have tuned my 2001 bug before about a year ago without issue. Just tuned my 2003 also without issue. However, yesterday I decided that I needed to back off on the fueling with my 2001 since WOT would yield way too much smoke. I even had my IQ set at almost 8. So I go and program the flashzilla from Malone using new beetle family 106 for ALH 90hp as per instructions. I go and plug it in and follow the screen prompts of the FZ. After a time I get an error of incorrect or unknown ECU. I cycle the key after I reposition the cable to the FZ and try again. Same error. So I go reprogram the FZ in case I had by mistake chosen the incorrect family. I chose again 106 for the new beetle. Same error.
Next I think I will try 105 for the jetta/golf ALH 90hp. I plug into the 01 bug and read the ECU as normal. I then send Malone the file which he returns with the reduced fueling. I ask about the reading issue I had with family 106 vs success with 105 in reading the ECU but he didn't address it in my email.
Next I load the flash and go and flash the car. The flash gets to 3/4 complete where it give me an unknown error, try again. I tried with radio on, radio off, battery charger connected with radio on then radio off, disconnected the battery and ground the terminals together and tried again. Nothing. So now I have a dead car. Conversed with Mark and so well now my ECU is finding its way to Malone to be recovered and flashed with what I wanted. Asked the question again about the family 106 issue I had to which he says the beetle wiring is such that flashing a bug can at times be problematic that even dealers have issues with them (I knew this already).
My question still remains, with the new beetle years 2000-2003 and in my case 2001, do you use family 106 or 105? I really want to know the answer to this.
If one does have to use 106, then why was I not able to read the ECU yet with 105 I could. My 2003 bug I used 106.
Mark is a great guy and takes great care of me but I'm dying to know the answer to this.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I think new beetles are the VW redheaded step child, I don't enjoy flashing them myself.

I don't think there is a good reason for it. One thing I suppose you could try is removing fuse 11 which is a 5 amp which powers the cluster. Not sure if that would make any difference in your case.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, I didn't know that. Too late, ECU on its way to Malone.

Still, what about family 106 vs 105 in the original post? Isn't it supposed to be family 106?

Last edited:

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Justin, you'd be surprised! BTW, my latest auto to manual swap project turned out nice on my 03 bug! I think even you would be pleased.