tune: how much of a difference do you feel?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
so I successfully completed my 5 speed swap with a bew tranny and noticed a higher 5th gear (85mph at 2200rpm)

how much of a difference do you guys feel when doing an injector and tune combo?

I plan to get gibonta. 205 nozzles with stage 2 malone

is it addicting when you feel the power? how is it when climbing hills?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Does the 5 speed have a taller than stock 5th gear? 2200 RPM at 85 is very low revs. Stock BEW 5th would be just under 3000 at 85.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Does the 5 speed have a taller than stock 5th gear? 2200 RPM at 85 is very low revs. Stock BEW 5th would be just under 3000 at 85.
believe the donor car had an upgraded 5th. not too sure, but at 70/75 at 4th is at 3000rpm.

not too sure if I should be concerned with the higher 5th. In terms of damaging the engine.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
so I successfully completed my 5 speed swap with a bew tranny and noticed a higher 5th gear (85mph at 2200rpm)

how much of a difference do you guys feel when doing an injector and tune combo?

I plan to get gibonta. 205 nozzles with stage 2 malone

is it addicting when you feel the power? how is it when climbing hills?
Changing the nozzles and going to a Stage 2 tune will be like night-and-day power wise, and climbing hills should be a breeze. Horsepower is a very slippery slope, and money disappears rather quickly once the bug bites. If I were you, I would get the .216 nozzles, that way if you want more power later, you won't need to buy new nozzles. Not everybody will mount and balance the Gibonta nozzles, so you might want to line that up first.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Changing the nozzles and going to a Stage 2 tune will be like night-and-day power wise, and climbing hills should be a breeze. Horsepower is a very slippery slope, and money disappears rather quickly once the bug bites. If I were you, I would get the .216 nozzles, that way if you want more power later, you won't need to buy new nozzles. Not everybody will mount and balance the Gibonta nozzles, so you might want to line that up first.
I assuming stage 3 and some .216 nozzles? I already have a stage 2 south bend clutch. seems plenty of power. I also got an upgraded vnt17 from the donor bew that will bolt on I just need the hose to the intercooler.

also why would people not want to install/mount gibonta nozzles?

I'm thinking of going to my local diesel injection service here and is charging $100 for swap and testing.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I guess the short version is service/repairs...If you purchase nozzles from vendor "x" and they install them, if the injectors act up vendor "x" will take care of it as the warranty is in place. If you bring nozzles to be mounted and they act up for some reason, you will likely have to pay to get them fixed. I am not trash talking Gibonta nozzles, I am just giving you an example.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I guess the short version is service/repairs...If you purchase nozzles from vendor "x" and they install them, if the injectors act up vendor "x" will take care of it as the warranty is in place. If you bring nozzles to be mounted and they act up for some reason, you will likely have to pay to get them fixed. I am not trash talking Gibonta nozzles, I am just giving you an example.
makes sense I got a DFIS here in town so hopefully it goes good

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Mark at DFIS is well known, and well trusted. I do know he will setup Gilbonta nozzles. the DFIS I am talking about is in Portland, not Cali. Do you live in Portland or close by?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Mark at DFIS is well known, and well trusted. I do know he will setup Gilbonta nozzles. the DFIS I am talking about is in Portland, not Cali. Do you live in Portland or close by?
I'm in cali. do you have his info? also what's the cost?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I just got off of the phone with Mark at DFIS and the current rate is $40.00 to mount and balance each injector/nozzle.

(888) 285-1213

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Even if the injectors are "not good" right now, they will be when you get them back. Sending your injectors out to a professional will very likely save you money later.
Are you going for the .216's?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Even if the injectors are "not good" right now, they will be when you get them back. Sending your injectors out to a professional will very likely save you money later.
Are you going for the .216's?
hows the smoke on that? stage 2 with .216 and I already have a stage 2 clutch from sbc.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I have a stage 3+ with PP764, Borg Warner “S7” (mini VNT17), smokeless since the PD150 TIP was installed. Modding is a slippery slope and I have stopped slipping ...for now. It is all about usable power and torque. My car accelerates really hard and it’s a blast to drive. You open the hood and it looks stock. The injectors were set-up by DBW and everything else was installed by Matt-98AHU.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I have stage III, 11mm pump, .205 Firad nozzles and the car is an absolute hoot to drive. Clutch CAN NOT HANDLE it though. And I am getting smoke on hard acceleration. I think it might be an air issue. Will be doing the PD150 intake at some point. Also going to actually go down in nozzle size as I don't need all the power and I don't think it's getting enough air for how much fuel it gets. Highway driving is amazingly better with the tune. Changing speeds with no shifts is a thing of beauty.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I have a stage 3+ with PP764, Borg Warner “S7” (mini VNT17), smokeless since the PD150 TIP was installed. Modding is a slippery slope and I have stopped slipping ...for now. It is all about usable power and torque. My car accelerates really hard and it’s a blast to drive. You open the hood and it looks stock. The injectors were set-up by DBW and everything else was installed by Matt-98AHU.
the pd150 is the intake manifold with egr delete?

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
the pd150 is the intake manifold with egr delete?
It's a different manifold that provides better air flow. Especially across all the cylinders. Most people delete the EGR in the process, but I don't think you necessarily would have to.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
It's a different manifold that provides better air flow. Especially across all the cylinders. Most people delete the EGR in the process, but I don't think you necessarily would have to.
the donor bew car that I used the tranny swap for may have a pd150, I have to double check. would that work on my alh or would I need adapters of some sort?

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
the donor bew car that I used the tranny swap for may have a pd150, I have to double check. would that work on my alh or would I need adapters of some sort?
Sorry, not exactly sure. I haven't yet done it myself. Still in research phase as well. There are a ton of threads here on various aspects of this mod though. Some digging around should get you that info. Or maybe someone else will pipe in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have a PD150 manifold on my ALH. Bolts right up. If you use the EGR valve you have to modify the valve so it'll accept the hose to the upper intercooler pipe. Or you can put a race pipe on it. I have the EGR valve on mine right now because I wanted the anti-shudder valve in case of a runaway. But I may put the race pipe back on, as I think the EGR valve isn't working properly any longer. Not surprising, I put the manifold on my car in 2007(!).

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I have a PD150 manifold on my ALH. Bolts right up. If you use the EGR valve you have to modify the valve so it'll accept the hose to the upper intercooler pipe. Or you can put a race pipe on it. I have the EGR valve on mine right now because I wanted the anti-shudder valve in case of a runaway. But I may put the race pipe back on, as I think the EGR valve isn't working properly any longer. Not surprising, I put the manifold on my car in 2007(!).
I kind of had a feeling Peter would chip in. I am actually working towards setting up my car similar to IBW as I think he has a good handle on the performance versus efficiency dynamic.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I just put the 150 on mine too. The EGR valve won't bolt in without an adapter (I had one made) because the bolt spacing on the new manifold is further out (due to the bigger opening). How did you get yours to bolt in? Or did you use the EGR from the PD150? In that case, does everything else just swap in?

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
My experience with tuned TDI's is that is some smoke under hard acceleration is normal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Depends on how it's set up. With my current setup I have to work pretty hard to get it to smoke. With some previous setups I had to try to keep it from smoking.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
My smokes like a video game smoke screen if I step on it fully. Which I, ahem, um, did to a Prius that honked at me without justification recently. Doh. Making a bad name for diesels! I know, I won't do it again. Promise. But back to tunes and nozzles and smoke. I think a PD150 would help the air to fuel ratio a bit. I am hell bent on 50+ tanks and going to try out some slightly smaller nozzles supplied by IndigoBlueWagon. If, that is, I ever get them back from DFIS. They are pretty backed up right now.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
looks like the donor car may have the pd150. how did you modify your egr? is it something I can purchase

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have stage III, 11mm pump, .205 Firad nozzles and the car is an absolute hoot to drive. Clutch CAN NOT HANDLE it though. And I am getting smoke on hard acceleration. I think it might be an air issue. Will be doing the PD150 intake at some point. Also going to actually go down in nozzle size as I don't need all the power and I don't think it's getting enough air for how much fuel it gets. Highway driving is amazingly better with the tune. Changing speeds with no shifts is a thing of beauty.
When I had a Stage 3 tune with a 10mm pump and .205 nozzles I got 52MPG at 75 on the freeway With my current nozzles and Stage 4 tune my FE on a good day is mid 30's. my current nozzles have gone out of balance, so I am getting new .216 nozzles set up by Franko6, he set up my first ones, and I believe he can fix my FE issues with my current tune.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
looks like the donor car may have the pd150. how did you modify your egr? is it something I can purchase

Not something we sell. I had a welding shop weld a piece of tubing on the end so I could attach the intercooler hose.