Tune Time? Out of time?

SignHere

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
My BEW has 403000km on it now and has never been tuned right since i blew up my KP39 and replaced it with a VNT17. I wanted to tune it properly this time back at 230k when this all happened but just haven't had time to get it done.

Now my wife needs to learn how to start driving this manual shifter but I'm worried about it being a little too wild and unpredictable for her. The power delivery is so erratic, huge boosts Lags/surges, etc. I want to set this car up so its easier for her to learn on, know she'll be safe and comfortable driving it, but at the same time keep the plenty of power and fun that I've come to love.

Do you think its ok to get a more powerful tune with drivability @ 400k? Or maybe this car is getting too old now and coming up to end of life? Or getting rid of it and maybe getting something newer with an automatic? :eek:

I don't want the car back to stock because that will be complete torture for me. Its still my daily commuter.
Upgrades * VR6/G60 / Boost Gauge

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
Tuned mine at about the same mileage yours is now, 100k later no issues other than a head gasket. So if it's running fine go for it.

SignHere

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Thanks, Looks like a Malone Stage 2 would probably work real nice from what I've been reading.. I have the VNT17 so I would think the boost creep won't be a real issue compared with the stock turbo.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Yes, a good tune would make it drive better, not worse. And as long as engine has good health (compression, camshaft, etc) and turbo is healthy, there is no problem.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Boost creep won't be an issue, but why limit yourself to a stage 2 @ 18 PSI when those garrett VNT17s are happy at 24 ;)

You should pick up 70-80HP and around 120lb-ft on a tune. It will completely transform that car.

That being said, the G60/vr clutch combo is rated for 250lb-ft, so a stage 2 or stage 4 clutch saver tune might be better suited to you. We have customers who run that clutch setup on stage 4 kits and do just fine, but it will definitely shorten the clutch life.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Boost creep won't be an issue, but why limit yourself to a stage 2 @ 18 PSI when those garrett VNT17s are happy at 24 ;)

You should pick up 70-80HP and around 120lb-ft on a tune. It will completely transform that car.

That being said, the G60/vr clutch combo is rated for 250lb-ft, so a stage 2 or stage 4 clutch saver tune might be better suited to you. We have customers who run that clutch setup on stage 4 kits and do just fine, but it will definitely shorten the clutch life.
3 bar map needed?

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
I thought the G60 was good for just over 300ft-lbs....

Talked to one of the shops that installs the Malone tunes and they told me the G60 was good for a stage 3 custom and what I was looking to do. I'll be pissed if I just did all that work and upgrades to be limited to 250ft-lbs. I was going to go with a stronger clutch, but they convinced me the G60 was more than sufficient.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
3 bar map needed?
Yes, you'll need a 3 bar to hold anything over 21-22 psi.

It's just a single mass G60 flywheel with the VR6 clutch kit, which came with under 200lb-ft from factory. Idparts and a bunch of other shops claim 300lb-ft (http://www.idparts.com/sachs-g60vr6-clutch-flywheel-kit-a4a5-p-764.html) , and we've had people run them on VNT17s making over 300lb-ft for years without issue. We've also had customers have them slip soon after tuning.

It's not nearly as heavy duty of a unit as the south bend kits, and I'd never recommend someone run it on a VNT17. You'll be fine on the stock turbo and are probably making around 270lb-ft. It's a great clutch kit for 1.8T and diesels on stock turbos and the right clutch for your setup, but to say it'll hold 300lb-ft+ long term is optimistic. I wouldn't expect over 30K miles of aggressive mixed driving on a 24 PSI VNT17 tune.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Thank you sir.

Skydvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MkIV
Yes, you'll need a 3 bar to hold anything over 21-22 psi.

It's just a single mass G60 flywheel with the VR6 clutch kit, which came with under 200lb-ft from factory. Idparts and a bunch of other shops claim 300lb-ft (http://www.idparts.com/sachs-g60vr6-clutch-flywheel-kit-a4a5-p-764.html) , and we've had people run them on VNT17s making over 300lb-ft for years without issue. We've also had customers have them slip soon after tuning.

It's not nearly as heavy duty of a unit as the south bend kits, and I'd never recommend someone run it on a VNT17. You'll be fine on the stock turbo and are probably making around 270lb-ft. It's a great clutch kit for 1.8T and diesels on stock turbos and the right clutch for your setup, but to say it'll hold 300lb-ft+ long term is optimistic. I wouldn't expect over 30K miles of aggressive mixed driving on a 24 PSI VNT17 tune.
Okay, thanks. I was planning on going with the stage II daily. I predominantly drive for mileage and don't beat on it, but like having the power there to play around every once in a while. I have been towing a 1000lb travel trailer around the country, so I guess we'll see how it holds up.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have the Stage 2 Daily Driver clutch; the pedal effort is about the same as stock and it is a smooth clutch. At present I am running a Stage 3 tune (18 PSI) and PP764 nozzles (.230's), and really don't know how much power it currently makes, but it is a bunch more than my vnt-15 and .205's were making on the same tune. I am on the fence about getting my tune upgraded to a Stage 4 as I don't want to start breaking stuff, but I am confident the clutch will hold it if needed.