TT shifter installed!

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
Part ordered on Thurs., came in this morning, so I had a bit of extra time at work, and in it went. Some observations:

1) The locking of the shifter itself. After bottoming it out several times and having it not grab, I then realized 1/2" means 1/2".
2) a 3/16" drill bit is just long enough by 1/16" of an inch to lock the shifter itself.

It reduced the front to back movement by almost 2".... perfect. All in all, the easyiest mod done so far, and cheap! (Taxes in, $60 CDN for parts) Ordered another one for the other TDI at work.... he tried mine out and just said "yeah, order it". The whole thing took all of half an hour, most of that time playing with adjustment. Nice mild reduction in shift geometry for not much money at all... whoo hoo!

Part# 8N0 711 051A

Gus

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
1) The locking of the shifter itself. After bottoming it out several times and having it not grab, I then realized 1/2" means 1/2".
That's exactly what I needed to hear - I was getting ready to post about how my shift locking mechanism wouldn't "catch." Looks like paying attention to the manual is a good idea.
I will give my TT shifter install another try soon.

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
Sounds like something I wish for my Golf. Any comments on the side to side reduction, any added notchiness or did things get smoother? I'm debating whether to go with the TT shifter or the dieselgeek race SS.

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
Provided it's adjusted properly, there shouldn't be 'notchiness' per se, from what I gather. It feels tighter than the stock, but not overly, side to side is reduced a bit, front to back is reduced nicely. For the price of it, you can't go wrong.

Gus

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
The TT shifter does not affect side-to-side throw, it just reduces fore-and-aft by about a third. Great bang for the buck.

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
Hmm... feels like it does though. Odd. I'll measure the throw on a co-worker's car before I pop one in on Fri.

Gus

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
I read all these props for the tt shifter upgrade so i went to my local AUDI dealer and asked for a price he told me
$57.42 and it would have to be ordered.
Does anyone know where i could get this a little cheaper?
I was pretty sure that i saw members say that they got theirs for around $30. Anyone? anyone?

Thanks Nate

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic sedan galactic blue
Would anyone know if this R32 short shift kit will work on 6-spd 4Motion tranny for 4cycl engine? TIA.

dieselgus

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Variant Black/Black
The Geometry LOOKS similar (holding my OEM linkage in my had as I type), however, the main thing that concerns me is the jutting out piece (coming straight out from the pin to the left as I look at it) may interfere with the hoses etc that would be in it's swing path s you shift. That, and the actual shifting geometry on the 6spd. is probably rather different. For the $64.52 (incl. GST & PST) from the local dealer..... the TT piece is an easy bolt on that is a known working piece. Also.... I don't see a counterweight, the shifting action may be a bit wierd (rough, notchy, the weight is on there for a reason, but I really don't know it's exact purpose)

Gus

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
bigmacf1 said:
Would anyone know if this R32 short shift kit will work on 6-spd 4Motion tranny for 4cycl engine? TIA.
All six speed shifters should look similar to this shape. The five speed shifters are totally different.

The R 32 has the shortest shift of all the factory versions as the pin you can see in the picture is closer to the splined pivot point. The next shortest shifter is the Audi S3 one and then the normal "bread and butter" shifters. They just move that pin further out along that slightly raised section that it is mounted on to lengthen the shifter throw in the car.

Be also aware that there are two types of shifters available - the one above is the later version that uses a spring clip to hold the cable onto the pin. The earlier ones had a ball and socket arrangement.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/Bora Wagon 2002 Black, 2006 Jetta TDI
NRU73 said:
I read all these props for the tt shifter upgrade so i went to my local AUDI dealer and asked for a price he told me
$57.42 and it would have to be ordered.
Does anyone know where i could get this a little cheaper?
I was pretty sure that i saw members say that they got theirs for around $30. Anyone? anyone?

Thanks Nate

www.tdiparts.com

And you get a new cable end.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
thanks for the tip, OKAaron. i just received my order from TDIparts. any good how-to's on this install? I have a Bentley manual but there's nothing like first-hand experience to go along with it.

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Do a search on Vortex for the Audi TT DIY. It's pretty easy. Take out the air intake and battery if you want more room. There's just one bolt that holds it on, but it's been quite a while since I did my install.

Good luck!

Aaron

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
ok, TT shifter just went in. took me a few minutes to get the airbox removed and make enough room down there to work. the install went pretty straightforward, i think the only loose end is the side to side play seems to be about 1/2 in now, whereas i don't remember there being ANY before. it's the play right around neutral, side to side, not going left towards 1st or right towards 5th, just a little looseness 1/2 in around the Neutral area. does this seem normal to you guys who have this TT shifter?

on the other hand, the fore/aft throws are considerably reduced and tightened up nicely, no more hitting the passenger's knee when shifting to 5th. i'd just like to fine tune the side to side play without reducing the travel necessary to get into 1st, Reverse, or 5th. Any remedies?

OKAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
Check your cable adjustments per Dieselgeek's website for his shifter install. I believe it's in the Bentley also on locking the transmission and then the shifter, but be gentle with the black plastic locker on the tranny. From what I remember, this shifter doesn't change the side to side...maybe you're noticing it more since you're paying attention?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
OKAaron said:
From what I remember, this shifter doesn't change the side to side...maybe you're noticing it more since you're paying attention?
Yes, that's most likely why. I had to go back in 3 times yesterday, the last time with my Bentley, step by step, and it turns out it's so easy (who'da thunk?) to get it right. It shifts beautifully btw, thanks for the suggestions on the Dieselgeek site, those didn't really help too much though, since he's talking about this Sigma5 thing. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

bigberg7455

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDi 5-Speed Standard Trans
I have a quick question about short throw shifters on my current car. I am a bit new to everything about my car. My dad was the last person to own my 1999.5 Jetta before me and has done multiple modifications to the car except for a short shifter, he claims. He says that since it is a 1999.5 it still has the mk3 gearbox in it and no one has ever made a short throw for my gear box style. Any thoughts? I've read otherwise just about anywhere else on the internet that I can install one. I would just like some insight before I go diving into this.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
If the three Letter code on the top of the transmission is 02C it is technically a MK3 transmission with MK4 axle flanges. If the code on top is 02J it is a MK4 transmission. However, if I'm correct it will still have a MK4 shift mechanism anyway and should be able to receive this mod.