Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

DOKE-tdi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1999 Jetta TDI
FYI: Good Guys Diesel in Santa Cruz is no longer in business.
Something about being shut down due to some unusual substances growing on their property.

export!

TDI
'02 Golf
I took the drive down to Ohio (only a few hours from Windsor Ontario) and had my TB done by Kurt Smith (ksmitty244). I couldn't be happier. He encouraged me to hang around and watch the process and was very eager to explain everything he was doing. All the while he kept a sharp eye out for wearing/worn parts, not with any intentions of upselling, just to make sure I was aware and the car was getting the care it deserves. He noticed my vacuum brake booster hose was staring to crack a bit and also recommended I swap out my fuel return lines before they start leaking. By the time I got home he had emailed me the part numbers.

It's interesting to watch a pro work. I would have been moving twice as fast and taking twice as long. He was very, very thorough and meticulous. Everything was cleaned before it was disassembled, protected during disassembly and recleaned before bolting back on. I really saw how fiddly this job is - it seems every single piece has to come out at a specific angle with a very specific angle on the engine jacking. It was the best money I ever spent (and I was really toying with the idea of doing it myself).

All parts were sourced from metalmanparts (incl CONTITECH belts) and he emailed me a photo of *my* exact parts layed out on the shop table awaiting my arrival.

He had all the proper tools to lock everything in place and knew the torque setting for all the bolts by memory. He recommended changing out the thermostat while we had the coolant level down and he also went the extra step of pulling the valve cover to replace the cam seal. Afterwords he got the timing right on the money with Vag-Com and also ran all the tests to check for any fault codes. He made an adjustment to my EGR that should benefit me. Saying the words "I treat every car like it's my own" is really really easy but I'm a believer now.

I also got a chance to drive his superbly modified Jetta. Very cool with the extra power, mileage, gauges and trick 5th gear.

He seemed really impressed with the condition of my drivetrain so I'm a happy camper all around.

Thanks Kurt!

Last edited:

cwarner

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta also have a 2001 Dodge ram /Cummins
Just curious if there are more than just two trusted mechanics in Michigan ? I'm looking to have a TB changed and am in the metro Detroit area.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There was once a great mechanic in Ann Arbor, but he recently moved to California.

I highly recommend taking your car to Marty in Fowlerville or going down to one of the guys close to you in Ohio.

Sometimes you have to go a little out of your way to get great service on these cars. :)

export!

TDI
'02 Golf
cwarner I tried to go the MI route and found that jettah is booked solid for a while (good for him!) and the other option was over 3 hours away from Det. Shoot down to Ohio and see ksmitty244. Only a hair over 2hrs to get there. You can coordinate with him and be there and back in one day.

He likes to use his days off as a diesel mechanic to ..... well..... be a diesel mechanic!

EDIT - to be fair I just checked and my mapping software says r90sKirk is only around 2:40 from Det

Last edited:

ksmitty244

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Thanks Scott!
Cwarner, im not that far from detroit. I sent you a PM, call, text or email witch ever you perfer and we can get a time figured out.

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
Ray Revill of Clarksburg WV was on this list for 2 years. His name was removed. Not sure why. I have owned over 8 VW diesels since 1984. He has serviced 4 of them for me since 2005. He is by far the most experienced TDI mechanic in northern WV. Here is just a small sample of some of the things he has done since 2005:

rebuilt IDI 1.6L engine 1986 Jetta - runs great
replaced injectors in 1998 TDI Jetta
Changed timing belt and water pump in 2001 Golf
Changed timing belt and water pump in 2000 Jetta
replaced radiator in 1986 Jetta
replaced clutch in 86 Jetta IDI
repaird A/C in 2000 Jetta TDI
replaced struts in 86 Jetta IDI
set timing in 86, 98,2000 & 2001 Diesels
replaced injector lines in 98 TDI
rebuilt turbo for 2001 Golf TDI
replaced turbo actuator in 2001 Golf TDI
replaced short block for 98 TDI

ksmitty244

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Turbocharged798,
All my parts come from vendors recomended here on the club. Most everything comes from Dennis at metalmanparts.com, and 90% of them are OEM. There are times I will get parts from other places such as idparts, kerma, boraparts, and ecstunning ect.. but Dennis gets most of my business now since I can call him up place an order and pay later, and not to mention his parts are top notch and most are oem.
Im sorry we had some bad blood but I don't like to be accused being called a "self appointed guru", I have been recomened by several and working on these cars all the time and helping members (and non members) out should be enough credit and to prove myself to others in need. Sorry I didn't get back to you on the part brands/numbers, I would be more than happy to give you the list if you would like to call or email me. Before anyone gets work done by me I do go over exactly everything that needs done and all the parts, brands and where their made and coming from. I can and would be more than happy to go back and give you my recommendations.

My concern is that the "P" in PM stands for private. If you are willing to give out private information as a vendor that surely isn't good. As well I know it is highly highly frowned upon on these forums. I know I would never purchase anything from a vendor that releases/released private information even if it was just a PM. You have never contacted me in regards of needing work done or for part names besides in a thread. Like I said if you contact me via phone or email I would be more than happy to give you the names of every and any parts I have used, I have nothing to hide there and would never use questionable parts. I do treat every car as if it is my own and im sure you can ask anyone that has had my service will say the same. Just because we have had our differences over the internet in a thread doesn't meen I will go on the vendors list and say that you are shady or you put a sour taste in my mouth. Especially since we never even done business together and that's what the trusted mechanics list is all about.
Here is my email and phone number, you can contact me and I will give you all the information that you want to know.
ksmitty244@gmail.com
Kurt

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Private Messages

Public posting of PMs never resolves conflict, it perpetuates it. With that said, doing so will result in sudden death -- an immediate ban regardless of the circumstances involved in said private message(s).

If you have an issue with another member in a private message, please contact the forum administration!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I cleaned the recent conversation up a bit at turbocharged798's request. Issue resolved.

arrzilla

TDI
2009 Candy White Jetta Sedan.
Two thumbs up for 4ringking aka John Andryszewski at JA Autowerks. I got the 40K service and the DSG service done last week. It took about 2.5hrs. I had the wi-fi and cable tv all to myself so it was a short wait!

He did an excellent job and explained everything thoroughly. I will be bringing my gf's car here when her 40k is up and will be recommending him to other vdubbers and audi friends.

Bugwithaltitude

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Blue Lagoon New Beetle GLS TDI
I can HIGHLY recommend Brandon at Metrick Methodz in Fort Collins, CO. A couple years ago, the Dealer diagnosed leaky valve cover gasket, Brandon figured out that the oil cap simply needed to be replaced. Then my 05 Beetle TDI started having severe low power issues (low boost CEL). The gurus here and on newbeetle.org said "replace lift pump" but Brandon wasn't so sure...I finally saved up enough money to replace the turbo ($1600 worst case scenario) and he took the car apart a couple weeks ago. Replaced the boost control valve, glow plug harness, MAF, and the car runs great! All the power is back and I am reminded why I bought this car - because it's so much fun! :)

Kobraman

TDI
Jetta TDI 2009 Blue Graphite DSG
Saved by Jon from Marysville Ohio

Friends i've a 2009 Jett TDI sedan with 38K miles. 2 months back the front passenger side made a humming noise when ever i turn left. Took the car to the dealer here in Dayton , voss VW got a diagnostic with wheel bearing bad and 3 wheels are bent. so i paid USD 219 for this diag alone. next they said i need USD 2100 fix all these. so i took to a local meachnic here and fixed the wheel bearing but the sound remains the same. and i found this forum and Jon's shop at marysville. got an appoint this last saturday and he immediatly said the wheel bearing is good and the sound is comming from some where else. test drove it and opend up the hood after 15 minutes found that the engine mount bolt is loose and the engine is about to fell of. he fixed it and tighten the other 3 screws. Friends my car was in HPFP issue 6 months back and the dealer here in dayton called white allen euro fixed it. But they did not mount my engine properly. I'll never step into a delarship again. Jon savd my car and a lot of money. He is one of the honest and most professional people around here.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Kabraman... I'm glad to see this post. I've often been astounded by the... attitude shown by many TDI owners who do not do preventative measures to protect their HPFP because "it's under warranty, and VW will fix it" such as a lubrication additive. As you have seen, warranty work is performed with the same level of incompetency as owner paid work.

hvsmith

TDI
2011 Jetta

Good Evening!

I don't have a TDI (yet) but am planning on purchasing one in the spring/summer. I went to a VW dealership this weekend to test drive a Jetta TDI. While they wouldn't let me drive one because of the stop-sale I was able to sit in both a Jetta and Passat. It was love at first sit when I got into the Passat. While I still haven't even driven one I'm convinced I want a Passat TDI, I just have to save up a bit more for the down payment to get the payment where I want it. :rolleyes:

My only hesitation is the apparent lack of mechanics/gurus in this area. I live about an hour north west of Albany, NY. Is there anyone from the capital region/upstate that has suggestions on mechanics/dealers? I know there are a few dealers around here, but I'm not sure how familiar their service departments are with TDI's.

Thanks! Heather

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'm not from the area, but...

http://tinyurl.com/tdimap

Salisbury Motor Car is listed in Salisbury Center, NY. Not sure how good they actually are. Don't be afraid to drive quite a ways to get a good mechanic.

TDIJetta99 is in Port Jervis, NY
meganuke is in Enfield, CT
Hevster1 is in Columbia, NJ
Kraftwerke is in Braintree, MA

A few options for you, there.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'm not from the area, but...

http://tinyurl.com/tdimap

Salisbury Motor Car is listed in Salisbury Center, NY. Not sure how good they actually are. Don't be afraid to drive quite a ways to get a good mechanic.

TDIJetta99 is in Port Jervis, NY
meganuke is in Enfield, CT
Hevster1 is in Columbia, NJ
Kraftwerke is in Braintree, MA

A few options for you, there.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I want a Passat TDI, I just have to save up a bit more for the down payment to get the payment where I want it. :rolleyes:

My only hesitation is the apparent lack of mechanics/gurus in this area. I live about an hour north west of Albany, NY. Is there anyone from the capital region/upstate that has suggestions on mechanics/dealers?
Welcome to TDI Club, Heather.

This list is intended to identify the best TDI experts in the country -- not the best mechanics or even the best Volkswagen mechanics. For most problems you might have with a VW TDI, you won't need a TDI expert. There are almost certainly local shops in Albany or nearby that can do excellent work on brakes, shocks and struts, starter and alternator problems, even DSG servicing.

When you need a TDI expert because of a low-power problem, or a limp-mode problem, or if it's time for a timing belt replacement, then many TDI Club members think nothing of traveling 50 or 150 miles to make sure that job is done right. The TDI expert is the guy to go to for anything related to the engine itself, or the engine computer, or the turbocharger. For older TDIs he is also the one to see when there are problems with the emissions system, but I am not sure about the newer ones.

So if you buy a Passat TDI, or even before, ask around for the best VW mechanic or best independent VW shop in the Albany area.

Some of the best unbiased opinions you can get are from people who have been in the towing business for many years, because they have towed or flat-bedded cars to all the dealers and shops and because they have heard the complaints from all the people who were left stranded because of shoddy work.

When I lived in San Diego, I had one local shop that did all my brake work, another local shop that installed an alternator for me, a guy I met on a car club site who installed shocks and struts for me, the best alignment shop in SD -- and the guy in Orange County, 100 miles away, who did the timing belt replacements and everything else specific to my Golf's TDI engine. Not every repair or maintenance procedure needs a TDI expert.

polishadidas

TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline TDi
I've got a 2011 Jetta TDi and every now and again I hear a rattle/hum coming from the driver door, maybe front driver wheel. I only notice it when driving at constant speed, and it lasts for maybe 2-3 seconds and then stops.

Any idea's?

Arek

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Arek, it's best if you post that in another thread, either in TDI 101, or in the VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) forum. (Also, search for those symptoms first, although that might not get anywhere.)

eheart144

TDI
none so far
I have a 2002 T4 2.5TDI Caravelle.I found driving it now in the last couple of days that there is a power problem when it gets to about 2200rpm. It isnt always there but it seems to be there 90% of the time. It will pull nicely to about 2200rpm & then will just have almost like a dip in power. But when you take the revs up slowly to over 2500rpm & then when you put your foot down it revs without any problems. I did a service but still the same problem. Is there maybe someone out there that can help me with this please. The mileage is now 118000miles.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have a 2002 T4 2.5TDI Caravelle.I found driving it now in the last couple of days that there is a power problem when it gets to about 2200rpm. It isnt always there but it seems to be there 90% of the time. It will pull nicely to about 2200rpm & then will just have almost like a dip in power. But when you take the revs up slowly to over 2500rpm & then when you put your foot down it revs without any problems. I did a service but still the same problem. Is there maybe someone out there that can help me with this please. The mileage is now 118000miles.
That sounds like a turbo control valve problem or maybe a leaky vacuum hose problem. Have you looked at the list of recommended TDI mechanics?
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dj2b4ww_0cbj2p8dt

thatguydave

TDI
01 Golf GLS Indigo TDI
Trusted TDI iN NY

I'm chiming in here,
Jason from L&S in Port Jervis is an excellent Mechanic. I highly recommend his work, exceptional! A true Trusted TDI Mechanic.