tune: how much of a difference do you feel?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The PD150 EGR has a clip connector on it, and I think it's larger than a BEW. I doubt the BEW EGR will fit on the PD150 manifold.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
With the pipe welded on the EGR valve the stock upper intercooler hose will fit fine.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Since yo are in CA you might want to find an EGR just in case next time you go for an emission test they check under the hood.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Since yo are in CA you might want to find an EGR just in case next time you go for an emission test they check under the hood.
I was going to use my current egr with 2" inch pipe welded to it. they do rev the car so not sure if it will fail if they see black smoke lol

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Your current EGR won't fit. The PD150 manifold entrance is larger. And you're going to have to delete the EGR cooler.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I believe you can use the stock ALH EGR valve with a BRM manifold. Somebody used to make an adapter to make it fit. The BRM design looks to have better flow than the PD150 IMO.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I believe you can use the stock ALH EGR valve with a BRM manifold. Somebody used to make an adapter to make it fit. The BRM design looks to have better flow than the PD150 IMO.
yeah I saw malone sells the adapter. it would of got that but I already have a pd150 from a bew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
BRM flows better than PD150 .... Malone Tuning sells the adapters to mate BRM intake to stock ALH plumbing.

I learned the hard way (?) that the ALH manifold has EGR cooler mounting bosses built onto it whereas the BRM manifold does not have mounting holes for it (not a big deal if you plan to delete the cooler but requires tinkering if you want to keep the egr cooler.

I may have studs welded to the BRM intake to allow me the option to keep the EGR cooler before installing it

Andrew

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
How I describe it - with a tune and optionally injectors, it pulls as hard in 5th as it used to in 3rd. You don't ever need to downshift to pass someone anymore.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
As I have said before, DFIS, Portland is a top-shelf quality Diesel shop. I have since found out DFIS only balances the first stage. The commercial diesel engines do not have second stages, so they do not have the equipment to set the second stage on TDI nozzles. I suggest you find a different shop to install and balance your first and second stages.

FYI... Here is an example of a possible issue: you send a shop a set of Gibonta nozzles and the last one they do has problems, are you willing to pay that shop labor for 3 nozzles, and buy a set of nozzles from that shop, and pay to have the 4 new set up too? By the time you pay labor on 7 nozzles, you should have purchased from the shop doing the work.

Here is the possible new math: $180.00 lost labor charge for the 3 unusable nozzles, $265.00 for balancing the new nozzles, $250.00 ( or so )for the new nozzles, plus $180.00 labor for the 3 bad nozzles puts you at $430.00 for nozzles labor. It is not worth the headache and extra costs to try to go "cheap" on a set of nozzles. As far as I know, no new, top quality, cost $430.00 a set.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
would a pd150 egr work? I want to keep the egr
It doesn't work with the ALH setup.

It's a bit of a hassle, but you can have an adapter made. Any shop that makes headers has the skillset to do it. You'll need 2 different flanges cut to match the mating surfaces of the 150 intake and the ALH EGR. Then a short section of stretched tubing is welded to mate them together. That was my solution, and I've seen a at least one other old posting about it.