Trusted Chicagoland Mechanic

magdoll

TDI
2005 Golf
I live in Naperville and I need my 80k service done on my TDI. I also have a check engine light for my cylinder 4 glow plug. I could take it to the dealer but... That would be a last resort.

I originally thought JasonTDI, but I left him a message on his website and on his shop phone over a week ago with no reply so he's obviously not interested in my business.

Suggestions?

I saw this list here: https://docs.google.com/View?docID=0ARLui1Im8fhPZGoyYjR3d18wY2JqMnA4ZHQ&revision=_latest&pli=1 but I'm looking for more of a local testimonial.

Last edited:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
magdoll:

Do you do any of your own maintenance work on your car? I do most of my own and might be able to help you if you want to DIY. Send me a p-mail if you want to discuss it further.

Dan

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Not interested in the business?

No. But you have to understand that when dealing with the public that has a lot of unrealistic expectations of time frame on repairs and demands immediate satisfaction it isn't going too happen. I'm booked for 2-3 weeks at a time and TRY to still get in some regulars that come in for small stuff. That often entails me setting aside work that is in progress or scheduled. Thus, this pushes my schedule back and there is a reason I come in at 5 am 3 days a week and usually stay until 7-10pm every night.

One person c an only fix so many cars at a time, return phone calls and email at a time and still have a few precious minutes to help peple here with issues. I use 3000 plus minutes on the cell a mont. 1000 Text messages a month. And 20-30 emails a day as it is. Sometimes they can't all get answered. I apoligize for not being a god....or a demi-god.

And before anyone says hire someone....Some of you know that hasn't gone too well in thhe past and it cause more time, money and headache than its worth.

Rant off.....

magdoll

TDI
2005 Golf
magdoll:

Do you do any of your own maintenance work on your car? I do most of my own and might be able to help you if you want to DIY. Send me a p-mail if you want to discuss it further.

Dan
I can do oil changes, tire rotations, filters, brakes, distributor caps, spark plugs/wires, battery changes... You know.. the easy stuff... but after owning a sweet 1988 Pontiac Fiero for ten years, this diesel thing is kind of intimidating... and 80k is the timing belt so that is super intimidating...

Not interested in the business?

No. But you have to understand that when dealing with the public that has a lot of unrealistic expectations of time frame on repairs and demands immediate satisfaction it isn't going too happen. I'm booked for 2-3 weeks at a time and TRY to still get in some regulars that come in for small stuff. That often entails me setting aside work that is in progress or scheduled. Thus, this pushes my schedule back and there is a reason I come in at 5 am 3 days a week and usually stay until 7-10pm every night.

One person c an only fix so many cars at a time, return phone calls and email at a time and still have a few precious minutes to help peple here with issues. I use 3000 plus minutes on the cell a mont. 1000 Text messages a month. And 20-30 emails a day as it is. Sometimes they can't all get answered. I apoligize for not being a god....or a demi-god.

And before anyone says hire someone....Some of you know that hasn't gone too well in thhe past and it cause more time, money and headache than its worth.

Rant off.....
I was not attempting to pick a fight but I did leave multiple messages multiple ways. I was quite surprised when I did not hear back as you seemed so active in forum. But in case you're curious I'll give you some insight into a potential customer's train of thought:

"Oh a website, that's a cool way to make appointments."
"Hmm... It has been a week... That website looked kind of new... maybe he didn't get my message."
"Oh look a telephone number I'll call that"
"Hmm... It has been a week... Maybe he's on vacation and forgot to change his voicemail, everyone deserves one of those."
"Hmm... It has been two weeks since I called him 3 weeks since I left a message on his website. He is not interested in my business. I'll reach out to knowledgeable people on a website."

Honestly, if you were trying to get a hold of a girl to set up a date and you left 2 different messages, 2 different ways... A week apart... After 3 weeks you'd have to be pretty dumb to think she was still interested right?

Obrmlr Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS 5spd-TOTALED, 2002 Jetta GL 5spd-SOLD
I just had my car at Jasons getting my TB done and some other work and he is one busy man. When I look for a shop to work on something for me and they tell me they are booked 2-3 weeks that tells me they do great work. Jason is swamped with work but is well worth the wait. He is extremely knowledgeable of the tdi's and will give you a truly professional job. My car will never, ever go anywhere but to Jason he does great work and is a very honest person. Im sold!

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
When I look for a shop to work on something for me and they tell me they are booked 2-3 weeks that tells me they do great work.
I'm not sure of that... many dealerships are booked a couple of weeks in advance, and there aren't that many fans around here...

I agree about your sentiments concerning Jason... Some people are worth waiting for, and some are worth taking a drive for... he's one of those people...

Yuri

jasonTDI

TDI
Hey....great....

FWIW I'm still inn the shop. Just started a DSG flywheel swap out on a MK5. Should be done slightly after midnight. Back here at 6:30 for a clutch. Last time I got time to check the web page email? 7-10 days ago.

My wife thinks I should tell some people to sod off. She'd like to see me a bit more offen. Plus she'll be leaving for 5 days tomorrow. I guess that it'll be another week before I see my family....

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Magdoll Had you done your research into Jason you would have learned that he can be difficult to contact. You would have also learned that he is worth the wait.
Sure Jason could hire someone to do his scheduling etc etc but that's an additional expense that his customers would have to absorb.
If I could change how hard it is to reach him I would. If I could change his location I would. But you know what the they say about if's. If if's were fifths then we would all be drunk.

jasonTDI

TDI
Or "I'd rater have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!"

The issue with scheduling is the actual questions that need to be asked are so specific to the knowledge that I have it can't work. I'd end up with the wrong parts and have pi**ed off customers waiting for a car they need. That's even with $10K plus in parts in stock. See the post in the WI mechanic thread for my reasoning on a lot of this.

March, April, May, October and November are far and away the busiest months for me. Those five months are 67% of the business for the year. Especially the spring just got my taxes done months. For example, I did 19 timing belts in April. 5 clutches just to name a couple of the jobs.

I appreciate you all. Some more than others! just kidding....

magdoll

TDI
2005 Golf
I'm glad we all agree that Jason is probably the best around. And I'm being completely serious, that is why I tried to go to him first. Maybe some of you would say I didn't try hard enough...

But now I'm to the point where I REALLY need to get this service done. Since I am driving this car still everyday racking up miles on a car that was already over due for service.

My original question still stands... anyone else have any experience with any other local mechanics?

Seriously... I'm not trying to be a dick... I just want my car serviced... :-(

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
Jason did right by me last summer. I would gladly go three hours for him to work on my car again. I will be using him again for suspension work soon.

straightliner

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Jetta
I can do oil changes, tire rotations, filters, brakes, distributor caps, spark plugs/wires, battery changes... You know.. the easy stuff... but after owning a sweet 1988 Pontiac Fiero for ten years, this diesel thing is kind of intimidating... and 80k is the timing belt so that is super intimidating...

I was not attempting to pick a fight but I did leave multiple messages multiple ways. I was quite surprised when I did not hear back as you seemed so active in forum. But in case you're curious I'll give you some insight into a potential customer's train of thought:

"Oh a website, that's a cool way to make appointments."
"Hmm... It has been a week... That website looked kind of new... maybe he didn't get my message."
"Oh look a telephone number I'll call that"
"Hmm... It has been a week... Maybe he's on vacation and forgot to change his voicemail, everyone deserves one of those."
"Hmm... It has been two weeks since I called him 3 weeks since I left a message on his website. He is not interested in my business. I'll reach out to knowledgeable people on a website."

Honestly, if you were trying to get a hold of a girl to set up a date and you left 2 different messages, 2 different ways... A week apart... After 3 weeks you'd have to be pretty dumb to think she was still interested right?
Magdoll,
Your not alone.
Jason,
You come highly recomended but i have also left messages and email and no replies!
I am not trying to argue but i do have a car that needs some attention by a trusted mechanic. Your very furtunate to have a strong business and i would like to give you the opportunity for some repairs.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Either I'm lucky or I did something right. I called Jason in the morning left a detailed message ie.. name, 2 phone numbers, best time to contact, what work I wanted done and model car. I waited 1 week no response. I called him again and he answered and I set my appointment. I then found out a day later I needed to reschedule and I called him and got him again. I think a little patience will go a long way. My appointment is in the beginning of June.

jasonTDI

TDI
It is what it is.

That's the way it'll stay until late june when things slow down. In at 7am out at 10PM yesterday. Shut the phone off at 2:30pm. 36 calls already was all I could take.

90% of those were from repeat customers.

Again there is nothing I can do when cars show up that have plenty more wrong with them than I was told. That is what it is. It pushes the schedule out even further.

Burn out then sets in.

And no, I have not checked nor answered a single email in 2 weeks plus. So either wait til the slow season or try calling. You might get a call back. Or you might not. Especially those from THIS board that are calling about getting gas cars in. I don't do them. No do I fix automatic transmissions.....Nor do I sell parts....or work on Mercedes.....or Sprinters......

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
It is what it is.

That's the way it'll stay until late june when things slow down. In at 7am out at 10PM yesterday. Shut the phone off at 2:30pm. 36 calls already was all I could take.

90% of those were from repeat customers.

Again there is nothing I can do when cars show up that have plenty more wrong with them than I was told. That is what it is. It pushes the schedule out even further.

Burn out then sets in.

And no, I have not checked nor answered a single email in 2 weeks plus. So either wait til the slow season or try calling. You might get a call back. Or you might not. Especially those from THIS board that are calling about getting gas cars in. I don't do them. No do I fix automatic transmissions.....Nor do I sell parts....or work on Mercedes.....or Sprinters......

you should get more people to work for you and teach them to work on TDI's.
There is never too much work in this economy. If you can expand than expand.

jasonTDI

TDI
you should get more people to work for you and teach them to work on TDI's.
There is never too much work in this economy. If you can expand than expand.
Nope.
No-way, No-how.

I couldn't trust the guy I had after I let his leash out and he got to big for his britches and started cutting corners. That cost me 2x's what I paid him in repairs and reputation damage just last year.

You seem to think mechanics are out there. Well, they are but MOST people don't have the work ethic or they cut corners. I WILL NOT TOLERATE it. Period!

Hey, I'm a LOCAL mechanic. less than 10% of my business is TDI Club business, remember that. One person can't do an entire region.

I'm all for doing nothing else but timing belts and the associated bits around the motor and NO other work but people don't see it like that. Heck, they get testy when I tell them no about a lot of different stuff I won't or don't want to do. Just sent a VERY good customer to a body shop I use for a window regulator. No thanks on that job. Let someone that does 5 a week do it.

As I said, it is what it is. Dariod, you've gotten in many times for work.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Jason I would rather you maintain your quality and have to wait a day or week extra for an appointment. I know from prior experience and other testimony I can trust you with my car and it will be returned to me in better shape.