Tune problems and questions.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Emailed Malone but haven’t heard back yet. Since I put my new chips in (99s suck) with my new map. Fuel economy went up but now that I’m driving it a little harder I have a miss under load. VCDS shows fueling going down as the egr opens to upwards of 80%. Do you guys think they forgot to turn off the egr and this is the issue it’s having? I know before I think it just always showed like 4% or something like that. Didn’t look at it when I tried my old tune and map sensor again but there is no miss with the old chips and 2.5bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You emailed an hour ago:confused: The egr is deleted and should be removed, other than that it's likely fueling. Sent a reply.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well it could be the tune, but it's real common for a tune to bring out existing issues.
Years ago I visited a local guru who does chip tune events with Rocketchip. He had 6 cars parked there needing further work. (no idea how may they tuned that weekend)

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Well it could be the tune, but it's real common for a tune to bring out existing issues.
Years ago I visited a local guru who does chip tune events with Rocketchip. He had 6 cars parked there needing further work. (no idea how may they tuned that weekend)

I think there is only a couple psi of boost difference and it’s missing prior to even hitting the boost of the old tune. Tomorrow I’m putting the old tune back on and I’m just gonna run it for a bit. The new tune with more boost actually gets 4.5mpg more. Which I initially figured on my old map not working properly and that it was overfueling and that’s why I thought the updated tune was lower power.

I have no clue at this point. It’s the nightmare of having chips vs a regular tuner things just can’t be emailed. Old tune for the egr always showed the n18 percentage solid at like 4% or something (will verify tomorrow). New tune even at a stop if I idle the car up it get upwards of 80%

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Might try tomorrow changing the iq before going back to the old chips. I can’t get any smoke at all even at full throttle it seems to be running so lean. I get a screaming turbo like it should and showing the boost but I guess it’s not getting enough fuel for what it’s got.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Well now it’s acting up with the old tune. Maybe the new tune was just doing something slightly different in the pump and caused it to show. Gonna see about setting up with the shop to do a full check on the pump and all. Wouldn’t think it would die with 90k miles on it but who knows. The place the old owner had do the work doesn’t know what brand they used and it’s been noisy as **** from day one.

Anything else I should check before spending a ton of money on all of this at a shop?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Rough deal! least the chips work. Andrew Moore @ Canada catalyst is a pretty big wrecker and sells 11mm pumps for cheap when they gets them, might be worth picking up a spare.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It is possible if the engine at idle is really loud, the question is is it all four cylinders, or just one or two? With a pump of unknown origin the "check valves" that attach between the head and the injector hard lines are not seating properly causing a loud knocking at idle. Just a thought...